Build Advice Need help on which CPU / Motherboard configuration for youtube streaming / video production.

May 3, 2019
Hey Everyone,
I'm new here as a registered user but I've been lurking for a long time and love this place! I want a new computer. I currently use an old i5-3570 dell with 8 GB of ram and Windows 10 and I'm just sick of it. Plus, whenever I watch most videos I here crackling sounds. I tried replacing the speaker and audio cables and nothing. Sorry - I went off topic there.

Anyway, I want to start a youtube channel because I've been doing internet marketing since I got on the net back in 1994. So, I think 25 years of experience qualifies me as some what of an expert. ;-)

So, I want to share my knowledge with people and help them out. To do that I want to go balls to the wall full time on this and do 2 (or more if possible) videos a day 7 days a week and upload them to youtube. Also, from time to time I will do live streams a well.

To, do this I need a kick ass computer that I will build myself (I've done it before). I was thinking:

CPU: An i-7 CPU (since I want better then i-5) but I see i-9's all over the place as well. So, maybe that would be better?

RAM: I would like 32GB of ram

Boot Drive: an SSD boot drive

Storage: A couple large fast hard drives like 7200RPM (or faster) and around 5TB or larger.

Video Card: A good video card that will allow me to stream and edit videos for 1080p - I do not plan on doing anything 4K so do I really need the latest most expensive gaming video card? I was wondering if maybe a GTX 1060 or 1070 would be more then ample with say 6GB or 8GB. I woulld think these choices are about $300 to $400 instead of some of the newer video cards are $1,000 to $1,500.

Displays: Two 27" monitors would be good - I was looking at maybe the gaminh monitors only because of the high refresh rates and the low response times.

Noise: I also wanted to add that since I need to record video I don't want fan noise in my videos.

Note: I want to record in 1080p (not 4k because the file sizes would be massive) as well. I do not think I will be gaming on the PC since I have an Xbox One X with a 4K 75" TV in my living room for that.

I would not say money is a huge concern for this PC so it does not have to be the cheapest possible. Granted, I'm not bill gates either. ;-)

So, let me know your thoughts on what configuration you think would be best and I'll be reading all of them.

Peace,

Robert

P.S. I looked into getting a Mac with an i-9, 32GB ram, two monitors and similar to the above configuration and it was well over $4,000 which seems to me to be a bit much. I think a PC I build myself would be a lot less and a maybe even a better setup as well.

Last edited:
May 3, 2019
Thanks Bro - do you think this configuration will be pretty quiet? I just added that to the original post since I forgot that some configurations (more so gaming configs) seem to be really loud.

Peace,

Robert