Question New AMD build, problem with CPU?

charpour

Commendable
Sep 24, 2019
My first post here so hello to everyone!

After several years I decided to build a new PC (all AMD) and I finished it couple of days ago, however I've been having some problems (?) with the CPU. Hardware is the following:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900x
Mobo: Gigabyte aorus master x570
RAM: G.Skill trident Z (C14 64 GB RAM)
Cooler: NZXT Kraken x62
SSD: M.2. Aorus Gen 4.0 (PCIE 4.0)

The problem: After I initally finished Windows installation, I opened AMD master and the CPU temperature at idle was fluctuating between 33-35 C. After I installed all of the drivers along with CAM software for the Kraken, the fans and pump have a lot of ups and downs. For example, whenever I start downloading a game from Steam, throughout the download the pump and fans change rpm speeds very rapidly making a loud noise that comes and goes in a matter of seconds. CAM software configuration is set to silent.

For example, when downloading from steam the behavior is like this (CAM software reported metrics): Fan 800 rpm, temp 39 C --- 2s later --> 1200 rpm, temp 48 C --- 2s later --> 1600 rpm. temp 52 C --- 2s later --> 800 rpm, temp 39 C. Makes your head go crazy with those sudden noise level changes. On the other hand, Amd master reports lower tempratures compared to CAM.

After the download finishes, everything's back to normal. If I open some installation, fan RPMs goes high again for a couple of seconds and then back to normal. Is that rapid change of tempratures and fan/pump speed normal?

Another thing to note here is that due to luck of space in my case (Mastercase H500M) I've installed the fans above the radiator. That is, the fans pull hot air from the radiator out of the box on top, rather than pushing the air through the radiator. Could that be an issue?

I've spent so much money to build this PC and I kind of feel dissapointed with the end result. I'm even thinking of buying a noctua nh-d15 just to test the behavior with it.

PS. I haven't touched any of the clocks, everything's stock. I've only enabled XMP for the memory.

Thanks very much for any suggestions/help!

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
It looks normal to me. You may want to see if you're on the latest BIOS update for your motherboard. Also, have you made sure that the temps are constant at idle and only ramps up when taxed? Might also wan to post back with the version for your OS.

charpour

Commendable
Sep 24, 2019
It looks normal to me. You may want to see if you're on the latest BIOS update for your motherboard. Also, have you made sure that the temps are constant at idle and only ramps up when taxed? Might also wan to post back with the version for your OS.

Hi, thanks for your reply. I've updated the BIOS very recently (2 days ago). With regard to idle tempratures, it depends. Most if the time it's between 37 - 46 C (I guess windows spawns background tasks that cause temp to go up a little?).

Some people suggested that having the fans installed above the radiator pulling hot air (top mount installation) instead of below pushing air through the radiator could potentially be the issue?

Runnign windows 10. Thanks.