[SOLVED] Need help installing new SSD!

May 23, 2020
(Disclaimer - I know the bare minimal about PCs)
So, I've basically purchased a 500GB Crucial SSD card which I have successfully installed into my PC, my PC does pick up that it is installed, however I'm struggling to understand how to make the SSD the boot drive. I understand how to enter the BIOS mode on the start up screen using DEL and reorganising the boot sequence there, however when I set my SSD first, it provided an error. I tried using EaseUS and successfully cloned my whole hard drive to my SSD before trying the BIOS step mentioned.
I'm now back to square one after cleaning my SSD.
I have looked into some of the tutorials present on the forum for installing an SSD but thought I'd push this thread out there seen as though I'm unsure if they still work the same way if I keep the old HDD in the system (which I'm doing).
Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Solution
OK, that drive should have no problem.

For the cloning process, the critical step usually missed is what happens at the end.

You must power OFF, disconnect the old drive, and allow the system to try to boot up from only the new drive.
Assuming the system still boots from the old drive with NO SSD connected, redo it.

Thusly:
-----------------------------
Specific steps for a successful clone operation:
Verify the actual used space on the current drive is significantly below the size of the new SSD
Download and install Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration, if a Samsung SSD)
Power off
Disconnect ALL drives except the current C and the new SSD
Power up
Run the...
May 23, 2020
What specific Crucial drive?
What motherboard?

Cloning....there are a couple of steps that are often missed. We'll get into that later.
Thanks for the reply! The SSD I purchased was titled exactly Crucial MX500 CT500MX500SSD1(Z) 500 GB (3D NAND, SATA, 2.5 Inch, Internal SSD).
Whilst my motherboard is an MSI A320M Pro-E.

USAFRet

Titan

For the cloning process, the critical step usually missed is what happens at the end.

You must power OFF, disconnect the old drive, and allow the system to try to boot up from only the new drive.
Assuming the system still boots from the old drive with NO SSD connected, redo it.

Thusly:
Verify the actual used space on the current drive is significantly below the size of the new SSD
Download and install Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration, if a Samsung SSD)
Power off
Power up
Run the Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration)
Select ALL the partitions on the existing C drive
Click the 'Clone' button
Wait until it is done
When it finishes, power off
Disconnect ALL drives except for the new SSD
This is to allow the system to try to boot from ONLY the SSD

Swap the SATA cables around so that the new drive is connected to the same SATA port as the old drive
Power up, and verify the BIOS boot order
If good, continue the power up

It should boot from the new drive, just like the old drive.
Maybe reboot a time or two, just to make sure.

If it works, and it should, all is good.

Later, reconnect the old drive and wipe all partitions on it.
This will probably require the commandline diskpart function, and the clean command.

Ask questions if anything is unclear.

Solution
May 23, 2020

Thusly:
Power off
Power up
Click the 'Clone' button
Wait until it is done

Swap the SATA cables around so that the new drive is connected to the same SATA port as the old drive

This will probably require the commandline diskpart function, and the clean command.

Ahh I see, okay, those instructions seem much clearer than any tutorial / guide I've come across. I'll make sure to give this a try in the next hour and I'll get back to you, thanks again.

May 23, 2020

Thusly:
Power off
Power up
Click the 'Clone' button
Wait until it is done

Just to clarify, where you state to clarify the BIOS boot order, does this refer to where you press DEL on the start-up screen and the devices are in order? If so does the SSD need to be first? Or another device.

May 23, 2020
Yes, the SSD (Or Windows Boot Manager) needs to be first.
Thanks, powered up after replacing the cables, the HDD is still unplugged and it successfully booted up! When you state to later reconnect the hard drive how long would you say till I reconnect it? Or does it not matter as much.

USAFRet

Titan
Thanks, powered up after replacing the cables, the HDD is still unplugged and it successfully booted up! When you state to later reconnect the hard drive how long would you say till I reconnect it? Or does it not matter as much.
Later = When you are 100% sure the system works just fine with the new drive.

Waiting a day or two of normal operations wouldn't be too long.