[SOLVED] My pc won't boot with the GPU installed.

Aug 18, 2019
Hello there, I'll try my best to explain the problem. I just got a gtx 970 about 1 week ago, I had no problems until now, however, just now the computer refused to boot with the gpu installed, removing it and using the motherboards output made it boot.
I tried pluging the gpu into my second pci slot, that worked. Atleast for a moment.
Both of my screens had a picture, I was able to do some stuff, until both screens turned black and the pc refused to boot yet again. Removing the gpu solved the problem. I'll try putting my brothers gpu into my computer later and vice versa, in order to check if this is infact a hardware error.

Does anyone here had a similar problem, or might have an idea on how to fix it?

MB: MSI z97 gaming 5
CPU: I7 4790k
GPU: Gainward gtx 970

If you need any more details regarding my specs or whatsoever hit me up.

Solution
The B2 code usually means that either Legacy ROM has an error, or the Graphic card is having some problem . Stopping at B2 usually means a graphics problem, try removing the GPU and see if the system boots with onboard video. Are you booting in LEGACY or UEFI Mode ?

In the bios on the boot tab check that Launch CSM mode is enabled. Try to RESEAT the GPU back on the PCI-Express slot of your Motherboard.
Aug 18, 2019
maybe the psu is on its way out? how long have you had it for?
About 5 years, however, before I've been using my onboard graphics, so I doubt that this is the cause for the problem. The pc does turn on. It's just that I don't have a screen, neither does it seem to boot. (Normally my keyboard would lightup twice, once before the boot, once after, however, it doesen't with the gpu.) The gpus fan is spinning though.

Is that a brand NEW GPU, or a used second hand Model ? Try to clear and rest all the CMOS/BIOS settings to default values, and then check the card again. Can you see the BIOS POST screen, or the display is totally black ?

Do you have the latest BIOS installed on this system ? Just make all the PCI-E cables are properly plugged into the GPU, from your PSU. List the make and MODEL number of your current PSU.

Aug 18, 2019
Just tried that, didn't seem to work, but I noticed the error code "B2" on my motherboard, I went back to normal, to check if I get the same error code with the GPU in pci 1 and 2 and it does. I am trying to figure out what B2 is at the moment.

The B2 code usually means that either Legacy ROM has an error, or the Graphic card is having some problem . Stopping at B2 usually means a graphics problem, try removing the GPU and see if the system boots with onboard video. Are you booting in LEGACY or UEFI Mode ?

In the bios on the boot tab check that Launch CSM mode is enabled. Try to RESEAT the GPU back on the PCI-Express slot of your Motherboard.

Last edited:
Solution
Aug 18, 2019
Those are pretty much the solutions I just read on other posts regarding the b2 error. I'll try setting
Is that a brand NEW GPU, or a used second hand Model ? Try to clear and rest all the CMOS/BIOS settings to default values, and then check the card again. Can you see the BIOS POST screen, or the display is totally black ?

Do you have the latest BIOS installed on this system ? Just make all the PCI-E cables are properly plugged into the GPU, from your PSU. List the make and MODEL number of your current PSU.
It's a used gpu. It's about 1 year old. Also, I just did set everything back to default. The pc does boot this way without the gpu, but yet again, with the gpu it doesen't. Same error: b2. I never updated my BIOS, as I never had these kind of problems before.
The PSU is the coolermaster G650M .

Aug 18, 2019
The B2 code usually means that either Legacy ROM has an error, or the Graphic card is some some problem . Stopping at B2 usually means a graphics problem, try removing the GPU and see if the system boots with onboard video. Are you booting in LEGACY or UEFI Mode ?

In the bios on the boot tab check that Launch CSM is enabled. Try to RESEAT the GPU back on the PCI-Express slot of your Motherboard.
The pc does bootin LEGACY+UEFI Mode.
It does work w/o the gpu.