[SOLVED] My PC just restarted itself while I was playing a game ?

Flame1

Honorable
Aug 8, 2017
I was playing Zombie Army: Dead War and suddenly all my screens went black (not even a bsod) and next thing I know is my PC restarted itself.
I have no idea what could have caused it, I played that same game for 40h in total now and never had this happen before, although I was experiencing crashes when launching the game with Vulcan but it was isolated to this one game.
I looked at WhoCrashed and there was nothing there from the date when the crash happened, I also looked at the dump files and there were no new dump files.

The last thing I did was reinstalling all Microsoft visual C++ Redistributable programs which is what Rebellion support told me to do. After doing so I played the game for a couple hours and had no crash until now.

Solution
I was playing Zombie Army: Dead War and suddenly all my screens went black (not even a bsod) and next thing I know is my PC restarted itself.
I have no idea what could have caused it, I played that same game for 40h in total now and never had this happen before, although I was experiencing crashes when launching the game with Vulcan but it was isolated to this one game.
I looked at WhoCrashed and there was nothing there from the date when the crash happened, I also looked at the dump files and there were no new dump files.

The last thing I did was reinstalling all Microsoft visual C++ Redistributable programs which is what Rebellion support told me to do. After doing so I played the game for a couple hours and had no crash until...

Johnwmel

Notable
Jan 21, 2021
Remove the dust.

Information about cleaning computer components, including the power supply.
View: https://youtu.be/gcUSl9K2bZs

https://www.computerhope.com/cleaning.htm
https://www.brighthub.com/computing/hardware/articles/57820.aspx

Flame1

Honorable
Aug 8, 2017
Remove the dust.

Information about cleaning computer components, including the power supply.
View: https://youtu.be/gcUSl9K2bZs

https://www.computerhope.com/cleaning.htm
https://www.brighthub.com/computing/hardware/articles/57820.aspx
I blow out dust from my pc every week, whatever the reason for that random reboot was, I'm quite certain it's not dust. Cpu temp was ~63c and gpu was at ~74c around the time that it happened.

Johnwmel

Notable
Jan 21, 2021
No clues there, lets see if this reveals any.

Please download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it onto your Desktop. If your default download location is not your Desktop, drag it out of it's location onto the Desktop.
If we have to run Farbar more than once, refer this SS.
View: http://i.imgur.com/yUxNw0j.gif

Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system. If you are not sure which version applies to your system download both of them and try to run them. Only one of them will run on your system, that will be the right version.
Double-click to run it. When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
Press Scan button.
It will make a log (FRST.txt) on the Desktop.
The first time the tool is run, it makes also another log (Addition.txt) on the Desktop.
The logs are large, upload them using this. No time delays/Captcha-I'm not a Robot/account/registration needed. Give us the links please.
View: https://i.imgur.com/7UiiqWr.gif

View: https://i.imgur.com/6N1gfOj.gif

The last thing I did was reinstalling all Microsoft visual C++ Redistributable programs which is what Rebellion support told me to do. After doing so I played the game for a couple hours and had no crash until now.

Hello

From your description, you had a brownout, these are usually caused by your PSU

If it was the first time, it could be a fluke, if it keeps happening;

Source a PSU from somewhere and test your system, by doing this you will have circumvented a LOT of troubleshooting

Reactions: Flame1
Solution

Flame1

Honorable
Aug 8, 2017
No clues there, lets see if this reveals any.

Please download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it onto your Desktop. If your default download location is not your Desktop, drag it out of it's location onto the Desktop.
If we have to run Farbar more than once, refer this SS.
View: http://i.imgur.com/yUxNw0j.gif

Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system. If you are not sure which version applies to your system download both of them and try to run them. Only one of them will run on your system, that will be the right version.
Double-click to run it. When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
Press Scan button.
It will make a log (FRST.txt) on the Desktop.
The first time the tool is run, it makes also another log (Addition.txt) on the Desktop.
The logs are large, upload them using this. No time delays/Captcha-I'm not a Robot/account/registration needed. Give us the links please.
View: https://i.imgur.com/7UiiqWr.gif

View: https://i.imgur.com/6N1gfOj.gif
I just tried downloading it through Microsoft edge and it refused to let me because apparently its harmful, tried it again on chrome and same thing except this time it said virus detected.

