[SOLVED] My storage got reset when everytime i turn on my PC

Oct 3, 2022
okay hi! :) i need help.
so my pc always reset new storage that i installed on my pc. curently my pc have 2 storage

• 256gb ssd nvme (main drive for windows)
  • 2TB HDD SATA
so when i installed new storage. the new storage maybe 1 -2 days working fine, but after that when i turn it off my pc and turn it on again my pc, and boom the new drive its reset like a new
yes like new. its say unallocated in disk management (i try metode buy and installed new HDD SATA, installed new SSD SATA. its all same)
elp :) because this my old data on my old HDD sata all of that is poff gone. and i need more storage on my pc for saving my project and work. r n i using external hdd sata for alternatif
i guessed if my pc not enough power its 550w not enough for my setup? nah idk what should i do guys?

Curently my setup
  • Ryzen 5 2600
  • B450 Aorus Pro Wifi
  • 8x2 DDR 4 RAM Team Delta 3000 Black
  • RTX 2060 Zotac
  • PSU 550W Seasonic Focus Gold 80+
  • 256 GB SSD NVME M.2 VGEN Hyper
  • 2 TB HDD SATA Seagate Baracuda Green
  • Windows 10
the additional drive that got problem, just when i add an new internal source storage on my currently set up. and this additional always reset when i turn it off and turn it on my pc again.
  • Seagate Baracuda Green 1TB SATA3(the old one)
  • WD Blue 2 TB SATA3 (New)
=UPDATE
what method what i have done in the past, and nothing change

• Try new HDD
  • change different SATA3 port
  • try new SATA3 cable
  • reinstall windows
  • turn off fast boot
  • turn off fast startup
  • try change partition harddisk type MBR/GPT

Last edited:
Solution
so my pc always reset new storage that i installed on my pc. curently my pc have 2 storage

• 2TB HDD SATA
so when i installed new storage. the new storage maybe 1 -2 days working fine, but after that when i turn it off my pc and turn it on again my pc, and boom the new drive its reset like a new
yes like new. its say unallocated in disk management (i try metode buy and installed new HDD SATA, installed new SSD SATA. its all same)
elp :) because this my old data on my old HDD sata all of that is poff gone. and i need more storage on my pc for saving my project and work. r n i using external hdd sata for alternatif
i guessed if my pc not enough...

Ralston18

Titan
Make and model PSU?

Disk drives (all - internal and external) make, model, capacity, how full?

How old is your build?

Use Disk Manager to show the disk drives including the new drive when it is working fine and then show Disk Manager again after the "reset".

Take screenshots and post here via imgur (www.imgur.com).

Try a new CMOS battery so the computer will remember its' settings between boots/restarts.

Oct 3, 2022
Make and model PSU?

Disk drives (all - internal and external) make, model, capacity, how full?

How old is your build?

Use Disk Manager to show the disk drives including the new drive when it is working fine and then show Disk Manager again after the "reset".

Take screenshots and post here via imgur (www.imgur.com).

Try a new CMOS battery so the computer will remember its' settings between boots/restarts.
installed on pc r n
  • Ryzen 5 2600
  • B450 Aorus Pro Wifi
  • RTX 2060 Zotac
  • 2 TB HDD SATA Baracuda Green
well this problem since i build this pc in 2019 November its new. sort story, i know this problem when i move my old HDD from my previous pc(no windows included, only data) in my new pc, its working fine at the time, but one day i feel strange "wait.. where my old drive directory" i checked disk management and the old drive say unallocated, when i make new partition all of my data gone. well RIP and then i use that old drive and about 1 or 3 days (its random) my HDD got reset again. its piss me off so i unconected the drive, i gussed maybe my old drive its broken
so in 2020 i try again installed old drive in my pc, its same. try change cable it same. so i buy new HDD. it same. try to reinstalled windows.. it same. try to consult on local forum. nono answer, I think this is consuming a lot of my energy, so that time i think i decide to let it out.
in 2021 i decided using the External Drive. its working fine until now ( Seagate Backup Plus SLim 1TB External)
but... in first 2022 i curious about this problem again so give it try again, i try again installed drive like i did in 2020 its still same, try surfing on internet not find correct answer
this curently storage installed r n
View: https://imgur.com/1c0yGxz

