[SOLVED] Need to buy SSD, please suggest.

rcgrph7702

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2015
Hello,
I am looking to buy a 1TB Gen3 SSD for my PC. Probably Nvme or anything that you guys suggest. I will mostly be using it for downloading data on it(online) and uploading data from it(online).
I will probably be downloading and uploading a minimum of 1TB every month.
So I need suggestions to get a good consistent SSD that will perform well under this load and last as long as possible.
Suggestions for all price ranges are good, so I can have a range of options to choose from.
Any kind of help is appreciated. Thank you.

Last edited:
Solution
The Western Digital Blue drives currently have some of the highest MTBF (Manufactured Time Before Failure) ratings Vs. Price ratio, in South Africa at least the 500gb's are actually so cheap it doesn't make sense not to pack stacks of them in.

The 1Tb still has a slight premium on price over the 500gb, so I'd recommend nabbing 2 or even 3 500gb and trying for a RAID setup just to be "that guy", (semi joke) personally I love using separate drives (old days I was a partition maniac) for O/S, personal data, application install, game install, movies....

The speed and access time differences will truly be negligible though for your purposes, the bottlenecks will be elsewhere in your system. So if reliability is key, RAID is maybe not...
Hello,
I am looking to buy a 1TB Gen3 SSD for my PC. Probably Nvme or anything that you guys suggest. I will mostly be using it for downloading data on it(online) and uploading data from it(online).
I will probably be downloading and uploading a minimum of 1TB every month.
So I need suggestions to get a good consistent SSD that will perform well under this load and last as long as possible.
Suggestions for all price ranges are good, so I can have a range of options to choose from.
Any kind of help is appreciated. Thank you.
That much writing is good for any SSD for at least 10 years.

JackrumMadthing

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2014
The Western Digital Blue drives currently have some of the highest MTBF (Manufactured Time Before Failure) ratings Vs. Price ratio, in South Africa at least the 500gb's are actually so cheap it doesn't make sense not to pack stacks of them in.

The 1Tb still has a slight premium on price over the 500gb, so I'd recommend nabbing 2 or even 3 500gb and trying for a RAID setup just to be "that guy", (semi joke) personally I love using separate drives (old days I was a partition maniac) for O/S, personal data, application install, game install, movies....

The speed and access time differences will truly be negligible though for your purposes, the bottlenecks will be elsewhere in your system. So if reliability is key, RAID is maybe not a terrible idea but is totally pointless with SSD speeds for performance. So you should look at :

• Highest Capacity : Price
  • Longest MTBF : Storage (WD Blue= 1.75mil hrs, WD Green = 1mil)
  • Balance the above to price
  • One of the stalwarts, for me > Western Digital, but Sandisk, Samsung and...yeah nah stick with WD.
  • Look at how you'll be fixing the drive inside your machine, baring in mind a bit of airflow is never a bad thing, this may help you decide on certain models as the manufacturers all have wonderfully consistant ideas on a standard form factor, don't they? No. They don't.
  • Do you have SATA3 ports open to use? Most motherboard will have 8 ports, but only 2 rated at SATA3, check this and possibly consider a PCIe board addition too for max perf.
To close I'd tell you my drives are daily usage, heavy gaming and a fair amount of image compression and transfer, and the SMART report on my 3000+ DAY usage, that is days measured in hours of usage....reports Endurance Remaing @100%....sooooo.....

Reactions: rcgrph7702
Solution

rcgrph7702

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2015

The speed and access time differences will truly be negligible though for your purposes, the bottlenecks will be elsewhere in your system. So if reliability is key, RAID is maybe not a terrible idea but is totally pointless with SSD speeds for performance. So you should look at :

• Highest Capacity : Price
  • Longest MTBF : Storage (WD Blue= 1.75mil hrs, WD Green = 1mil)
  • Balance the above to price
  • One of the stalwarts, for me > Western Digital, but Sandisk, Samsung and...yeah nah stick with WD.
  • Look at how you'll be fixing the drive inside your machine, baring in mind a bit of airflow is never a bad thing, this may help you decide on certain models as the manufacturers all have wonderfully consistant ideas on a standard form factor, don't they? No. They don't.
To close I'd tell you my drives are daily usage, heavy gaming and a fair amount of image compression and transfer, and the SMART report on my 3000+ DAY usage, that is days measured in hours of usage....reports Endurance Remaing @100%....sooooo.....
Hi, thank you for your detailed explanation.
This helps me a lot.
If I am to go for WD Blue, How does it compare with Seagate Exos 4TB 7E8 (ST4000NM002A)?
Is it good for my use case?
Also if I was to go for an SSD for my use case, which one would it be?
And which is a better option for my use case, SSD or HDD?

Last edited:
Hi, thank you for your detailed explanation.
This helps me a lot.
If I am to go for WD Blue, How does it compare with Seagate Exos 4TB 7E8 (ST4000NM002A)?
Is it good for my use case?
Also if I was to go for an SSD for my use case, which one would it be?
And which is a better option for my use case, SSD or HDD?
You are all over the place, started about 1TB SATA vs NVME drives for temporary data hold and ended up considering 4TB HDD.
First you have to make decision on capacity you need/want, price difference is enormous. So to resume, for such usage any HDD or SSD will do and should last for long time.