Question Need help buying laptop! (ASUS ROG Zephyrus G14 GA402RJ-L4007W)

just.a.pillo

Reputable
Mar 28, 2020
Hello and thank you for taking your time to see my question!
Im going to uni to study cs and Im thinking about this fella:
The link is in romanian, but its the ASUS ROG Zephyrus G14 GA402RJ-L4007W.
Even though I've done my own research I have some questions:

1. Just how good are the overall specs?
  2. Especially how does the video card hold up in the newer triple A games? And how long until it wont? (first time buying only AMD)
  3. 8gb of ram is soldered and 8gb is removable, if, in the future, i want to change the removable stick for, lets say, a 16gb one, will it still be dual channel?
  4. How good are the termals on this one?
  5. Will it boil the CPU or will it be somewhat managable?
  6. Would this laptop work for a Linux-Windows dualboot?
  7. In the end, is it worth the price tag (1370.5€) ? If not, what AMD configuration would you recommend? (preferably something light with a 14" display for carrying)

Last edited:
  1. Just how good are the overall specs?
It's very good. 6700s/6800hs combo will play most games at ultra 1080p.
  1. Especially how does the video card hold up in the newer triple A games? And how long until it wont? (first time buying only AMD)
A couple of years. I suspect vram will be the limiting factor.
  1. 8gb of ram is soldered and 8gb is removable, if, in the future, i want to change the removable stick for, lets say, a 16gb one, will it still be dual channel?
Yes it will be dual channel. Mismatch ram could lead to performance issues.
  1. How good are the termals on this one?
Also good, gpu will be somewhere in 80c in full load as the tdp is kind of conversation for the cooling solution.
  1. Will it boil the CPU or will it be somewhat managable?
No it should be fine. Unless you are running it at 100% for prolong periods of time, the cpu cooling is adequate.
  1. Would this laptop work for a Linux-Windows dualboot?
I don't see why not. Run your favorite distro and have fun.
  1. In the end, is it worth the price tag (1370.5€) ? If not, what AMD configuration would you recommend? (preferably something light with a 14" display for carrying)
I live in the US and don't understand your market very well. I believe this is the only 6700s based laptop anyways. I would watch for rtx 3070 mobile based competitors as that's generally faster.