New Alienware Problem

SavNout

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2005
Well, I hope you got a few minutes to read my long winded post here. I need a little advice from everyone if I may. I recently ordered a Alienware Area 51 7500 with a Dual Core 3.2 EE has a Asus P5ND2-SLI nForce4 Motherboard I ordered it with one 7800 GTX card (I'm assuming it's gonna be a nVidia OEM card.). In the meantime I had gotten ahold of 2 BFG 7800 GTX OC cards for a great price. I was just gonna sell the orgional 7800 card that is installed in the computer on eBay.

Now I just read THG's test results and am feeling a little sick now. If I take this system full SLI with 2 video cards that are OverClocked I'm thinking I'm gonna fry something. I don't think Alienware will warranty the system if I put 2 OC cards in there. I got $4000 in this system. Please don't go telling me I should have went with the AMD...cause I already know that now. Maybe I should sell the OC cards and buy another card from alienware? God this is all getting rather expensive now. Anyway, thanks if you can help.

Pretty simple actually, run the 2 new cards as you want and do not sell the original card keep it in case something goes wrong, which I don't think will happen, but if it does you can replace the original card if you have to RMA the machine. Which would require doing a system restore to reset the machine the way it was when you got it.

<A HREF="http://forums.btvillarin.com/index.php?act=ST&f=41&t=2541&st=0#entry20385" target="_new">My Puter</A>

G

Whats the PSU in the AlienWare?
that would be the only limiting factor. even then since you got a sli mobo I hope they put a good "sli ready" PSU!

Asus P4P800DX, P4C 2.6ghz@3.25ghz, 2X512 OCZ PC4000 3-4-4-8, MSI 6800Ultra stock, 2X30gig Raid0

emogoch

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2005
Just call them up and ask them yourself. Alienware gets good praise from evaluators for their customer support, and they are moving to a whole do-it-yourself phase as well (replacable GPUs in laptops?). Give them a shout on what their policy is should you replace the GPU with two others.

I also wouldn't worry to much about the BFG's being overclocked. If you were doing it yourself, maybe, but their factory done, so they should run just fine in the system assuming you got enough power to give them.

SavNout

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2005
550W PSU is all that they come with, even running SLI. You know, when I talked to the sales rep. (kinda reminded me of Dell's sales rep....somewhere in India, couldn't understand a word I was saying)

I was asking him ?'s that he did'n't know the answer to. He wouldn't put me over to Tech Assistance until I get the puter tommorow.

I was asking him...'Is my SLI connector gonna be in the box even though I only got this computer with one card?' So I bought one off of eBay for $10 just to be sure.

I hope the Tech people are more helpful than the sales dept. Although I will say this, they did get it to me about 5 days early.

G

should be ok, no problem

Asus P4P800DX, P4C 2.6ghz@3.25ghz, 2X512 OCZ PC4000 3-4-4-8, MSI 6800Ultra stock, 2X30gig Raid0