[SOLVED] Need Help With Setting up a Switch

Jan 20, 2022
Hey everyone! Long time lurker here. I recently came across something that stumped me. I recently moved into a new house and its the first house I have with ethernet ports in every room. Well I went into the panel and setup a switch and I cant get any of the ethernet ports to work. I have confirmed the switch works by plugging my router into it and then back to my pc. So that's not the issue. I also checked the ethernet ports in all the rooms, they all have a sticker of a laptop next to the port and they say cat5e/6. What should I do next to try and figure this out? Don't really want to go to geek squad. It'd make me a poor excuse of a student whos about to start my next class in networking lol.

Below are pictures of my setup. Im using the xfinity xFi modem/router (Yes DHCP is enabled so thats not a problem), TP Link 8 port switch (all the gray cords attached to it go to the other ports in the house), i unplugged the ethernet cable from the router to the switch as it was leaving a mess in my room. Dont worry about the blue cables. Those are for phone jacks and stuff I want to figure this out before i move the router to the closet.

Any help appreciated!

View: https://imgur.com/bwh2huw

View: https://imgur.com/GPpbncL

View: https://imgur.com/vpznCvB

Last edited:
Solution
Do you get any lights at all when you plug stuff into the wall outlets.

You need to pull the plates and check the wiring. Could be someone didn't really know what they were doing.

The wires need to follow either 568a or 568b color pattern. Both ends need to be the same. Although it is hard to see it looks like the rj45 plugs are 568b, the orange pair is in position 1,2. The photos are not clear enough to see if they actually followed the rest of the pattern correctly.

The wall keystones are a little more tricky because it is not always obvious what wire goes to what actual pin. Still they are color coded and so you would just swap the orange and green pair. Many jacks have markings to show how to wire 568b and 568a...
Do you get any lights at all when you plug stuff into the wall outlets.

You need to pull the plates and check the wiring. Could be someone didn't really know what they were doing.

The wires need to follow either 568a or 568b color pattern. Both ends need to be the same. Although it is hard to see it looks like the rj45 plugs are 568b, the orange pair is in position 1,2. The photos are not clear enough to see if they actually followed the rest of the pattern correctly.

The wall keystones are a little more tricky because it is not always obvious what wire goes to what actual pin. Still they are color coded and so you would just swap the orange and green pair. Many jacks have markings to show how to wire 568b and 568a. The first step would be to try to see if they are currently wired for 568b which is what I think your rj45 plugs are.

Since ethernet should at least light up the ports even with one end 568a and the other 568b I suspect they are not even wired to either standard.

It could also be that the wires are not actually connected to the wall jacks because no one needed them before.

Solution

Ralston18

Titan
Three issues:

I see a flat Ethernet cable in the first image - Post #1.

And it appears that switch is being "hung" by the the Ethernet cables - second image. The switch needs to be directly supported with no weight on the Ethernet cables.

Lastly, third image, the coax wall jack connection seems to be canted and possibly not fully or squarely connected.

All three of issues are problematic.

TRENDING THREADS