Specs:

Motherboard: ASUSTeK SATA 6Gb/s DDR4
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 6-core processor
GPU: AMD Radeon RX 580
RAM: Single 8gb XPG ADATA DDR4 stick
Storage: 1 TB Hard Drive
PSU: Thermaltake 500W 80+
Cooling: Deep Cool brand fan mounted on the mobo that came with the PC

I have a 1080p monitor and typically like to play games like Fallout 4, Warframe, Dark Souls 3 and Star Wars Battlefront 2 on medium to high settings.

My current PSU is the Thermaltake 500W 80+ PSU it came with. I know I need a new one but I'm not sure how to best determine what's right for my build. I've looked at the Cooler Master PSU calculator but can't quite figure out how to fill in some of the information. I was wondering if anyone had any advice on how much wattage I need or be willing to help me figure out how to fill out this PSU calculator, as I'm unsure about some of the specific components it asks for information on. I'm not entirely sure if my current PSU is modular or not as I've not found much solid information on it, so I'm not sure what would be compatible with my system. I'm not sure how I would even tell, but I've been trying to read up on PSU's to figure out what I can. Again, any advice or recommendations are much appreciated.

___

As the title says I purchased a CyberPower PC about 10 months ago (with the help of many kind people on this forum! thank you all again) and I think it's time I got a new PSU for it. The specific PC can be found at this link:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/cyberp...-1tb-hard-drive-black/5833100.p?skuId=5833100

Two times in the last few months the PC has shut off while I was in the middle of playing a game (the first time was Fortnite and the second time was Fallout 4), and I believe it to be due to the PSU not being up to par. When it has done this it takes a few minutes before it can be booted up again. This most previous time it happened, which was yesterday, it wasn't running particularly loud and the exterior didn't feel very warm. If my understanding is correct, I think the computer shut itself off as a safety measure to make sure other components wouldn't get damaged once the PSU got overloaded. I understand the PSU is usually the most overlooked part in pre-builts, which is why I'd like to look at getting mine replaced if that really is the issue.

I have done some reading on PSU's and plan to do more to get a better understanding of the situation. I've not replaced any parts in this PC yet, so this would be my first time doing that. I know it's probably easier than I think, but it still seems daunting nonetheless. I also first wanted to make sure that my conclusion of the PSU being the issue was correct, before I go out trying to fix a problem that might not exist. The only other 'problem' I can think of with my PC is the single 8gb stick of RAM, as I know it's not ideal to have only one stick. If the PSU is the problem, I'm open to any recommendations for a good quality PSU. Any help is very appreciated!

EDIT #1: Well I called CyberPowerPC support and it sounds like either the PSU is the culprit or the RAM. I hadn't considered the RAM, but I should've mentioned that I have only one 8gb stick. Is there a chance that this could be the real problem? I'm not entirely sure, but tech support said that if I didn't have enough RAM that that would also lead to my PC crashing. I'm wondering if I need to look into that avenue instead. Is there any way I can tell for sure which is the issue? Or could they both be causing problems? Tech support said I had a standard Thermaltake 500W 80+ PSU (but I don't know how much of that is actually producing 12V). Any advice is appreciated.

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2018
Reactions: Banned by Net
Apr 9, 2018
Well I called CyberPowerPC support and it sounds like either the PSU is the culprit or the RAM. I hadn't considered the RAM, but I should've mentioned that I have only one 8gb stick. Is there a chance that this could be the real problem? I'm not entirely sure, but tech support said that if I didn't have enough RAM that that would also lead to my PC crashing. I'm wondering if I need to look into that avenue instead. Is there any way I can tell for sure which is the issue? Or could they both be causing problems? Tech support said I had a standard Thermaltake 500W 80+ PSU (but I don't know how much of that is actually producing 12V). Any advice is appreciated.

Apr 9, 2018
One of the reasons for buying a prebuilt PC is that you are not responsible for any issues while under warranty.

It should still be under warranty and Cyberpower should be responsible for fixing any issues.

I'm not too sure warranty would cover upgrading my RAM. The PSU maybe, but I'm not 100% sure now that that's the culprit, though I still suspect it could be. I'll keep this in mind though, I hadn't thought about the warranty to be honest.

Apr 9, 2018
EDIT: Updated with more information

I'm looking at getting a new PSU for my system which can be found here:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/cyberp...-1tb-hard-drive-black/5833100.p?skuId=5833100

Specs:

Motherboard: ASUSTeK SATA 6Gb/s DDR4
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 6-core processor
GPU: AMD Radeon RX 580
RAM: Single 8gb XPG ADATA DDR4 stick
Storage: 1 TB Hard Drive
PSU: Thermaltake 500W 80+
Cooling: Deep Cool brand fan mounted on the mobo that came with the PC

I have a 1080p monitor and typically like to play games like Fallout 4, Warframe, Dark Souls 3 and Star Wars Battlefront 2 on medium to high settings.

My current PSU is the Thermaltake 500W 80+ PSU it came with. I know I need a new one but I'm not sure how to best determine what's right for my build. I've looked at the Cooler Master PSU calculator but can't quite figure out how to fill in some of the information. I was wondering if anyone had any advice on how much wattage I need or be willing to help me figure out how to fill out this PSU calculator, as I'm unsure about some of the specific components it asks for information on. I'm not entirely sure if my current PSU is modular or not as I've not found much solid information on it, so I'm not sure what would be compatible with my system. I'm not sure how I would even tell, but I've been trying to read up on PSU's to figure out what I can. Again, any advice or recommendations are much appreciated.

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2018
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Power Supply: SeaSonic - EVO Edition 620 W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $39.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-03-03 10:05 EST-0500

Thank you for the recommendation, although I read that having too much wattage can be a bad thing by lowering system efficiency, effectively running up the power bill and causing other problems? Could 620 watts be overkill for my system or is it better to go over? Appreciate all the help you've given.

TRENDING THREADS