Xiartin

Reputable
Jan 20, 2016
Hope i have put this in the right section.

Right, so this is beginning to get the better of me. I built and put together a system a couple of weeks ago and ever since i've had crashing problems. The problems only happen when im in a game. I have a solid green screen come up, and within 3 seconds of that the computer automatically restarts, i dont get an option do try and tab out just instant restart. I get a Kernal Power Error id 41 in event viewer. It never BSOD, just solid green screen, audio goes, or either is spazzes out and replays the last second of game volume before restart.

Thing is i can game for 4/6 even 8 hours and it is fine, then the next day it will crash within 5 minutes, and sometimes couple hours in. It even did it on a start screen earlier.
I've been trying to narrow down the problem, and in doing so reinstalled windows about 4 times now, made sure all drivers are up to date multiple times, the bios is up to date, windows is up to date, everything is. The only part of my system i didnt update was PSU and after research of other people having similar errors and a new PSU fixing their problem i bought another, (gpu recommends min 700w, got 850 to be sure) i got a 850W Gold 80+ Seasonic, has not made any difference.

Thought it might be temp related due to not brilliant stock cpu cooler, bought a cooler master 212 that brough temps down a good 15deg, still hasnt made a difference. Saw a post online about only downloading the drivers from the amd site and not the msi motherboard site, hasnt made a difference.

I've heard of problems with drivers for the 5700xts but i'm not sure it is related to that, i even installed an earlier release, going back at least 6 months, it still did it.

I've used command promp to check the driver and it was fine, i've also download a programe to scan ssd to see if there were any bad sectors, there aren't.

It's is really starting to grate me as the last thing i want to be doing on mt newly build gaming pc is not being able to use it because of it crashing. The next step i'm going to take is replace the gpu with my old one, then if that fixes it i can assume is have a faulty gpu or something.

I've also ram memtest on my ram, came back 0 faults. Aswell as cpu, gpu tests and pc completed them no problem.

Has any one has the same problem, or similar problem with their PC?

My system specs are as follows,
CPU - Ryzen 5 3600
MotherBoard- msi b450 tomahawk max
GPU- PowerColor RX 5700xt Red devil
PSU - 850w Gold 80+ Seasonic
Spectrix D60 3600hz ram 16 GB (8x2)
1tb WD Blue SN550 Nvme SSD M.2 (using this as primary)
Im using white braided PSU extension cables (could this cause this?)

Last edited:
Solution
Just to update anyone who comes across this with the same kinda problems. It was the card. I swapped my old card in multiple times and problems always stopped when doing that. I played a solid week with my old card no problems, and 2hours into the new card it did it, I returned the card to Ebuyer a recieved a full refund.

so whether it was soft ware or hardware I don’t know, but for £400 I’d expect it to work, I’m gunna stick with My old card, rx 480 for now and buy a better gpu later in the year, maybe when they have fixed whatever problem I had or they come down in price.

Xiartin

Reputable
Jan 20, 2016
Sounds like a faulty GPU to me.
It's just done it again, but this time there was no green screen and it just had a black screen, in event viewer it was kernal 41 again but just after en error said that it restarted due to a BugCheck, ID 1001 "The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x00000116 (0xffffab81acc13050, 0xfffff801213509f0, 0x0000000000000000, 0x000000000000000d). A dump was saved in: C:\WINDOWS\MEMORY.DMP. Report Id: 3aac331f-52fd-436f-8ff4-cedfd6ba3def."

Should i try google this latest thing and see if i can get a fix for it?

daryldoessound

Reputable
Jul 9, 2018
I'm having the same issues as you with practically the same setup. I've swapped the GPU out with an older GPU that is confirmed to be working and got the same crashing. Also I put the 5700XT into another system and haven't had any crashes.

I'm leaning towards it being my motherboard or OS, what OS are you on?

Xiartin

Reputable
Jan 20, 2016
I'm having the same issues as you with practically the same setup. I've swapped the GPU out with an older GPU that is confirmed to be working and got the same crashing. Also I put the 5700XT into another system and haven't had any crashes.

