[SOLVED] Need help picking a SSD replacement

Mar 10, 2020
I have a SamSung Notebook 7 Spin.
Model: NP740U3M-K01US

It's starting to act slow. I want to replace the HDD with an SSD. The only problem is I lack experience in doing this sort of stuff and not sure which SSDs are compatible. The laptop also has a unused M.2 SATA3 port. If anyone could help me picking out a replacement SSD and a M.2 SDD. I would gladly appreciate it. Also, what are some good sources online to buy upgrades in the U.S besides the typical Amazon or Best Buy?

Solution
And 2.5 inch SSD up to 9mm z height will work fine -- that laptop according to specs comes with a Western Digital Scorpio Blue WD3200BEVT in different sizes 80GB to 1TB. All are standard 2.5 inch laptop 5400 rpm drives.

I usually use Amazon, Newegg, or a reputable place that has the part cheapest according to PCPartpicker at the time.

I've not replaced a drive in that particular model, but there are how to videos on YouTube. I generally stick with Samsung SSDs (or Crucial MX for cheaper builds).

RealBeast

Titan
And 2.5 inch SSD up to 9mm z height will work fine -- that laptop according to specs comes with a Western Digital Scorpio Blue WD3200BEVT in different sizes 80GB to 1TB. All are standard 2.5 inch laptop 5400 rpm drives.

I usually use Amazon, Newegg, or a reputable place that has the part cheapest according to PCPartpicker at the time.

I've not replaced a drive in that particular model, but there are how to videos on YouTube. I generally stick with Samsung SSDs (or Crucial MX for cheaper builds).

Solution

RealBeast

Titan
I would get an M.2 sata drive, and then use your current drive for additional storage. The Crucial MX500 would be my pick.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/fgZFf7/crucial-mx500-500gb-m2-2280-solid-state-drive-ct500mx500ssd4
I was going to suggest a SATA m.2 but found some people on Samsung support that said it did not work for them and one had checked with support apparently: "In terms of booting from the SSD having spoken to Samsung support - you can't do it."

Not sure why it wouldn't but I would be wary and at least check with Samsung to see if a bios update ever fixed that shortcoming.