[SOLVED] New assembled Computer - fresh Win10 - restarts when installing discord or starting BFV and shortly after that

Sep 22, 2019
Hey guys,

I've tried so many things but now I've run out of ideas and I desperately hope you can help.

I bought new computer components and assembled them by myself. Installed Windows 10, the drivers for mainboard and graphics card. Most of the time everything works fine.

But when I start the setup of the app "discord" the system restarts. Okay maybe an issue with discord. But this restart happens too when I start Battlefield V. I can play Rocket League, Playerunknowns Battlegrounds, Heroes of the Storm - everything works fine. I can not find the correlation.

When searching the internet for a solution I came across other peoples similar issues with my graphics card Radeon RX 5700 XT. They experience random restarts too. So it would make sense that this is the cause of trouble. So I switched my radeon with my old Geforce graphics card. But when starting discord it still restarts (can not try BFV because Geforce too old..).

My setup:

Casing: be quiet! Pure Base 600
PSU: 600 Watt be quiet! Pure Power 11 Non-Modular 80+ Gold
Mainboard: MSI B450-A Pro MAX AMD B450 So.AM4 Dual Channel DDR4 ATX Retail
RAM: 16GB (2x 8192MB) Corsair Vengeance LPX schwarz DDR4-3600 DIMM CL18-19-19-39 Dual Kit
SSD:
2000GB Intel 660P M.2 2280 PCIe 3.0 x4 3D-NAND QLC (SSDPEKNW020T8X1)
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8x 3.60GHz So.AM4 TRAY
CPU cooler: Scythe Mugen 5 Rev.B Tower Kühler
Graphics Card: 8GB XFX RX 5700XT RAW II 8GB 3xDP/HDMI (Retail)

Some things that I've tried:

I looked at the temperature of CPU, GPU, Motherboard - fine
flashed/ updated BIOS to version 7B86vM2
installed graphics drive in multiple ways - with software adrenaline
played around with "Radeon Adrenaline" (disabled FreeSync, Antilag etc.)
fresh installation of Win10 Pro
deinstalled almost every software I installed

The point that drives me crazy is the first time I assembled everything and installed Windows 10 I could install and start discord. I am not sure but I guess after installing Origin and BFV it may not worked anymore. But why after freshly installing Windows 10 I can not replicate it anymore. I've run out of ideas...

Any help is appreciated!

Greetings,
DasEnormeLineal

Solution
I sent my motherboard and cpu back to the retailer and he sent it back to me, that everything works fine, so I guess it is a software issue. Changed the psu too without a differenct.

I just clean installed Windows 10 again. When I open the origin setup und wait for like five seconds my PC just restarts. Discord the same. Batlle.net, steam work totally fine.

Still no idea how to fix it. I've tried so many things and nothing works.
I promise you at this point it is not a software problem. Did you try doing a memtest? I would let a memtest run for at least 4 hours to see if it's having any issues. I would also look at the Windows event viewer for anything that happens around when the computer restarts. Try doing a clean install...
With windows 10 and these types of problems, I have learned that doing these things first is always a good idea to make sure there are no problems with the Windows install:

1. Open Start.

2. Search for Command Prompt, right-click the top result, and select the Run as administrator option.

3. Type the following command and press Enter, let run until its complete:
SFC /scannow

4. Type the following command and press Enter, let run until its complete:
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth

5. Type the following command and press Enter, let run until its complete:
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth

6. Type the following command and press Enter, let run until its complete:
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

7. If step 3 failed but steps 4-6 found corruption and fixed it repeat step 3 again.

Report back when this finishes (5-10 min)

Sep 22, 2019
With windows 10 and these types of problems, I have learned that doing these things first is always a good idea to make sure there are no problems with the Windows install:

1. Open Start.

2. Search for Command Prompt, right-click the top result, and select the Run as administrator option.

3. Type the following command and press Enter, let run until its complete:
SFC /scannow

4. Type the following command and press Enter, let run until its complete:
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth

5. Type the following command and press Enter, let run until its complete:
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth

6. Type the following command and press Enter, let run until its complete:
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

7. If step 3 failed but steps 4-6 found corruption and fixed it repeat step 3 again.

Report back when this finishes (5-10 min)

Done. No error messages. But my system restarted multiple times when trying to get to tomshardware.com lol
And it still crashes when starting Discord setup. May it has to do something with the ethernet connection? Discord is trying to download something. Well I can download other things without a problem but I dont know.

I have a raspberry Pihole installed on my router. I already disconnected it, change nothing. Just to give every information how my setup is.

Sep 22, 2019
To give a little update. I changed my ssd with a hdd with Windows 10 installed and the system crashes too. So I assume it isn't a software problem. I think it maybe the cpu, motherboard or PSU. Are there ways to test it without changing it?

To give a little update. I changed my ssd with a hdd with Windows 10 installed and the system crashes too. So I assume it isn't a software problem. I think it maybe the cpu, motherboard or PSU. Are there ways to test it without changing it?
It is difficult to test these parts without another system that is known to be good to put them in. Sorry for the late response. Keep this thread updated.

Sep 22, 2019
It is difficult to test these parts without another system that is known to be good to put them in. Sorry for the late response. Keep this thread updated.

I sent my motherboard and cpu back to the retailer and he sent it back to me, that everything works fine, so I guess it is a software issue. Changed the psu too without a differenct.

I just clean installed Windows 10 again. When I open the origin setup und wait for like five seconds my PC just restarts. Discord the same. Batlle.net, steam work totally fine.

I promise you at this point it is not a software problem. Did you try doing a memtest? I would let a memtest run for at least 4 hours to see if it's having any issues. I would also look at the Windows event viewer for anything that happens around when the computer restarts. Try doing a clean install of your graphics drivers with DDU in safe mode.

Solution

kaehligj

Prominent
Mar 15, 2018
I noticed you have a 600W PSU.
You are absolutely sure this has adequate umph?

Also check your pwr connections to the motherboard.
All connectors MUST be used: the main block the one or two 12V blocks, and any 12V block on the graphics card
look for any signs of a badass connector: blueing, browning or even blackening.