the addtional drive now curently not installed, idk open pc case installed again, try experiment again arrgghhh its take so much energy. but this HDD what i used experimental at that time
  • Baracuda Green 1TB (the old one)
  • SSD APacer Panther 120BG SATA (new)
  • WD Blue 2 TB SATA (New)
this two screenshoot when the old hdd curently installed at that day and this one i used to ask in my local forum in 2020
this screenshoot after reset (im not doing anything, this appears after i turn on pc and check disk management)
View: https://imgur.com/75oHLJ3

and this Screenshoot which the drive got problem
View: https://imgur.com/fRFIVMu

Installed new CMOS hmmm interesting. hmmmm i never try this method, but but... this problem i got since first build this pc and i think CMOS not doing reset a thing in a drive, so if cmos remembering the bios setting or not i think its not doing something in the storage drive.. well idk CMIIW

Ralston18

Titan
PSU being 3 years old - correct? History of heavy used for gaming?

External drive: It is being powered via host PC USB or does the external drive have its' own independent power source?

• 256 GB SSD NVME M.2 VGEN Hyper = C: Boot Drive - correct?
  • 2 TB HDD SATA Baracuda Green = Partitioned into D: and E: - correct?

This Motherboard?

https://download.gigabyte.com/FileList/Manual/mb_manual_b450-aorus-pro-wifi_1101_210618_e.pdf

Verify that I found the applicable User Manual.

First, review the entire User Manual to ensure that all installed components are fully supported, correctly connected, and configured.

Second, take a closer look at the SATA connections being used per physically numbered Pages 16 & 17 including the two Installation Notices.

Leave the external drive disconnected for now.

Objective is to establish a computer that will boot without any problems and all three drives (C:, D:, and E:) constantly appearing.

Oct 3, 2022
PSU being 3 years old - correct? History of heavy used for gaming?

External drive: It is being powered via host PC USB or does the external drive have its' own independent power source?

• 256 GB SSD NVME M.2 VGEN Hyper = C: Boot Drive - correct?
  • 2 TB HDD SATA Baracuda Green = Partitioned into D: and E: - correct?
This Motherboard?

https://download.gigabyte.com/FileList/Manual/mb_manual_b450-aorus-pro-wifi_1101_210618_e.pdf

Verify that I found the applicable User Manual.

First, review the entire User Manual to ensure that all installed components are fully supported, correctly connected, and configured.

Second, take a closer look at the SATA connections being used per physically numbered Pages 16 & 17 including the two Installation Notices.

Leave the external drive disconnected for now.

Objective is to establish a computer that will boot without any problems and all three drives (C:, D:, and E:) constantly appearing.
Yep 3 years old now. nope am an artist, for gaming i just play game like a genshin, or some indie game like stardew valley or hollow knight, and party coop game like fall guys, and a FPS game just APEX in low setting and Valorant in Custom low setting and the average pc turns on about 6-12 hours a day and average gaming 2-4 hours
External data currently im using now being powered with USB
  • C: Boot Drive - correct? YES
  • Partitioned into D: and E: - correct? YES
User manual. yes i did it at that day, its correct for the SSD on the M2A_Socket because my SSD support PCIe Gen 3.0x4 Form Factor M.2 (2280) for the HDD my HardDrive Support SATA 6 Gb/s Connector so im on SATA3. i try 4 all of that connector port. for pin on SATA3 im not changing anything, its originally from factory

:)

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
"Reset like new" suggests that the computer may be reverting to default settings. May be lost if the CMOS battery is faltering or failing.

Take a look in Reliability History.

