Question My processor does not reach 3.90mhz, what should I do? i5 4690k

Aug 30, 2024
Hello, can someone help me, I have an i5 4690k and an h97 gaming 3 and the processor does not reach 3.90mhz, the maximum it reaches is 3.70, I would like to know how I have to make it work at 3.90mhz

processor does not reach 3.90 GHz
That is the maximum speed when a single core is active. As more cores become active, the maximum CPU speed decreases.

the maximum it reaches is 3.70 GHz
That sounds like the correct speed when all 4 cores are active during a stress test. You need a Z series motherboard if you want to run all cores at 3.90 GHz or faster.

Edit - The C States need to be enabled in the BIOS if you want your CPU to use the higher multipliers when it is lightly loaded.

Last edited:

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Some more information is necessary, really. When you say it's boosting only to 3.7 GHz instead of 3.9 GHz, how many cores is that? It's a really big difference; it that's all cores, it's likely performing as needed to, but if it's only getting to 3.7 GHz on a single-core test, then something isn't going exactly as planned.

Though in any case, note that we're not talking huge performance differences here. If you're suffering performance limitations at 3.7 GHz, you probably will at 3.9 GHz here; the age of the parts is far more crucial than 200 MHz one way or the other.

Aug 30, 2024
That is the maximum speed when a single core is active. As more cores become active, the maximum CPU speed decreases.

That sounds like the correct speed when all 4 cores are active during a stress test. You need a Z series motherboard if you want to run all cores at 3.90 GHz or faster.

Edit - The C States need to be enabled in the BIOS if you want your CPU to use the higher multipliers when it is lightly loaded.
I'm going to see if the c states are active and I'll tell you. What stress test do you recommend I do?

Aug 30, 2024
Some more information is necessary, really. When you say it's boosting only to 3.7 GHz instead of 3.9 GHz, how many cores is that? It's a really big difference; it that's all cores, it's likely performing as needed to, but if it's only getting to 3.7 GHz on a single-core test, then something isn't going exactly as planned.

Though in any case, note that we're not talking huge performance differences here. If you're suffering performance limitations at 3.7 GHz, you probably will at 3.9 GHz here; the age of the parts is far more crucial than 200 MHz one way or the other.
When I play I get that the speed is 3700 and very rarely it goes up to 3900 and goes down again and another question is if I do an oc more frequently will there be a difference?

yes but very rarely
That is normal.

101 or a 1001 Windows background tasks means the CPU will rarely run at 3.90 GHz. The other problem is that most monitoring software, including MSI Afterburner, does not accurately track the CPU multiplier when Intel Turbo Boost is rapidly changing speeds. Use ThrottleStop if you want accurate reporting of the CPU multiplier. Run a ThrottleStop TS Bench test and set it to a 1 Thread test. Even during a single thread test, you will not see the full 39.00 multiplier because of Windows background tasks constantly waking up additional cores.

if I do an oc
An H97 motherboard does not support any overclocking. Your CPU is already running as good as it gets. Buying a Z series motherboard so you can overclock a 10 year old CPU a few hundred MHz is not going to be money well spent.