Question Network/Browser error, and browser memory problems since 1/7/24 ?

Jan 12, 2024
Hey everyone,

I have a Dell Precision M6800 Laptop with 32gb of RAM, an i7-4900MQ CPU, and running Windows 10 64-bit.

I am REALLY losing my mind with this. On the night of 1/7/24, I noticed with Chrome that when a webpage would stay open for a minute (or less), it would suddenly die and say "Aw, snap! Error code: Out of memory" (even though I have plenty of memory, and I only had a single gmail page open).

I restarted my machine the next day, and it became way worse afterward. Many times pages wouldn't fully load.I often get errors of "Secure Connection Failed" or "This site cannot be reached", but when I refresh it loads. I assumed it was a virus or malware, so I installed Malwarebytes premium and scanned my machine... and everything was good.

One other strange issue: my bookmark icons randomly show up as either RED or YELLOW squares (where the YouTube or ebay logos should be). It's something I noticed that began at the same time.

I have run through so many things to try to fix this. Cleaned up all my interned cache, history, temporary files. Uninstalled and reinstalled Chrome. Scanned my memory and hard drive for errors. Checked for updates. Deleted my Chrome Profile folder and then restored it with sync (in case there's some corrupt file in my chrome profile). Removed ALL my extensions. Increased my Virtual memory.

I noticed there was an Edge update the same day this began, along with an Edge Webview2 Runtime install as well. I used Wise Program Uninstaller and removed both from my machine to see if that helped. RIGHT AFTER I uninstalled them, I was able to play a 10 minute youtube video in Chrome for the first time. But after restarting my computer, all issues returned (even though Edge and Webview2 Runtime remained deleted). I also tried to check Dell's website to see if there are any driver updates I'm missing for my machine... and because of my internet issues, it was almost impossible to the site to function properly, much less download any drivers.

I also installed Firefox, which was very, very difficult to get the computer to download. It kept failing over and over, but somehow I was able to get it and install. Firefox will work, but my internet connection still runs very slow and clunky. Most of the time I have to refresh page 2 or 3 times to get them to load, in any browser. No memory errors in firefox though.

I have tried using a different network (my mobile hotspot on my cell phone), and problems still persisted. I have tried using both wifi and hardwired connection via ethernet, same thing. Apart from trying a fresh install of Windows -- which I'm hoping to avoid -- I'm not sure what else to do.

Please let me know if you need more information or screenshots. I cannot find another thread with these exact symptoms, so I wanted to be as thorough as possible to see if there is anyone that could help find a solution (hopefully one exists). Thank you all for helping.

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2024
how full is the ssd?
check cpu temp?
ran memory test?

- The primary SSD has 741gb free of 930gb. So about 20% full.
- The 4 cores mostly hover between 135 and 150 degrees F. The max for any of them was 169 degrees. And this was what I saw while trying to use Chrome and monitoring it as the webpage crashed. Without using the internet, it seems to stay between 110 and 140.
- Yes, I ran Windows Memory Diagnostic and it found no errors.