[SOLVED] Need help upgrading my old PC.

Jul 20, 2020
Hey there guys,

This is my pc config atm:

cheap MB from msi + i5 4570
Gpu - gtx 970 extreme gaming oc + 16 ddr3 hyperX
Power S. - Seasonic m12II - 620 w Bronze
Deepcool Gamer Storm Lucifer K2 + decent case with some fans.
and ofc 24 Dell full hd 144 ghz.
2 ssd - samsung 250 gb and 480 kingston cheap one.
1 hdd - 2T - seagate i think.

They served me well those years and I decided to change them. I need some guidance on what I can keep from here what should I pick in terms of cpu+gpu combo.I had a look at ryzen 7 3800x and gtx 2070 super, but I'm not sure if this will be the best combo to keep me going like 5 years, maybe? I also wanna know if I should change the power supply since its a bit old I think, still going strong atm, never had problems with this build. Also I wanna do some video editing on the future build and also I'm playing mostly MMORPG which are cpu hungry, but i think that ryzen 7 will do good no? or should I go for ryzen 9 or maybe i7 10700? The budget should be around those 2070 super and ryzen 7 + decent mobo i think plus some extra cash for case+Power supp. Also I need to know if a 450 mobo series is ok for that cpu.

Thanks for reading and sorry for the long post. I'm open to any discussion and I'm around.

Edit - I can't wait till the end of 2020 for the new nvidia and amd new gpu, because I have some extra money on a shopping card and I need to use them really soon or they're gone :D

Solution
You think the 5700xt pulse is better that the 3fan vers ASUS AMD Radeon RX 5600 XT ROG Strix Gaming O6G? I mean that extra vent could help in cooling no? My 970 extreme also have 3 vents and it was really good all those years.

To answer other people question, I want either that i7 10700 or ryzen 7 3800x since the store im aiming for only have those and the money i have need to be spent and also I'm not planning to buy anything again in the near future, lets say 5 years from now on.

If i go for that i7 what mobo should i pick?

To be clear again, my budget is 1000-1200 euros, and the store that i can buy is the one i linked above. I dont wanna downgrade to i5 or ryzen 5 since the money on that card need to be spent. Also i'll...

kenzimarcel

Commendable
Feb 13, 2018
3700x vs 3800x is not super huge differenc,e a 3700x will be fine with a light overclock or even just letting precision boost do its thing. your psu is also fine, good brand, i dont think it will fail any time soon if it hasnt already. just pick the best value gpu you can for your money, 2070S is definitely a good choice, but if you take a 3700x instead of 3800x, maybe you could stretch to a 2080. a b550 motherboard is definitely reccomended as it will support zen3 and possibly beyond. for ram, just take the best value per gb at like 3200mhz , anything 3000+ and you are getting most of the benefit.

Jul 20, 2020
3700x vs 3800x is not super huge differenc,e a 3700x will be fine with a light overclock or even just letting precision boost do its thing. your psu is also fine, good brand, i dont think it will fail any time soon if it hasnt already. just pick the best value gpu you can for your money, 2070S is definitely a good choice, but if you take a 3700x instead of 3800x, maybe you could stretch to a 2080. a b550 motherboard is definitely reccomended as it will support zen3 and possibly beyond. for ram, just take the best value per gb at like 3200mhz , anything 3000+ and you are getting most of the benefit.

Ty for your reply and your time, the problem is that the store I'm allowed to buy with that card doesn't have a b550 mobo,i mean there's one but is not cheap - ASUS TUF GAMING X570-PLUS and the other option is ASUS TUF B450-PRO. It would be a problem if i go for the b450 one? You think on the long term the 3700x will still do the job? Keep in mind im playing mmorpg and a bit of video editing.

kenzimarcel

Commendable
Feb 13, 2018
3700x is going to be fine for a while, when it comes to video editing, there are things that can do it 10x faster already around. its just a matter of how much time is an acceptable loss versus the price. rendering is not going to get magically harder any time soon, your render times wont increase over time. for gaming, a 3700x is going to be solid for a while. it takes a big game with a huge gpu to start pushing an 8c/16t cpu already, really even a skylake 4c cpu can still game. with your 144hz monitor maybe you want to consider intel for the 5-10% gaming improvement in some games. otherwise a 3700x is plenty for a long while to come. im here with an underclocked r5 1600 and my 5700xt is still hitting 100% usage before my cpu does. if you dont plan to upgrade for a while now, a b450 will do fine. just save on whatever you can, like 3700x over 3800x, dont upgrade psu etc and then spend the max you can on the beefiest gpu you can

Jul 20, 2020
I can also go for the intel cpu+mobo if u have any suggestions, also how the 5700 xt going? You think the 2070 super will perform better than 5700xt? I've seen good fps results on youtube with the 5700xt but i heard that the drivers are bad and you can have problems with it.

