my system drive crashed! now, how can i disable it as if i..

What i would like to do is remove this old drive all together... the program
is it was the c: drive, and xp was installed on the d: partition. is it
possible to change the system to recognize the "D" drive as the system drive
instead of c so i can remove it and still have a functional computer?

Neil

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

If they are two physical drives then yes. You need to remove the "C" drive
and set the "D" drive as master and connect it to the end of the ribbon
cable the "C" drive was connected to.
Then carry out a repair install:

hope that helps
good luck
Neil
"fingerlickin" <fingerlickin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> What i would like to do is remove this old drive all together... the
> program
> is it was the c: drive, and xp was installed on the d: partition. is it
> possible to change the system to recognize the "D" drive as the system
> drive
> instead of c so i can remove it and still have a functional computer?

He can't "repair" an install that never existed on drive D:

To the O/P. You will have to perform a clean install on your old drive D: -
after you have changed the jumpers to make the drive either a master drive
or a single drive. There is no operating system present on drive D: to
repair.

--
Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Quote from: George Ankner

"neil" <neilp_67@hot_mail.com (remove_s)> wrote in message
> If they are two physical drives then yes. You need to remove the "C" drive
> and set the "D" drive as master and connect it to the end of the ribbon
> cable the "C" drive was connected to.
> Then carry out a repair install:
>
> hope that helps
> good luck
> Neil
> "fingerlickin" <fingerlickin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> What i would like to do is remove this old drive all together... the
>> program
>> is it was the c: drive, and xp was installed on the d: partition. is it
>> possible to change the system to recognize the "D" drive as the system
>> drive
>> instead of c so i can remove it and still have a functional computer?

Neil

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

He uses the terms "C drive" & "D partition" and then "D drive" if there were
two physical drives and windows was installed in the "D drive", then making
the second drive the master would mean the system was on that drive and I
believed you could then repair that system.
Please correct me if I am wrong.

Neil
"Richard Urban [MVP]" <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> He can't "repair" an install that never existed on drive D:
>
> To the O/P. You will have to perform a clean install on your old drive
> D: - after you have changed the jumpers to make the drive either a master
> drive or a single drive. There is no operating system present on drive D:
> to repair.
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Richard Urban
> Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> Quote from: George Ankner
>
> "neil" <neilp_67@hot_mail.com (remove_s)> wrote in message
>> If they are two physical drives then yes. You need to remove the "C"
>> drive and set the "D" drive as master and connect it to the end of the
>> ribbon cable the "C" drive was connected to.
>> Then carry out a repair install:
>> http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
>>
>> hope that helps
>> good luck
>> Neil
>> "fingerlickin" <fingerlickin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> What i would like to do is remove this old drive all together... the
>>> program
>>> is it was the c: drive, and xp was installed on the d: partition. is it
>>> possible to change the system to recognize the "D" drive as the system
>>> drive
>>> instead of c so i can remove it and still have a functional computer?

yes, i am sorry i installed on d: so windows does exsist there. the c: drive
failed last night and can no longer be trusted to boot from/save to. i
removed the drive from the machine but, now i get the ntldr mmissing error im
sure you are familiar with. im not sure if i can use the repair function or
the other method described in the link you left. is it possible that windows
will rebuild the ntldr file?

"neil" wrote:

> He uses the terms "C drive" & "D partition" and then "D drive" if there were
> two physical drives and windows was installed in the "D drive", then making
> the second drive the master would mean the system was on that drive and I
> believed you could then repair that system.
> Please correct me if I am wrong.
>
> Neil
> "Richard Urban [MVP]" <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > He can't "repair" an install that never existed on drive D:
> >
> > To the O/P. You will have to perform a clean install on your old drive
> > D: - after you have changed the jumpers to make the drive either a master
> > drive or a single drive. There is no operating system present on drive D:
> > to repair.
> >
> > --
> > Regards,
> >
> > Richard Urban
> > Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
> >
> > Quote from: George Ankner
> > "If you knew as much as you thought you know,
> > You would realize that you don't know what you thought you knew!"
> >
> > "neil" <neilp_67@hot_mail.com (remove_s)> wrote in message
> >> If they are two physical drives then yes. You need to remove the "C"
> >> drive and set the "D" drive as master and connect it to the end of the
> >> ribbon cable the "C" drive was connected to.
> >> Then carry out a repair install:
> >> http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
> >>
> >> hope that helps
> >> good luck
> >> Neil
> >> "fingerlickin" <fingerlickin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Neil

