network speed

I just finished transferring a file from my Dell Latitude laptop (650MHz) to
my tower (2.9GHz). Both have 10/100 net cards, and the connection was by a
crossover cable, so there was no other hardware in the path. The file was
470Meg, and it took 9 minutes to transfer. That seems a little longer than I
would have expected, although perhaps I'm not being realistic. Any thoughts?
If it is slow, any suggestions on where to look for improvement?

m9876c at yahoo dot com

"Al Dente" <nobody@home.com> wrote in message

> I just finished transferring a file from my Dell Latitude laptop (650MHz)
> my tower (2.9GHz). Both have 10/100 net cards, and the connection was by a
> crossover cable, so there was no other hardware in the path. The file was
> 470Meg, and it took 9 minutes to transfer. That seems a little longer than
> would have expected, although perhaps I'm not being realistic. Any
> thoughts?
> If it is slow, any suggestions on where to look for improvement?
>
> m9876c at yahoo dot com

That speed sounds perfectly fine to me.

You're moving half a gig of data and I don't see a problem. (I also have a
650mhz Latitude).

YMMV, perhaps others will offer opinions.

Stew

Thanks! I tried using a different card in the laptop this morning, and was
able to transfer the same 470meg file in a little less than 3 minutes, so
perhaps there was a problem with the first card....

> Thanks! I tried using a different card in the laptop this morning, and was
> able to transfer the same 470meg file in a little less than 3 minutes, so
> perhaps there was a problem with the first card....

Well that is certainly relevant to your initial concern.

So...

I just copied a 546mb file from one machine to another on our home network.
55 seconds.

Both 10/100 network cards, desktops, router in the middle....

So what's the difference in your two NICs?

Stew