May 9, 2020
My Specs:

Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 XT PULSE 8GB
AMD Ryzen 5 3600X
16GB RAM (2 8gb sticks)
MSI B450 Tomahawk Max
RM750x 750 Watt 80 PLUS® Gold Certified Fully Modular PSU

I have 2 monitors connected to my PC.

Up until a few days ago, everything was working normally. I'd power up my PC, both monitors would turn on at the same time, and I'd go about my business.

One day I was just browsing YouTube when my main monitor suddenly turned to black. It didn't shut down, it just turned black, like watching a black video. The screen came back after a minute or so. While weird, I thought nothing of it. After a couple of hours, I turned the PC off and went to sleep.

But the very next day, when I powered up my PC, only my main monitor turned on.

I tried tinkering with the display settings, but nothing. It was like my second monitor wasn't even connected.

In a desperate attempt, I restarted the system and what do you know, everything went back to normal.

But the second monitor not turning on isn't the only problem.

I found out that every time I turn the PC on from shutdown, the whole system goes in a weird "state".

While in that state, a few strange things happen.

1) As mentioned, the second monitor doesn't turn on.
2) The sleep option (above shutdown and restart) is not there.
3) When I go to the advanced display settings, the refresh rate is shown to be 1.000 Hz, and I don't have the option to change it.
Image: View: https://imgur.com/a/sD53HFd

4) The AMD Adrenaline Software is gone from the right click menu.
5) When I try to open the AMD Adrenaline Software, I get an error. I think this might be the best lead.
Image: View: https://imgur.com/a/QQ7kCw9

The AMD Software opens just fine when the PC is in its normal state.

I tried mixing and matching my monitors. I tried a single monitor setup. The system continues to go in that state. I'm pretty sure the issue isn't monitor related.

I tried turning off the pc, then I turned off the power supply. The PC booted normally the first time, with no problems and both monitors turning on. I thought I fixed the problem, but then I turned the PC off and on, and the issue reappeared.

So, basically, the only ways to get my PC to work normally is to either

A) Turn it on and immediately restart, or
B) Turn off the power supply after every shutdown.

If I had to guess, I think that for whatever reason, when I turn on the PC, it goes into a state where it doesn't recognize the GPU drivers??? (which are all up to date, by the way)

Also, another problem that might not be related, but probably is, is that even when the PC runs in its normal state, I still get a black screen every few hours or so. I fix it by simply turning the monitor off and on again.

I have no idea what started causing all these problems all of a sudden, but I hope someone here does.

My Specs:

Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 XT PULSE 8GB
AMD Ryzen 5 3600X
16GB RAM (2 8gb sticks)
MSI B450 Tomahawk Max
RM750x 750 Watt 80 PLUS® Gold Certified Fully Modular PSU

I have 2 monitors connected to my PC.

Up until a few days ago, everything was working normally. I'd power up my PC, both monitors would turn on at the same time, and I'd go about my business.

One day I was just browsing YouTube when my main monitor suddenly turned to black. It didn't shut down, it just turned black, like watching a black video. The screen came back after a minute or so. While weird, I thought nothing of it. After a couple of hours, I turned the PC off and went to sleep.

But the very next day, when I powered up my PC, only my main monitor turned on.

I tried tinkering with the display settings, but nothing. It was like my second monitor wasn't even connected.

In a desperate attempt, I restarted the system and what do you know, everything went back to normal.

But the second monitor not turning on isn't the only problem.

I found out that every time I turn the PC on from shutdown, the whole system goes in a weird "state".

While in that state, a few strange things happen.

1) As mentioned, the second monitor doesn't turn on.
2) The sleep option (above shutdown and restart) is not there.
3) When I go to the advanced display settings, the refresh rate is shown to be 1.000 Hz, and I don't have the option to change it.
Image: View: https://imgur.com/a/sD53HFd

4) The AMD Adrenaline Software is gone from the right click menu.
5) When I try to open the AMD Adrenaline Software, I get an error. I think this might be the best lead.
Image: View: https://imgur.com/a/QQ7kCw9

The AMD Software opens just fine when the PC is in its normal state.

I tried mixing and matching my monitors. I tried a single monitor setup. The system continues to go in that state. I'm pretty sure the issue isn't monitor related.

I tried turning off the pc, then I turned off the power supply. The PC booted normally the first time, with no problems and both monitors turning on. I thought I fixed the problem, but then I turned the PC off and on, and the issue reappeared.

So, basically, the only ways to get my PC to work normally is to either

A) Turn it on and immediately restart, or
B) Turn off the power supply after every shutdown.

