Question Need help with diagnosing HP Pavilion Laptop Model 17-g119dx

logitech30006

Honorable
Feb 22, 2015
Hey guys, this is my wifes laptop. She got it new in 2016, and it died early 2018. Finally want to try and get it fixed

So the issue is it wont come on. Theres just a single click sound when pressing the power button down, or even holding it. We replaced the battery and it did not fix the issue.
Only other thing I could think of is a failed hard drive, but wouldn't it at-least turn on but not be able to boot? I'm kind of at a lost here since I've mainly only worked with desktops growing up.
Any help appreciated

Have you tried removing the battery and using only mains power?

The original battery will have gone flat by now and the new one may not have any charge. BIOS can;t display if the CMOS battery inside the case has gone flat as well. Open up the case and look for a button battery.

logitech30006

Honorable
Feb 22, 2015
Have you tried removing the battery and using only mains power?

The original battery will have gone flat by now and the new one may not have any charge. BIOS can;t display if the CMOS battery inside the case has gone flat as well. Open up the case and look for a button battery.
So I replaced the button battery and still has the same little click sound, no power.

I should have suggested in my first post that you press the tiny micro switch on the motherboard in case the plastic power button on top isn't making that switch work.

Sorry if you put the case together but I have known that to be the problem. Also, see if any lights flash when you press that micro switch with a pencil tip.

logitech30006

Honorable
Feb 22, 2015
I should have suggested in my first post that you press the tiny micro switch on the motherboard in case the plastic power button on top isn't making that switch work.

Sorry if you put the case together but I have known that to be the problem. Also, see if any lights flash when you press that micro switch with a pencil tip.
Alright, going to try this next. Thanks for the reply. Will report back!

logitech30006

Honorable
Feb 22, 2015

No avail, I'm starting to think the mobo fried