NAS with SSH capability

Axoliien

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2010
So, I've been thinking about getting a simple NAS solution for home where I can keep my encrypted files, pictures, etc for access across my LAN. I am trying to get something where I can have an SSH connection so that I can tunnel my communications from wherever I am if need be. I would like to be able to make my HTTP requests to the server from outside the LAN via SSH so my communications can't be viewed over public or mediated networks. Any good chance a delivered solution can do this, or will it have to be a custom build with a full OS and everything?

Solution
To access you NAS from beyond your firewall will require you to open the appropropiate ports for SSH access. Does your router/firewall support? If so, you will be good to ge with just about any solution. Putting your NAS in a DMZ will also help secure your network.

Here is the lowest cost NAS that Newegg has that supports SSH (looks likely a good system actually):
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822108028

You can spend MUCH more if you desire, as well.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
To access you NAS from beyond your firewall will require you to open the appropropiate ports for SSH access. Does your router/firewall support? If so, you will be good to ge with just about any solution. Putting your NAS in a DMZ will also help secure your network.

Here is the lowest cost NAS that Newegg has that supports SSH (looks likely a good system actually):
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822108028

You can spend MUCH more if you desire, as well.

Solution

Axoliien

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2010
One more question then, can these be configured to act like a proxy, securing my internet browsing as well? I figure if a NAS can accept HTTP requests and serve HTTP requests, plus has the SSH capability, that this should be possible somehow? Same reason, so I'm not browsing my gmail or anything like that across some unsecure network if I need immediate access.