Also what do you think about the mobo i posted above?

kenzimarcel

Commendable
Feb 13, 2018
the 5700xt is great, a welcome upgrade over my hd 6750. iirc the 2070s does outperform, and nvidia does have a lot of nice-to-have features. i would reccomended the 2070s if its within budget. also, that mobo is a solid choice

Jul 20, 2020
the 5700xt is great, a welcome upgrade over my hd 6750. iirc the 2070s does outperform, and nvidia does have a lot of nice-to-have features. i would reccomended the 2070s if its within budget. also, that mobo is a solid choice

Both of the mobo are or only the 570 one? Also i have this option to pair up this ASUS PRIME Z490-P with i7 10700, and is in the same budget as 3800x with the 450 mobo.

jwcrellin

Reputable
I personally would look at the AMD 3800XT. It's got some really good boost clocks. Grab a B550 board from MSI and some Vengence LPX 3600 Mhz memory. Re use your power supply and GTX 970 for now. Save up for those new GPU's launching in the fall.

jwcrellin

Reputable
he cant wait, and the only b550 boards are overpriced
Notice: not politically correct!
Use the shopping card to buy, idk, anything. Then immediately return for store credit and that will have a new expiration date. Yes, it's an extra intermediate step in order to get what you really want, but hey if it works. Its like buying illegal substances when all you have is food stamps, not cash. You just need to find a dealer that will barter for personal grocery shopper services.

kenzimarcel

Commendable
Feb 13, 2018
Notice: not politically correct!
Use the shopping card to buy, idk, anything. Then immediately return for store credit and that will have a new expiration date. Yes, it's an extra intermediate step in order to get what you really want, but hey if it works. Its like buying illegal substances when all you have is food stamps, not cash. You just need to find a dealer that will barter for personal grocery shopper services.
yeah i was thinking he could have bought a high value item or something and sold it soon for a good price in cash, but it would take a while and you might not even get any good buyers espec with corona causing a lot of unemployment

I personally would look at the AMD 3800XT. It's got some really good boost clocks. Grab a B550 board from MSI and some Vengence LPX 3600 Mhz memory. Re use your power supply and GTX 970 for now. Save up for those new GPU's launching in the fall.

The xt chips are an awful buy, that's $150 premium for a 300mhz boost clock increase over the 3700x.

The 3700x is absolutely where its at price to performance.

Regarding the 5700xt, its a good card, the driver issues have been sorted on the last 2 revisions.

The 2070 super generally beats it but only by 10% max, and in a few titles the amd card wins fairly big.

In the UK the 5700xt is some £150 less than a 2070 super which for me was a Complete no brainer.

Reactions: RodroX
Jul 20, 2020
Gm everyone and thanks for the feedback,

So the thing is that i can't wait to get other stuff later on this year or next year, i need to buy those things soon enough, to explain it, there's a card that works only on a few stores on my country, and i dont have many options from what to chose from, the store has 2070 and 5700xt and also 2080 but is way to overpriced there, also on the store there's a 570 mobo for am4 but again really overpriced. I can get the 5700xt, i dont mind losing some fps but im afraid ill have drivers problems with it, also i dont play AAA games that much, i play mmorpg like guild wars 2 , tera, etc and some warzone from time to time, dota, cs go.

To help you guys out lets set a budget around 1000 euros or that amount. Keep in mind that my country prices are a bit bigger, in that store the ASUS NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 DUAL EVO goes around 500 euros.

Also i have this on the store - ASUS AMD Radeon RX 5600 XT ROG Strix Gaming O6G - price 422 euros.

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2020
So i can pick those up:

ASUS AMD Radeon RX 5600 XT ROG Strix Gaming O6G
ASUS PRIME Z490-P MOBO
Intel Core i7-10700
KINGSTON HyperX Predator RGB, 2x8GB DDR4, 3200Mhz

Or i can change the gpu with 2070 or 2070 maybe but i dont know if the extra money will worth, all im thinking is the drivers, my old 970 gtx still run smoothly. Also i can change the cpu+mobo combo with the amd ryzen 7 3800x + ASUS TUF B450-PRO, the only cheap option i have in that store. The store is here- https://altex.ro/componente-calculator/cpl/ - ignore the language.

Jul 20, 2020
Would you not be better buying from pc-garage??

