Aug 26, 2021
Hi,

I've recently set up an unmanaged Netgear 24port (GS324) Gigabit Ethernet Switch from a Virgin Superhub (UK). Wireless speeds are clocking at 250mbps which is roughly in line with my 350mbps deal, but the speed from the switch won't seem to go above 75/80mbps (regardless of location).

House is Cat6 cabled throughout so I'm struggling to understand why that might be?

Also, one heavy download seemed to cripple the entire network reducing speeds on any other wired device to basically 0 and diverting all bandwidth to the heavy download (albeit that was pretty quick). That's obviously not how I'm looking for the switch to work...

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited:
Solution
It likely means the cable between the switch and the router is only running at 100mbps. Depends on what exact switch you have. Many have lights so you can tell the speed the ports run at. Verify that everything is running at gigbit speeds.

When you are using in wall cables it makes it even harder to test. It could be as simple as 1 loose wire in a wall jack. I would first verify that the wires look ok and follow one of the correct wire color standards. You might need a cable tester but your first goal is to identify which connections are not running at gigabit speeds.
It likely means the cable between the switch and the router is only running at 100mbps. Depends on what exact switch you have. Many have lights so you can tell the speed the ports run at. Verify that everything is running at gigbit speeds.

When you are using in wall cables it makes it even harder to test. It could be as simple as 1 loose wire in a wall jack. I would first verify that the wires look ok and follow one of the correct wire color standards. You might need a cable tester but your first goal is to identify which connections are not running at gigabit speeds.

Reactions: Krotow
Solution

kanewolf

Titan
Hi,

I've recently set up an unmanaged Netgear 24port (GS324) Gigabit Ethernet Switch from a Virgin Superhub (UK). Wireless speeds are clocking at 250mbps which is roughly in line with my 350mbps deal, but the speed from the switch won't seem to go above 75/80mbps (regardless of location).

House is Cat6 cabled throughout so I'm struggling to understand why that might be?

Also, one heavy download seemed to cripple the entire network reducing speeds on any other wired device to basically 0 and diverting all bandwidth to the heavy download (albeit that was pretty quick). That's obviously not how I'm looking for the switch to work...

Any help appreciated.

Thanks
The color of the LEDs on each port of the switch will show which ports are gigabit and which are 100Mbit.
For a simple ethernet tester (as recommended by @bill001g ) -- I suggest this -- https://www.amazon.com/Klein-VDV526-052-Scout-Junior-Tester/dp/B004CI9NRM
It could be that just the link to the SuperHub is 100Mibt. You need to double check that the Superhub has gigabit ports.

Reactions: cavalo123
Aug 26, 2021
Thanks Both - I've actually just swapped out the connection from the superhub to the ethernet switch for another Cat 6 which has improved things dramatically.

Probably should have tried that first of all......

Thanks!

Reactions: SamirD