My ups doesn't turn on in time.

May 24, 2020
So my cyberpower 425w ups doesn't turn on in time when there's a power outage, my pc turns off and after a few seconds the ups kicks in and my pc tries to turn on again. This happened twice this day while I was in apex legends lobby. It worked when my pc was idling and I cut off power to the ups. My question is if it could be that the ups doesn't have enough time to kick in when my pc is under load or if it just doesn't have enough juice. I have an rtx 2060 and a 600 watt psu

May 24, 2020
So my cyberpower 425w ups doesn't turn on in time when there's a power outage, my pc turns off and after a few seconds the ups kicks in and my pc tries to turn on again. This happened twice this day while I was in apex legends lobby. It worked when my pc was idling and I cut off power to the ups. My question is if it could be that the ups doesn't have enough time to kick in when my pc is under load or if it just doesn't have enough juice. I have an rtx 2060 and a 600 watt psu

May 24, 2020
CyberPower UT850EG-Fr
Psu is chieftec gdp 550c bought it brand new last summer
CPU is Ryzen 5 3600
Coolermaster masterliquid 240 something something
6 fans other than that it's just a plain computer. Does an aio pull much wattage? Didn't think about that. The thing is the ups can power the pc while idle, but I'm starting to think I might be overloading it while gaming.​

May 24, 2020
Damn... And I threw out the box it came in too... Guess that's 60€ flushed down the drain.
What ups wattage do you recommend?

Last edited:
Your UPS is too light - you'd need one with twice the wattage, almost, considering the power budget your rig has, to which you have to add the screen. Now, it could also be that your PSU is lacking a bit - at full load, a weak PSU would drain its capacitors before the UPS has time to pick up the slack.

May 24, 2020
Your UPS is too light - you'd need one with twice the wattage, almost, considering the power budget your rig has, to which you have to add the screen. Now, it could also be that your PSU is lacking a bit - at full load, a weak PSU would drain its capacitors before the UPS has time to pick up the slack.

I only have the pc plugged to the ups. Why would I need an 800 watt ups if the PSU max is 550 watts. Now considering the fact that in the distant future I'd like to snag an rtx 3060 maybe even 3070, I'd also have to buy a new 650w PSU. Which means that I'd need at least a 650 watt ups, right? I bought the 425 watt ups thinking that it was going to be enough for my rig, because on other forums I've read that PSUs don't really max out the wattage. Which I misunderstood I guess.

I only have the pc plugged to the ups. Why would I need an 800 watt ups if the PSU max is 550 watts. Now considering the fact that in the distant future I'd like to snag an rtx 3060 maybe even 3070, I'd also have to buy a new 650w PSU. Which means that I'd need at least a 650 watt ups, right? I bought the 425 watt ups thinking that it was going to be enough for my rig, because on other forums I've read that PSUs don't really max out the wattage. Which I misunderstood I guess.
When not under load, you would be right. Under load, it's too much for your UPS. Yes, you would need around 550W at the very least, but consider that UPS of that type use lead batteries that degrade over time, after 2-3 years it won't be able to handle its rated load. The price difference is not that big, get a 900W - it gives you much better safety, and on top of that it allows you to handle longer power outages.
My rig has a 550W PSU, and I plugged a NAS, the main screen and my DSL box to an UPS - rated 900 W. More than enough to handle small outages, and when saving and enabling low power mode I can have a few dozen minutes of browsing to get infos from the power company. With the PC off and the NAS driving the UPS, I get several hours of data safety.
In fact, the last time I had problems was because the batteries had gotten too old and needed replacing. But this happens to all UPS.