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I think the repair install will work if you only have the one drive fitted
and setup as a master. When you boot from the CD and set-up finds your
windows folder then it should give you the option to "repair" that system.
The way you have it before the boot drive was "C" and the system drive was
"D".

I guess myself & Richard had a difference of opinion as to what you were
describing.

> yes, i am sorry i installed on d: so windows does exsist there. the c:
> drive
> failed last night and can no longer be trusted to boot from/save to. i
> removed the drive from the machine but, now i get the ntldr mmissing error
> im
> sure you are familiar with. im not sure if i can use the repair function
> or
> the other method described in the link you left. is it possible that
> windows
> will rebuild the ntldr file?
>
> "neil" wrote:
>
>> He uses the terms "C drive" & "D partition" and then "D drive" if there
>> were
>> two physical drives and windows was installed in the "D drive", then
>> making
>> the second drive the master would mean the system was on that drive and I
>> believed you could then repair that system.
>> Please correct me if I am wrong.
>>
>> Neil
>> "Richard Urban [MVP]" <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote in
>> message
>> > He can't "repair" an install that never existed on drive D:
>> >
>> > To the O/P. You will have to perform a clean install on your old drive
>> > D: - after you have changed the jumpers to make the drive either a
>> > master
>> > drive or a single drive. There is no operating system present on drive
>> > D:
>> > to repair.
>> >
>> > --
>> > Regards,
>> >
>> > Richard Urban
>> > Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
>> >
>> > Quote from: George Ankner
>> > "If you knew as much as you thought you know,
>> > You would realize that you don't know what you thought you knew!"
>> >
>> > "neil" <neilp_67@hot_mail.com (remove_s)> wrote in message

yes i see ... i am sorry i was not clear when writting that post. i am
creating a new windows disk now with sp2 and will try running the repair when
it is completed as i cannot boot to the "c" or junk drive now. thank you both
for the time and effort i really appreciate it.

"neil" wrote:

> I think the repair install will work if you only have the one drive fitted
> and setup as a master. When you boot from the CD and set-up finds your
> windows folder then it should give you the option to "repair" that system.
> The way you have it before the boot drive was "C" and the system drive was
> "D".
>
> I guess myself & Richard had a difference of opinion as to what you were
> describing.
>
> Neil
>
> "fingerlickin" <fingerlickin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > yes, i am sorry i installed on d: so windows does exsist there. the c:
> > drive
> > failed last night and can no longer be trusted to boot from/save to. i
> > removed the drive from the machine but, now i get the ntldr mmissing error
> > im
> > sure you are familiar with. im not sure if i can use the repair function
> > or
> > the other method described in the link you left. is it possible that
> > windows
> > will rebuild the ntldr file?
> >
> > "neil" wrote:
> >
> >> He uses the terms "C drive" & "D partition" and then "D drive" if there
> >> were
> >> two physical drives and windows was installed in the "D drive", then
> >> making
> >> the second drive the master would mean the system was on that drive and I
> >> believed you could then repair that system.
> >> Please correct me if I am wrong.
> >>
> >> Neil
> >> "Richard Urban [MVP]" <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote in
> >> message

heh and still i forget to be more specific....
i have 2 drives a wd and a maxtor. the maxtor was the c drive and the wd was
the d drive .... when i installed windows i installed to d: but, windows
still made c the boot drive or something im not sure what it is called. the c
drive or the maxtor crashed and needs to be removed .... all my
files/programs are on the d: drive or wd drive. i am hoping that the repair
will let me rebuilt with the d: as c: or something to that effect.