Question My ryzen 5 2600x came... With no protective window?

Pythonbites

Reputable
Feb 19, 2017
I bought a ryzen 5 2600x recently and it came, ok good so far. But the side which displays the cpu has no protective case! Is this a problem? Thanks!

I bought a ryzen 5 2600x recently and it came, ok good so far. But the side which displays the cpu has no protective case! Is this a problem? Thanks!

I'm assuming it was in the standard retail package which includes a Wraith heatsink. In that package the processor should have come in a clear plastic ESD protective clamshell package inside of a small box inside the bigger box, with a heatsink. If the processor was not inside the ESD protective clamshell package I'd get an RMA and ask for replacement, or better yet full refund.

First: shipping outside of the ESD protective clam-shell is not good for the processor as it could now have latent defects that will shorten it's life caused by electrostatic discharges along the way. In other words: just because it boots and runs OK it doesn't mean it will continue to for even a couple of years.

Second: if it's not packaged the way AMD pushed it out of their factory how did it get that way? Who opened it up and left the clamshell package compromised? If you bought this thing thinking it's 'brand new', you may have a used processor and you don't know it. I'd not trust this vendor.