Flame1

Honorable
Aug 8, 2017
Hello

Source a PSU from somewhere and test your system, by doing this you will have circumvented a LOT of troubleshooting
If that's the case than I'm in a really bad spot... miners are buying out all the psus and I don't think my spare EVGA 750GQ would be a safe bet with my current config (Currently using EVGA 1000GQ).
Edit: It was the first and the only time it happened so far.

Last edited:

Flame1

Honorable
Aug 8, 2017
Here you are.
Alright here are the files:

Johnwmel

Notable
Jan 21, 2021
Here is a start.
Phasmophobia.exe is causing a problem.

Uninstall using geek & test.

Geek Uninstaller
https://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/Uninstallers/Geek-Uninstaller.shtml
http://www.freewarefiles.com/screenshot.php?programid=85466
Just Double click on the program in Geek, that you want to uninstall. If it opens a web page, close the web page & then wait for Geek to present the 2nd step.

Flame1

Honorable
Aug 8, 2017
I have to go offline soon for about 9hrs, anything you want say, before I go?
Phasmophobia is a really popular game from Steam. If I clean wipe it i'll loose all my stuff (level and items) which I know because my friend lost all his stuff when he reinstalled windows and all his programs.
I'd have to find out how I can back up that data (its not stored on the server side) if I was to do this. Also, I was not playing Phasmophobia when the crash happened, I did play it earlier today and I did get a crash to desktop but that is quite common when loading in a map and it happens to a lot of my friends too.

Johnwmel

Notable
Jan 21, 2021
Ok, do your backups, that is a basic of computing.
Here is the error.

Error: (03/31/2021 08:36:14 AM) (Source: Application Hang) (EventID: 1002) (User: )
Description: The program Phasmophobia.exe version 2019.4.7.37553 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. To see if more information about the problem is available, check the problem history in the Security and Maintenance control panel.

Process ID: 67c8

Start Time: 01d725fb5c571ac9

Termination Time: 16

Application Path: Y:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Phasmophobia\Phasmophobia.exe

Report Id: e667da6c-4b92-495f-a360-427260b4c5ad

Faulting package full name:

Faulting package-relative application ID:

Hang type: Cross-thread

Error: (03/31/2021 07:59:03 AM) (Source: Application Error) (EventID: 1000) (User: )
Description: Faulting application name: Phasmophobia.exe, version: 2019.4.7.37553, time stamp: 0x5f218b9b
Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 10.0.19041.844, time stamp: 0x60a6ca36
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x000000000009b9c4
Faulting process ID: 0x2418
Faulting application start time: 0x01d725f8b004f0cc
Faulting application path: Y:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Phasmophobia\Phasmophobia.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
Report ID: 001fef13-2dd1-43fe-9d7b-ae16cbac2b03

Flame1

Honorable
Aug 8, 2017
Ok, do your backups, that is a basic of computing.
Here is the error.

Error: (03/31/2021 08:36:14 AM) (Source: Application Hang) (EventID: 1002) (User: )
Description: The program Phasmophobia.exe version 2019.4.7.37553 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. To see if more information about the problem is available, check the problem history in the Security and Maintenance control panel.

Process ID: 67c8

Start Time: 01d725fb5c571ac9

Termination Time: 16

Application Path: Y:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Phasmophobia\Phasmophobia.exe

Report Id: e667da6c-4b92-495f-a360-427260b4c5ad

Hang type: Cross-thread

Error: (03/31/2021 07:59:03 AM) (Source: Application Error) (EventID: 1000) (User: )
Description: Faulting application name: Phasmophobia.exe, version: 2019.4.7.37553, time stamp: 0x5f218b9b
Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 10.0.19041.844, time stamp: 0x60a6ca36
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x000000000009b9c4
Faulting process ID: 0x2418
Faulting application start time: 0x01d725f8b004f0cc
Faulting application path: Y:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Phasmophobia\Phasmophobia.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
Report ID: 001fef13-2dd1-43fe-9d7b-ae16cbac2b03
Hello

It seems like it was than brownout thing that @Quanticriver mentioned. I just played a bunch of games including zombie army and phasmophobia and my pc was running perfectly fine, before I even reinstalled phasmophobia.
But now if that was the case, is it really a one time thing or is this a sign that I should be looking at a new psu?

