Question Need help with WIndows XP reinstall

NF_JS

Commendable
Jun 1, 2017
I'm having a problem with reinstalling Windows XP Professional 32-Bit, I need to make a bootable usb but my only viable attempt ended on a black screen with some kind of a corrupt image. I'd be very grateful if someone can provide information on where to download a Windows XP 32-Bit iso and link some kind of software that turns that into a bootable usb, also if someone knows what I should set my primary boot option as when I'll be booting from that usb please tell (I have USB-ZIP, USB-FDD, USB-HDD, USB-FLOPPY), unless it's something different. Thanks

Windows XP does not install consistently from a USB. It works much better from a cd. Further, the problem with your booting options is that none of them apply. A USB-FDD is a USB formatted as a floppy disc, and USB-Floppy/ USB-HDD are external drives connected via a USB plug. IOW, with these older system bios, there is not a just boot by USB drive choice.

NF_JS

Commendable
Jun 1, 2017
Windows XP does not install consistently from a USB. It works much better from a cd. Further, the problem with your booting options is that none of them apply. A USB-FDD is a USB formatted as a floppy disc, and USB-Floppy/ USB-HDD are external drives connected via a USB plug. IOW, with these older system bios, there is not a just boot by USB drive choice.
I'll try a CD in that case, any idea where I can find and download the ISO and what burning software to use?

NF_JS

Commendable
Jun 1, 2017
Any luck with the XP ISO?
I bought a rewritable CD and bought a 3 euro copy of XP on ebay, they sent me an ISO download link and I burned it to that CD. The system that was installed there previously wouldn't allow me to boot from anything other than the original HDD so I had to unplug it, then boot from the CD and hot-plug the HDD right after the PC booted from CD, I didn't know if it's gonna work when I was doing it as I came up with it on the go and it took me a couple of tries but it allowed me to format the drive in the installer and then install my new copy without any issues. I'm just wondering if it would have also worked like that with a USB drive, but I can't be bothered to try anymore. Thanks for the advice.

Well you got it to work, that's what is important. In the future, if your PC won't boot from a specific drive, even if it is placed first in the boot order, most have a boot once option, normally by pressing f12 after the flash screen. This will give you a list of boot drives that overrides what drive the computer wants to boot from..

Reactions: NF_JS

NF_JS

Commendable
Jun 1, 2017
Well you got it to work, that's what is important. In the future, if your PC won't boot from a specific drive, even if it is placed first in the boot order, most have a boot once option, normally by pressing f12 after the flash screen. This will give you a list of boot drives that overrides what drive the computer wants to boot from..
I tried that as well but the same thing was happening