I'm leaning towards it being my motherboard or OS, what OS are you on?
I’m on Windows 10 home, mine hasn’t done it the last few days so not sure... see if it does it later, I’ve reinstalled windows many times now and even bought a new windows key because I thought maybe the one I bought was a a dodger key or something. Yesterday in battlefield 5 though I had some weird visual effects, leafs on walls were stretching for a split second and some weird lines were appearing but it only did it for a few seconds and hasn’t done it since which made me think maybe gpu again...

What are OS are you on?

daryldoessound

Reputable
Jul 9, 2018
I’m on Windows 10 home, mine hasn’t done it the last few days so not sure... see if it does it later, I’ve reinstalled windows many times now and even bought a new windows key because I thought maybe the one I bought was a a dodger key or something. Yesterday in battlefield 5 though I had some weird visual effects, leafs on walls were stretching for a split second and some weird lines were appearing but it only did it for a few seconds and hasn’t done it since which made me think maybe gpu again...

What are OS are you on?

I'm on Windows 10 1909, I was thinking maybe something in windows was conflicting with something else but still have no idea. I get black horizontal lines that flash across the screen, increasing in frequency until eventually the green screen crash happens. Really frustrating , I've started stress testing individual components and if I find anything I'll be sure to drop back here to let you know.

Have you throw your old GPU in to see if there problems still occur?

Xiartin

Reputable
Jan 20, 2016
I'm on Windows 10 1909, I was thinking maybe something in windows was conflicting with something else but still have no idea. I get black horizontal lines that flash across the screen, increasing in frequency until eventually the green screen crash happens. Really frustrating , I've started stress testing individual components and if I find anything I'll be sure to drop back here to let you know.

The green screen crashes have for some reason come to a stop, though another new crash has risen. When playing games, it did this about half an hour ago. The game stutters, freezes, after a few seconds of hang time the screen goes blank and the pc restarts.

In event viewer a bit above the usual Kernal 41 error, there is the same error as before: The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x0000009f (0x0000000000000004, 0x000000000000012c, 0xffff9b86a292f040, 0xfffff8028106b8e0).

I then started windows in safe mode, used DDU to uninstall my gpu driver, i used the clean and restart button. It got stuck on the restart screen for about 10 minutes then came up with blue screen saying "DRIVER POWER STATE FAILURE" then normally started up like nothing was wrong.

it has done this before but came up witha different error, last time it said
"VIDEO TRD FAILURE".

No clue what is causing this. I can tell when its about to happen in game because it has like 1 second of being chopping and its like its trying to catch up with it self and then crashes.

You had any luck? I havent put my old gpu in yet no need to do that

Xiartin

Reputable
Jan 20, 2016
It's definatly GPU related, put in my old gpu RX480, had no problems for one week. Rang up where i bought it from, eBuyer for a direct replacment unit. Guy on the phone said apparently there is some known problem with windows update confilcting so i should turn off windows update for two weeks, DDU and reinstall 5700xt.

Decided to give it one more go, gaming last night was fine. Then today it green screen and crashed again so ringing up ebuyer tomorrow to sort it out, not sure whether to get replacement and hope it was a hardware problem or assume it's software and switch to nvidia. Only thing is the nvida equiv is the 2070super and is more than £150 more expensive... not sure what to do.

Xiartin

Reputable
Jan 20, 2016

hope my most recent post helps you out in some way.

Xiartin

Reputable
Jan 20, 2016
Just to update anyone who comes across this with the same kinda problems. It was the card. I swapped my old card in multiple times and problems always stopped when doing that. I played a solid week with my old card no problems, and 2hours into the new card it did it, I returned the card to Ebuyer a recieved a full refund.

so whether it was soft ware or hardware I don’t know, but for £400 I’d expect it to work, I’m gunna stick with My old card, rx 480 for now and buy a better gpu later in the year, maybe when they have fixed whatever problem I had or they come down in price.

Reactions: Flayed
Solution