See if the system is capturing any error codes, warnings, or even informational events that may be being captured when there are drive resets.

Also: be sure to back up all important data at least 2 x to other locations off of the current computer. Confirm that the backups are recoverable and readable.

Just in case.....

Do you have access to another known working PSU that can be swapped in for testing?

well this problem since i build this pc in 2019 November its new. sort story, i know this problem when i move my old HDD from my previous pc(no windows included, only data) in my new pc, its working fine at the time, but one day i feel strange "wait.. where my old drive directory" i checked disk management and the old drive say unallocated, when i make new partition all of my data gone. well RIP and then i use that old drive and about 1 or 3 days (its random) my HDD got reset again. its piss me off so i unconected the drive, i gussed maybe my old drive its broken
so in 2020 i try again installed old drive in my pc, its same. try change cable it same. so i buy new HDD. it same. try to reinstalled windows.. it same. try to consult on local forum. nono answer, I think this is consuming a lot of my energy, so that time i think i decide to let it out.
in 2021 i decided using the External Drive. its working fine until now ( Seagate Backup Plus SLim 1TB External)
but... in first 2022 i curious about this problem again so give it try again, i try again installed drive like i did in 2020 its still same, try surfing on internet not find correct answer
Your problem description is so chaotic. Really hard to follow.

So which one of those drives is the problematic one? (the one that gets unallocated all the time)?
Is the problematic drive internally or externally connected (via USB)?

With external drives you have to perform safe removal, before they can be disconnected physically.
You know that? Right?

Safely-eject-device.jpg

I'd suggest you turn off Fast Startup in windows and
Fast Boot in BIOS.
Those 2 settings can cause the exact problem, you're describing.

Fast Startup:
https://www.windowscentral.com/how-disable-windows-10-fast-startup
Fast Boot:

Try a different SATA port. I could see a power supply causing the issue, but I've had a port itself go bad. Having a partition disappear is a more serious issue than corruption, and often if there is a brownout (versus full power loss) data will corrupt due to writing with marginal power. Loss of a partition sounds more like the SATA link itself is lying to the motherboard about what is there, followed by overwriting what might have still been present (even if the data is corrupt the data is usually still there, and partition metadata only writes during partitioning, not when writing to data within the partition, although power issues could cause accidental corruption of partition metadata, but this is less likely).

Oct 3, 2022
Your problem description is so chaotic. Really hard to follow.

So which one of those drives is the problematic one? (the one that gets unallocated all the time)?
Is the problematic drive internally or externally connected (via USB)?

With external drives you have to perform safe removal, before they can be disconnected physically.
You know that? Right?

Safely-eject-device.jpg

I'd suggest you turn off Fast Startup in windows and
Fast Boot in BIOS.
Those 2 settings can cause the exact problem, you're describing.

Fast Startup:
https://www.windowscentral.com/how-disable-windows-10-fast-startup
Fast Boot:

welp, i'll try make it simple.
that two storage currently installed on my pc now. its working fine, but when i try add new storage form old or new storage. this additional got the problem, if i make partition from additional storage, it will reset randomly after i turn it on again my pc.
so, now for additional storage i use from External SATA USB Drive
turn off fast startup yes i already did. turn off Fast Boot yes i already did. nothing change

Oct 3, 2022
Try a different SATA port. I could see a power supply causing the issue, but I've had a port itself go bad. Having a partition disappear is a more serious issue than corruption, and often if there is a brownout (versus full power loss) data will corrupt due to writing with marginal power. Loss of a partition sounds more like the SATA link itself is lying to the motherboard about what is there, followed by overwriting what might have still been present (even if the data is corrupt the data is usually still there, and partition metadata only writes during partitioning, not when writing to data within the partition, although power issues could cause accidental corruption of partition metadata, but this is less likely).
try different sata port Yes i already did. nothing change. recovery data on my old drive, yes i already did too. but mostly data is corrupt

Oct 3, 2022
"Reset like new" suggests that the computer may be reverting to default settings. May be lost if the CMOS battery is faltering or failing.

