[SOLVED] [New Build] - M.2 not detected in either slots (Samsung 980 Pro in ASUS X570-E)

euphoria4949

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2012
I am completely new to NVME and M.2. drives so please explain like I'm 5yo. I mean I know what they are but never used one until today.

I'm just breadboarding my new parts before installing them, everything seemed fine and detected except... no drive detected in the M.2 slots.
Do I have to enable something, I remember reading a couple years ago about Enabling NVME in the BIOS? Or maybe update the BIOS? The drive was released last year and the BIOS is 6 versions old but it's from March this year.

Any tips, help, recommendations would be very grateful, thank you.

Solution
Should just show up in the BIOS.

Did you fully seat the drive? A lot of people make the mistake of gently laying it in, but you must push it into the slot until it clicks and you can no longer see the pins on the connector.

Also, there are potential conflicts between SATA ports and M.2 slots, generally it works the other way with the M.2 drives taking precedence. Also the slim possibility of consuming all available PCIe lanes, but most boards have at least one M.2 slot connected directly to the CPU. (Speaking of that, some APUs have less PCIe lanes than normal going to the board with the internal lanes being used by the integrated graphics, double check that too)

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador

Did you fully seat the drive? A lot of people make the mistake of gently laying it in, but you must push it into the slot until it clicks and you can no longer see the pins on the connector.

Also, there are potential conflicts between SATA ports and M.2 slots, generally it works the other way with the M.2 drives taking precedence. Also the slim possibility of consuming all available PCIe lanes, but most boards have at least one M.2 slot connected directly to the CPU. (Speaking of that, some APUs have less PCIe lanes than normal going to the board with the internal lanes being used by the integrated graphics, double check that too)

Reactions: euphoria4949
Solution

euphoria4949

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2012
Updating the BIOS worked :confused_old:
Very strange, no reason the older BIOS should've caused it as it wasn't that old but it worked. A little concerning, will keep a close eye on this.

Thank you, @Eximo appreciate the advice. I had reseated it and tried with no other drives, so tried the BIOS and that worked. Weird.

Sep 25, 2021

i guess this is the issue im having?