[SOLVED] My PC make this random click noise

not.Puffer

Commendable
Sep 8, 2020
Recently my PC have been making this random click noise which I cannot identify which part of the pc it came from, I have a theory it's my HDD since recently I have some problems that could related to my hard drive, but not 100% since I did a lot of hdd check with software and such, and couldn't find any problem whatsoever. The sound sound like this https://drive.google.com/file/d/1hUDlBji4WMQ6H-6SOgOsqOFSUFLE3x6s/view?usp=sharing Happen pretty occasionally and I don't know how to replicate the problem

My system specs: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/yt0biOyypsWud4yY5Dpq2Bv
( My PSU is a Xigmatek X-450, with total output of 400W)

Last edited:
Solution
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

The click does sound like the parking of a head within an HDD. You might want to take a sheet of A4 paper and roll it up, then hold the tube to your ear and slowly move across your hardware in your PC.

You might want to also add your full system's specs. Often times a failing PSU can cause the lack of power to the HDD to behave similarly.

Lutfij

Titan

The click does sound like the parking of a head within an HDD. You might want to take a sheet of A4 paper and roll it up, then hold the tube to your ear and slowly move across your hardware in your PC.

You might want to also add your full system's specs. Often times a failing PSU can cause the lack of power to the HDD to behave similarly.

Reactions: Jason H.
Solution

not.Puffer

Commendable
Sep 8, 2020

Thank you for the warm welcome, I'm sorry for posting this in the wrong place.
I have updated my post with my pc spec and the name of my PSU.

While the method of using an A4 is very brilliant, since I'm unable to replicate the problem, right now it just have been me holding the tube to a specific component, then have to wait for the sound to come out, sometime it just a few minute, sometime it run a half an hour to full hour without any sound which is really time consuming for me to find out where the sound are coming from :(

Aug 22, 2020
How old is your hard drive? Usually clicking/screeching/grinding is a sign of hard drive failure. But from the audio i heard it just sounds like normal hard drive noises. By the way is your hard drive a Seagate or Western digital drive? Usually WD hard drives generate more noise because of the louder disk motor that they use. Seagate drives sometimes you can hear them under a heavy load but 80% of the time they are super quiet. Check to make sure your SATA or IDE connection is plugged in all the way. And check power. If none of that helps remember that hard drives fail within 6-15 years after use. Hell you might even get lucky and have it last 20 years. That is rare though. Sure i found a 80 gb WD black that was 17 years old but that thing shoulda died 9 years ago XD What i recommend doing is getting an ssd and copying all your data from the hard drive to an ssd

not.Puffer

Commendable
Sep 8, 2020
How old is your hard drive? Usually clicking/screeching/grinding is a sign of hard drive failure. But from the audio i heard it just sounds like normal hard drive noises. By the way is your hard drive a Seagate or Western digital drive? Usually WD hard drives generate more noise because of the louder disk motor that they use. Seagate drives sometimes you can hear them under a heavy load but 80% of the time they are super quiet. Check to make sure your SATA or IDE connection is plugged in all the way. And check power. If none of that helps remember that hard drives fail within 6-15 years after use. Hell you might even get lucky and have it last 20 years. That is rare though. Sure i found a 80 gb WD black that was 17 years old but that thing shoulda died 9 years ago XD What i recommend doing is getting an ssd and copying all your data from the hard drive to an ssd
My hard drive is relatively new, I think it about to hit it first year within next month. It's indeed an WD hard drives so I guess it could just be because WD drive make a lot more noise. I opened up my pc cases and try to make the cable that connect to the hard drive more secure now, and the noise seem to be gone for now. This has happened before around earlier this year, I didn't do anything and the noise just gone so there is a chance of it coming back.

have you ruled out the possibility of it being a fan bearing?
I'm not sure if it could be a problem with my fan or not, I only have two fans from the PSU and CPU, and they all seem to be acting normally. My hard drive been acting strange recently and with the problem current gone for now my hard drive start behaving normal like it should. So I suspect it have to do with my hdd

Reactions: Jason H.