Take a look in Reliability History.

See if the system is capturing any error codes, warnings, or even informational events that may be being captured when there are drive resets.

Also: be sure to back up all important data at least 2 x to other locations off of the current computer. Confirm that the backups are recoverable and readable.

Just in case.....

Do you have access to another known working PSU that can be swapped in for testing?
Reliability History? hmm idk about this, hmm i'll give it a try
nope i only have one PSU, once i thought to try this method and buy a new one with high power

when i try add new storage form old or new storage. this additional got the problem, if i make partition from additional storage, it will reset randomly after i turn it on again my pc.
so, now for additional storage i use from External SATA USB Drive
So this new storage - is it internally or externally connected?

If I'm understanding this correctly - this "new storage" was connected to a different pc before. Right?
Was it internally or externally connected to the previous pc?

For external drives to be moved between computers, it has to be safely removed each time.
For internal drive to be moved between computers, on both computers disable fast boot and fast startup.
And when connecting/disconnecting internal drive, computer has to be turned off. Do not connect/disconnect internal drive on a live computer.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2022
So this new storage - is it internally or externally connected?

If I'm understanding this correctly - this "new storage" was connected to a different pc before. Right?
Was it internally or externally connected to the previous pc?

For external drives to be moved between computers, it has to be safely removed each time.
For internal drive to be moved between computers, on both computers disable fast boot and fast startup.
wait my brain hurt lol.
hmmm i'll clarify, the storage currently i use now is "working fine"
  • 256 GB SSD NVME M.2 VGEN Hyper (this use for windows)
  • 2 TB HDD SATA Baracuda Green SATA3 (this use for data saving)
  • 1 TB Extenal Seagate Backup Plus USB SATA (this use for data saving)
the storage got problem when i add "new internal storage"

• 1TB Baracuda Green SATA3 ( the old one that save my data from my previous pc)
  • 2TB WD Blue SATA3 ( this new drive i bought when i guessed maybe my old drive broken)

this additional storage will randomly reset about maybe 1-3 days. it will only detect on disk management when i turn it on my pc. so if i want to use this additional storage i must make new partition again and again after i turn it off and turn it on pc again like just add new drive. it piss me off, so for now i use that 1 TB Extenal Seagate Backup Plus USB SATA for data saving

the storage got problem when i add "new internal storage"
  • 1TB Baracuda Green SATA3 ( the old one that save my data from my previous pc)
  • 2TB WD Blue SATA3 ( this new drive i bought when i guessed maybe my old drive broken)
this additional storage will randomly reset about maybe 1-3 days. it will only detect on disk management when i turn it on my pc. so if i want to use this additional storage i must make new partition again and again after i turn it off and turn it on pc again like just add new drive. it piss me off
So - those are internally connected drives (with sata cables).
Can you show HDtune health report for those 2 drives?

https://www.hdtune.com/download.html

Oct 3, 2022

• 2TB HDD SATA
i guessed if my pc not enough power its 550w not enough for my setup? nah idk what should i do guys?

Curently my setup
  • Ryzen 5 2600
  • B450 Aorus Pro Wifi
  • RTX 2060 Zotac
  • 2 TB HDD SATA Seagate Baracuda Green
  • Windows 10
the additional drive that got problem, just when i add an new internal source storage on my currently set up. and this additional always reset when i turn it off and turn it on my pc again.
  • Seagate Baracuda Green 1TB SATA3(the old one)
  • WD Blue 2 TB SATA3 (New)
=UPDATE
what method what i have done in the past, and nothing change

• Try new HDD
  • change different SATA3 port
  • try new SATA3 cable
  • reinstall windows
  • turn off fast boot
  • turn off fast startup
  • try change partition harddisk type MBR/GPT
SOLVED

i try change CMOS and install new ssd. replace my old ssd, somehow it fixed (0_0" so why this could happen?

Solution