Question My PC takes over 5 minutes to shut down or restart

HCTree

Prominent
Aug 26, 2020
Hey, everyone. As said in the title, after the "Shutting Down" screen disappears, my computer remains on for about 5 minutes or even more before turning off completely.
I have searched on the web about this issue and to my understanding it can range from a program running in the background to a faulty PSU.
Also, while it is turning off, the Hard Drive LED remains on without blinking once. I recently installed NordVPN but I have no idea if that is relevant to my issue.
Here are my specs:
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
AMD Ryzen 7 2700 Eight-Core CPU
Corsair Vengeance LED 2400mhz 16GB RAM
ASUS ROG Strix X470-F Gaming MOBO
Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB
SSD PNY CS900 240GB
HDD Seagate Barracuda 2TB

Thank you in advance.

Ralston18

Titan
Consider that the system may be doing updates, maintenance, or trying to complete backups.

Or something else could be going on - some app in a loop trying to "phone home".....

Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer. Windows may be capturing some error codes, warning codes, or even informational events related to the extended shutdown time.

Also check in Task Manager > Startup before shutting down. Look for any programs you do not recognize.

Likewise check Task Scheduler: some application, tool, or utility may be being triggered at shutdown.

HCTree

Prominent
Aug 26, 2020
Consider that the system may be doing updates, maintenance, or trying to complete backups.

Or something else could be going on - some app in a loop trying to "phone home".....

Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer. Windows may be capturing some error codes, warning codes, or even informational events related to the extended shutdown time.

Also check in Task Manager > Startup before shutting down. Look for any programs you do not recognize.

Likewise check Task Scheduler: some application, tool, or utility may be being triggered at shutdown.

This error appeared in three separate days in the Reliability History: 0x80073D02: 9MWPM2CQNLHN-Microsoft.GamingServices
It says it failed to complete that update.
There are also quite a few reports saying Windows was not turned off correctly, but I don't remember any of that happening recently (except for a blue screen I got due to a faulty USB drive).
There is an APPCRASH report of an app called svchost.exe_CDPSvc but I don't know what that is. That report is in the same day as a Hardware Error called LiveKernelEvent.
Except for the ones mentioned above, all the others are normal software or steam game crashes.

As for Task Manager, there are no softwares that I don't recognize. It says the last bios time was 13.9 seconds.

On the event viewer there are many application errors that (to the best of my understanding) it failed to update the drivers for Avast, but I deleted the Avast apps from my computer some time ago.
Maybe that is why it couldn't update it, but I don't know why it would try.
The other warnings on the event viewer are beyond my understanding, but they seem to correspond to the errors logged in Reliability History.

HCTree

Prominent
Aug 26, 2020

I just now discovered that there was a task in Task Scheduler for Avast Services, so I disabled it. Hopefully that will stop the driver reports in Event Viewer.