Question Need help troubleshooting :/

Aug 7, 2024
i7 9700k/RTX 2070 super
Computer was working a day ago. Went to boot up today and saw a white screen. Tried rebooting and all fans and lights would turn on but no display and usb not functioning. I first tried to reseat GPU and CMOS battery and got the same results. I then tried to boot without GPU and it was able to boot properly. I then put the GPU back in and it was back to no display and usb not functioning. I took the GPU back out and was able to boot it up properly again. Looking around i noticed my system only showing 8gb a ram when i have two 8 GB sticks. I decided to try to reseat the ram, but now even without the GPU the PC is stuck in a boot loop. Ive tried one stick of ram in different slots and its still stuck in the same bootloop. So now i am not sure if I have multiple issues. I plan to test GPU and RAM in a friends pc and checking PSU with a multimeter. I understand it could also be the motherboard or CPU but does anyone have any suggestions before I have to replace piece by piece and hope i get lucky.

Thanks!

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Full system specs, including PSU make and model (or part number) is? Also, how old the PSU is, and was the PSU bought new or used/refurbished?

checking PSU with a multimeter
Pointless to do that. Since there's no load on PSU.

does anyone have any suggestions before I have to replace piece by piece and hope i get lucky.
Given that you somehow got it to boot with iGPU, while PCI-E x16 and one RAM slot was gone/dead, it points towards MoBo issue. And rearranging RAM probably was enough to kill all RAM slots.

Without knowing exactly what PSU you have, impossible to tell if PSU most likely fried MoBo or did MoBo die on it's own.

Could be CPU issue as well, but usually when PSU acts up, MoBo is 1st to go, followed by GPU. CPU is most durable component inside the PC but not invulnerable either.
I doubt the RAM is the issue, since it doesn't explain why PCI-E x16 slot didn't work all of the sudden. Also, you were able to boot with iGPU, while one of the sticks did show up.

Aug 7, 2024
Full system specs, including PSU make and model (or part number) is? Also, how old the PSU is, and was the PSU bought new or used/refurbished?

Pointless to do that. Since there's no load on PSU.

Given that you somehow got it to boot with iGPU, while PCI-E x16 and one RAM slot was gone/dead, it points towards MoBo issue. And rearranging RAM probably was enough to kill all RAM slots.

Without knowing exactly what PSU you have, impossible to tell if PSU most likely fried MoBo or did MoBo die on it's own.

Could be CPU issue as well, but usually when PSU acts up, MoBo is 1st to go, followed by GPU. CPU is most durable component inside the PC but not invulnerable either.
I doubt the RAM is the issue, since it doesn't explain why PCI-E x16 slot didn't work all of the sudden. Also, you were able to boot with iGPU, while one of the sticks did show up.
Thanks for the well detailed response. I appreciate your input and could explain how it seemed to get worse as i was messing around with the ram. My power supply is an ATX-PR800W. All components are about 5 years old, I bought everything together pre-built.