DSzymborski

Titan
It might be worth trying out a PSU with a different topology if you can borrow one or get one from somewhere with a good return policy. There have been scattered reports of issues of 30-series GPUs with even high wattage PSUs with less robust topologies. With a 3090, I think I wouldn't go below the top tier of PSUs and the EVGA GQ series, made by FSP, is more in the middle-class "OK" territory.

Flame1

Honorable
Aug 8, 2017
It might be worth trying out a PSU with a different topology if you can borrow one or get one from somewhere with a good return policy. There have been scattered reports of issues of 30-series GPUs with even high wattage PSUs with less robust topologies. With a 3090, I think I wouldn't go below the top tier of PSUs and the EVGA GQ series, made by FSP, is more in the middle-class "OK" territory.
I was looking at some power supplies, namely I looked at:
be quiet! Dark Power Pro 12 1200/1500w
Corsair AX1600i/1200i
Seasonic PRIME TX 1000w (The highest wattage Seasonic psu from what I've found is 1000w)

I was looking at titanium rated power supplies because I saw that pretty much all of them have like a 10 year warranty so I could buy one and not have to bother with another power supply for years to come, also I tried looking at ones that are 1200w and above so that hopefully the fan doesn't have to spin as much.
There's one huge problem though, due to the current situation all of the high wattage power supplies I've found are sold out or really overpriced (£500+)
I don't have anyone to borrow a PSU from, but even if I did I still have not encountered the "brownout" aside from the 1 time when I made the post so I don't think I'd be able to reliably test it. I'm just concerned if the fact that it did happen that one time is a bad sign for the future.
I don't know much about power supplies, I always just aimed at buying a decent brand power supply. I don't have a clue about different types of power supplies aside from that 80+ rates the efficiency.

DSzymborski

Titan
I was looking at some power supplies, namely I looked at:
be quiet! Dark Power Pro 12 1200/1500w
Corsair AX1600i/1200i
Seasonic PRIME TX 1000w (The highest wattage Seasonic psu from what I've found is 1000w)

I was looking at titanium rated power supplies because I saw that pretty much all of them have like a 10 year warranty so I could buy one and not have to bother with another power supply for years to come, also I tried looking at ones that are 1200w and above so that hopefully the fan doesn't have to spin as much.
There's one huge problem though, due to the current situation all of the high wattage power supplies I've found are sold out or really overpriced (£500+)
I don't have anyone to borrow a PSU from, but even if I did I still have not encountered the "brownout" aside from the 1 time when I made the post so I don't think I'd be able to reliably test it. I'm just concerned if the fact that it did happen that one time is a bad sign for the future.
I don't know much about power supplies, I always just aimed at buying a decent brand power supply. I don't have a clue about different types of power supplies aside from that 80+ rates the efficiency.

If and when it happens again, you don't have to go that nuts on the PSU. Something like this is far more than enough, and you won't have fan problems either.

PCPartPicker Part List

Power Supply: Corsair HX Platinum 1000 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (£184.99 @ Corsair UK)
Total: £184.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-04-03 08:40 BST+0100

You'd be a-OK with an 850, honestly, even pushing the GPU, so 1000W is more than enough headroom.

Flame1

Honorable
Aug 8, 2017
I would wait to see if it happens again.
If and when it happens again, you don't have to go that nuts on the PSU. Something like this is far more than enough, and you won't have fan problems either.

PCPartPicker Part List

Power Supply: Corsair HX Platinum 1000 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (£184.99 @ Corsair UK)
Total: £184.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-04-03 08:40 BST+0100

You'd be a-OK with an 850, honestly, even pushing the GPU, so 1000W is more than enough headroom.
Alright ill wait and see then, if there wont be any issues in the next week or two ill come back and mark an answer. Thanks for helping out.
Out of curiosity, aside from the higher efficiency rating and assuming that all parts work properly, how is the Corsair HX1000 better then the EVGA 1000GQ?