Stuff seems to be a little cheaper there

Well that store is really nice and i know they have better prices but sadly the card doesn't work there. It's one of those vouchers cards. If you can help make something decent from that site i mentioned above, that would be really nice, also as the people said before i can still keep some things from my old pc, like ssd, power s., case and maybe more, i think i need to change the cooler for the new cpu mobo?

Last edited:
Well that store is really nice and i know they have better prices but sadly the card doesn't work there. It's one of those vouchers cards. If you can help make something decent from that site i mentioned above, that would be really nice, also as the people said before i can still keep some things from my old pc, like ssd, power s., case and maybe more, i think i need to change the cooler for the new cpu mobo?

Could you not possibly buy everything from the store you mentioned but just the motherboard from pc-garage seperately ??

I do think ryzen is a better buy personally just the board prices/availability is too limited/expensive on the store you're shopping at.

I've gone from a gtx 970 to a 5700xt in the last few weeks , I thought the 970 was still fairly decent but the performance difference between the 2 cards once you upgrade is nothing short of astonishing.

About the same total as your intel components. You could drop to the 3600 or 3600x and still have plenty of cpu horsepower.

Screenshot-20200721-133302-com-android-chrome.jpg

Jul 20, 2020
I think i can buy the mobo from pc garage if we can find a better one at a decent price. Also I can buy the 2070 from pc garage if that would be a better upgrade in the future. But it would be better if i can spend more money on the card shop- Altex, since i need to spend that money anyway.

I think i can buy the mobo from pc garage if we can find a better one at a decent price. Also I can buy the 2070 from pc garage if that would be a better upgrade in the future. But it would be better if i can spend more money on the card shop- Altex, since i need to spend that money anyway.

Performance wise there's nothing really between the i7 10700 and the ryzen 3800x.

If you wish to go intel due to buying from that store it's going to suit you fine in all honesty.

The GPU though??

At nearly the same price as that 5600xt you're listing go with the sapphire 5700xt pulse.

Its two thirds the price of a 2070 non super and it just beats it hands down in every scenario you could think of.

Don't waste your money on either R7 3800X or 3800XT, just go with the 3700X, if you wana add some extra cash get a better cooler tha the one that comes on the box (if you feel like it once you tested it). Heck even the Ryzen 5 3600/X will be a huge update over your current CPU, and you can use the money towards a better GPU or PSU.

If I was to buy AMD then I would either go with B550 or X570. Sadly stock are a mess everywhere in the world. The thing with those mobos is that you can then make a simple BIOS update later on, and go with a Ryzen 4xxx for sure. B450 are supposed to get updates for Ryzen 4xxx, but when and what cards is for the time been unknown.

As for going Intel I would pick a budget, yet decent Z490 mobo (there are lots of reviews out there like the ones from hardware unboxed to understand whats good and whats garbage on the motherboard departament) and paired with a Core i5 10600K + 2x8Gb of DDR4 3600MHz.

No need to overspend on the core i7.

Have fun buying and building!

jwcrellin

Reputable
OP seems to have a preference for intel chips. They still have good standing in the industry and the company is easily 3x the size of AMD. Core i7 cpu has long been a champion in the gaming space, it just performs well. It is 2-3% worse in overall value but it's also 2-3% faster at creating frames in games, so..... Anyway,
Just make sure you get a CPU that boosts close to 5 GHz.

Jul 20, 2020
Performance wise there's nothing really between the i7 10700 and the ryzen 3800x.

If you wish to go intel due to buying from that store it's going to suit you fine in all honesty.

The GPU though??

At nearly the same price as that 5600xt you're listing go with the sapphire 5700xt pulse.

Its two thirds the price of a 2070 non super and it just beats it hands down in every scenario you could think of.

You think the 5700xt pulse is better that the 3fan vers ASUS AMD Radeon RX 5600 XT ROG Strix Gaming O6G? I mean that extra vent could help in cooling no? My 970 extreme also have 3 vents and it was really good all those years.

To answer other people question, I want either that i7 10700 or ryzen 7 3800x since the store im aiming for only have those and the money i have need to be spent and also I'm not planning to buy anything again in the near future, lets say 5 years from now on.

If i go for that i7 what mobo should i pick?

To be clear again, my budget is 1000-1200 euros, and the store that i can buy is the one i linked above. I dont wanna downgrade to i5 or ryzen 5 since the money on that card need to be spent. Also i'll mention again, i'm doing video editing and other stuff on the pc and also the games i'm playing are really cpu hungry than gpu hungry, i wanted to go for the nvidia side because i know amd ones have and had problems with drivers. I dont wanna return the gpu after some weeks of use, that's all.