If I had to guess, I think that for whatever reason, when I turn on the PC, it goes into a state where it doesn't recognize the GPU drivers??? (which are all up to date, by the way)

Also, another problem that might not be related, but probably is, is that even when the PC runs in its normal state, I still get a black screen every few hours or so. I fix it by simply turning the monitor off and on again.

I have no idea what started causing all these problems all of a sudden, but I hope someone here does.
follow this step by step in order (read till end):
  • Try to boot normally to windows with the procedure you did
  • Disconnect from internet
  • Uninstall every gpu driver using DDU (clean and do not restart, also tick all option in AMD option in the ddu settings).
  • Uninstall all the processors (is a must, should be 12 on yours since it's 12 threads, also when it asks for restart, click on no and keep uninstalling all processors) on device manager like this:
    unknown.png

• Uninstall AMD Chipset Software in control panel (if there is none, skip it.)

• reboot the PC to bios, disable AMD fTPM and secure boot (if enabled by default), save and exit, go to bios again, flash to the latest bios (do it again if you're using the latest bios) ver 7C02v3F the one with agesa 1.2.0.7, go to bios after finished updating, then load default or optimized settings, enable fastest xmp profile, then save and exit.

Optional: disable CSM, enable Above 4G Decoding and Resizable bar option (these 2 options wont be available unless CSM is disabled). If gpu supports, why not XD

• if successful, boot up to windows and install the latest Chipset driver (should be ver 4.08.xx as the time i write this), then reboot. Then check in power plan and AMD Ryzen Balanced Power plan is used instead of normal windows power plan.

• Install the latest radeon driver 22.8.2, reboot, and then connect to internet.

*do this all offline until reboot after installing chipset driver, put ram on slot A2 and B2 (slot 2 and 4) if you only use 2 ram sticks, also you may reboot to bios after all of this to set the XMP (and previous settings you did). Download needed files (highlighted word) before doing step 1, do the step by orders.

• Run cmd as admin, then do chkdsk /x /f /r, after that do sfc /scannow

• And check windows update if there is any and install them (except optional update).

• Make sure the psu connected to the gpu is 1 pcie cable per 1 slot (use main cable, not the branches/split) like this:
    unknown.png

ek_e123

Reputable
May 9, 2020
follow this step by step in order (read till end):
  • Try to boot normally to windows with the procedure you did
  • Disconnect from internet
  • Uninstall every gpu driver using DDU (clean and do not restart, also tick all option in AMD option in the ddu settings).
  • Uninstall all the processors (is a must, should be 12 on yours since it's 12 threads, also when it asks for restart, click on no and keep uninstalling all processors) on device manager like this:
    unknown.png

• Uninstall AMD Chipset Software in control panel (if there is none, skip it.)

• reboot the PC to bios, disable AMD fTPM and secure boot (if enabled by default), save and exit, go to bios again, flash to the latest bios (do it again if you're using the latest bios) ver 7C02v3F the one with agesa 1.2.0.7, go to bios after finished updating, then load default or optimized settings, enable fastest xmp profile, then save and exit.

Optional: disable CSM, enable Above 4G Decoding and Resizable bar option (these 2 options wont be available unless CSM is disabled). If gpu supports, why not XD

• if successful, boot up to windows and install the latest Chipset driver (should be ver 4.08.xx as the time i write this), then reboot. Then check in power plan and AMD Ryzen Balanced Power plan is used instead of normal windows power plan.

• Install the latest radeon driver 22.8.2, reboot, and then connect to internet.

*do this all offline until reboot after installing chipset driver, put ram on slot A2 and B2 (slot 2 and 4) if you only use 2 ram sticks, also you may reboot to bios after all of this to set the XMP (and previous settings you did). Download needed files (highlighted word) before doing step 1, do the step by orders.

• Run cmd as admin, then do chkdsk /x /f /r, after that do sfc /scannow

• And check windows update if there is any and install them (except optional update).

• Make sure the psu connected to the gpu is 1 pcie cable per 1 slot (use main cable, not the branches/split) like this:
    unknown.png
Wow, thanks. That's a lot to take in. One question though, how do you know all this? Have you encountered this issue before, or is this a standard solution that might solve the problem?

Wow, thanks. That's a lot to take in. One question though, how do you know all this? Have you encountered this issue before, or is this a standard solution that might solve the problem?
yes, several times, cause i was helping my friend with cpu upgrades from different architecture and yknow, changing stuff without uninstalling reinstalling drivers. this method is actually a collective method of myself, might work might not, but you could call this "refreshing" the drivers or clean new install drivers.

hope you get a good results.