Need help getting full speeds from my wireless network

bdiddytampa

Honorable
Dec 2, 2012
I have a 30 Mbps internet connection I'm paying for, the computer that is actually connected physically to the router is getting the speeds payed for, but my computer in the next room isn't getting even close to 30 anymore. I've done many speedtests getting a max of 13 Mbps, but my upload is right where it should be. When we first hooked everything up it was kickin butt up to 3.5 MBps, and to my knowledge nothing has changed. The router supplied by my ISP is an Arris DG860A modem/router, and my adapter for my computer is a Belkin USB N600 DB F9L1101. I've tried reloading the driver package, tried adjusting a few of the settings but lack the knowledge to mess with it too deeply. Any help with settings and config to get the best out of this regularly would be greatly appreciated.

Running Windows 7 Home 64bit
i5 2500K @ 4.3
16 GB 2133 Gskill Ripjaws
OCZ Vertex 4 60GB SSD system drive
Seagate Barricuda 1TB for Games and Applications
Seagate Barricuda 3TB for multimedia
Hyper Evo 212
LG Bluray
MSI Twin Frozer 2 GTX560 Ti 1GB
OCZ 600W PSU

If anymore info or current adapter settings are needed just let me know, but it is all on default right now.

Solution
You are best off if you want antenna is a USB with antenna. The PCIE cards the antenna are behind the case and extending antenna with microwave cable either eats all the signal gain or is not affordable. Try the cheap option first. A long USB extension cable on your current wireless stick. Maybe you can put it someplace on the wall/table etc that works better,

Interference is pretty much the standard change the channel.

Try inSSIDer software first and see if you see signal from your neighbors. Not a easy way to see things like baby monitors or non ip based wireless cameras so you just have to experiment with the channels. Last option I would replace or add another router and see if the 5g band works better. Your current card...
Be nice if they actually had anything useful in their manual. They assume people will just turn it on and use it on the default.

To get optimum speed you need to go into the router and disable B/G support and only run N. You also want to set it to run wide channels and narrow gaurd bands if it calls it those things. Lastly make sure you set it to run WPA2 with AES. You should not have to change things on the PC it will do what the router is set to.

If your speed does not improve you likely have a interference issue or a signal strength problem.

bdiddytampa

Honorable
Dec 2, 2012
Manual? what manual? lol

Thanks for the reply, I set it to N only, it is in WPA2-PSK w/ AES encryption, channel bandwidth is set to 20/40 MHz, guard interval is 400 ms which is the smaller of the 2 settings it gives me. Those last 2 seem the closest to the 2 you mention. Signal strength is good though. Still getting 10 -13 Mbps after applying new settings to the router. If it is interference would a pcie card with antennas work any better? or is a USB stick ok for this kind of application. It was working great for the first 2 weeks we had this installed and now it just isn't.... hmmm.

You are best off if you want antenna is a USB with antenna. The PCIE cards the antenna are behind the case and extending antenna with microwave cable either eats all the signal gain or is not affordable. Try the cheap option first. A long USB extension cable on your current wireless stick. Maybe you can put it someplace on the wall/table etc that works better,

Interference is pretty much the standard change the channel.

Try inSSIDer software first and see if you see signal from your neighbors. Not a easy way to see things like baby monitors or non ip based wireless cameras so you just have to experiment with the channels. Last option I would replace or add another router and see if the 5g band works better. Your current card supports 5g.

Solution

bdiddytampa

Honorable
Dec 2, 2012

Cool, thanks for the help, is much appreciated