New Build no power

Mr TRT

Honorable
Aug 26, 2012
I just but together a AMD3+ FX8150 eight-core 16MB Cache and a Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 Motherboard, 32MB memory (Kingston). XTI Radeon 1GB DDR3 VGA/DVI/HTMI video card and a Seagate 2TB Hard drive, 650 watt power supply with :pfff: Window 7 64 bit. Would not start up no power, so I Breadboarded the m/b with 1 stick memory, video card and a speaker. jumped the start switch and I don't get any power!. If I leave the CPU 8 pin power supply off the m/b the fans will come on. I think there a short in the CPU? I also removed the battery for about 15 min still no power with both power cables installed.

Solution

Check the back of the motherboard to make sure nothing is shorting out the back of the board anywhere. All it takes is an inadvertent...

Maxx_Power

Distinguished

Check the back of the motherboard to make sure nothing is shorting out the back of the board anywhere. All it takes is an inadvertent screw, a lack of standoffs or so.

Past that, you need to start diagnosing the computer issue part by part. Check the PSU (I suspect that works fine) on a different computer first.

At the 8-pin power, try only a 4 pin first.

Could very well be a DOA motherboard, but you can't be sure until you test it with other parts.

Solution

jsrudd

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2009
First try starting up the whole system outside of the case. If it starts then you know it's a standoff or loose screw that is shorting out the motherboard. This is most likely the issue and is one of the most common problems when building a computer.