[SOLVED] Need some storage plans for a storage server

rakinar2

Commendable
Oct 26, 2021
My four friends (including myself) have decided to build a storage server for our friend-circles. Now, we want to discuss with Tom's Hardware Forum Members (Including moderators and all others!) about this topic. So guys if you have any idea or suggestion please post it here and that will be so much helpful for us.

The questions:

1. Which will be best for the server: SSD or HDD?
2. If the answer of (1) is SSD, then which SSD: SATA, SATA2, SATA3, NVMe (or something else?)
3. How many SSD/HDDs should bought?
4. Any idea about the budget?
5. What is the ideal storage capacity of a storage server?

Server Specs:
Supermicro X12SPA-TF 64L Motherboard,
Intel Xeon W-3345 CPU,
64GB DDR4 ECC RAM

Solution
No, we've selected those parts and after choosing the storage, we'll buy all the parts as needed.

OS would be a linux mmmmaybeee ubuntu server or centos server...

It will be used to store large amount of data and share it on the local area network.
I have an earlier version of this:
https://www.amazon.com/QNAP-TS-451D2-4G-Hardware-transcoding-Celeron/dp/B08JR1T4C3

Currently ~70TB available space.

Including the drive space, about 1/2 the cost of just that CPU you've chosen.

rakinar2

Commendable
Oct 26, 2021
  1. HDD, and maybe an SSD for the operating system drive
  2. ...
  3. Depends
  4. Depends
  5. Depends
  6. What operating system?
  7. What will you use it for?
  8. Do you already have all the listed parts? That is wildly overpowered for a "storage server"

No, we've selected those parts and after choosing the storage, we'll buy all the parts as needed.

It will be used to store large amount of data and share it on the local area network.

USAFRet

Titan

I have an earlier version of this:
https://www.amazon.com/QNAP-TS-451D2-4G-Hardware-transcoding-Celeron/dp/B08JR1T4C3

Currently ~70TB available space.

Including the drive space, about 1/2 the cost of just that CPU you've chosen.

Solution