[SOLVED] My RTX 3070 wont fit in my PCIe slot! Can i get some help?

MS230000751

Commendable
Mar 10, 2021
So I just bought all the components for my new desktop I'm building but I'm having trouble getting my graphics card to fit completely in the pcie slot as well as sit flush against the computer case...

I started off doing a bench test and had the motherboard sitting outside of the case and attached everything to it. At this point, the graphics card went fully into the pcie slot no problem and everything booted and worked just fine.

But then I installed it all in my case everything except my graphics card would seat properly.
The back I/O panel is perfectly aligned so I don't think the motherboard is in the incorrect position... but when I try to put in the graphics card, it's like the metal plate gets stuck on the back of the case where you screw down and secure the pcie IO shield before the card can slide all the way into the pcie slot. I can't seem to latch the card down when it is inside the case like this.

This is my gear.

Motherboard: MSI X570 Godlike
GPU: Asus Tuff RTX 3070
Case: Couger Panzer Max-G

Both the motherboard and the case are EATX form factor and it is very easy to install the motherboard inside the case.

I am using the standard standoffs that came with the case already pre-installed for the motherboard offset.

It's like the card can almost make a full connection, but is just short of making it by a couple of millimeters....

Out of curiosity, I tried a USB C 4 port expansion PCIe card and it had similar difficulties seating all the way.

Then I used a M.2 Xpander Card that came with my motherboard and it installed into the pcie slot effortlessly.

I then swapped the old Radeon Powercolor GPU from my old ATX tower and it installed into the new case and booted with no issue as well...

I'm not sure why I'm having such trouble with the RTX 3070 here. I'm wondering if I wasn't pushing it hard enough. But how much pressure is too much pressure?

What would you guys advise me to do for this issue? I am going to try loosening the screws on my motherboard and wiggling the card in tonight to see how far I get. But I'm not sure what else I can try after that.

Edit: So I got it to work - I just had to push a little harder and then once it was in I had to gently lift on the pcie lock with a Spudger to lock the card in. Now everything is working right. Thanks for all your input!

Last edited:

RealBeast

Titan
Just loosen up the backplate that you see from outside the computer -- it has small screws to loosen that adjust the fitting. You can even exchange a lot of them for low profile. Don't remove it all the way, just loosen it to see where it fits best when the card is fully inserted in the PCIe slot.

Jerrythefairry

Reputable
May 3, 2020
I have the Sam problem with an msi z690 tomahawk, rtx 3080 ti aorus master and fractal torrent. The computer booted to bios, GPU fans and lights came on ,but I’m a little nervous because from the looks of it the right side of pcie is fully seated but then there a slight incline upwards as it gets closer to the pcie. I’ll post pictures later but it’s hard to see with the my-d15 in the way