The Recchi

Reputable
Jul 30, 2015
Hey guys.

I built my current PC in November 2015 and I use it for gaming. Right now I'm on 1080p|60fps|medium/high since I'm unable to go 1440p with my current specs, but I aim to game in 1440p|60fps|ultra. I recently had to buy a new monitor and I anticipated my upgrade and bought one that offers 1440p resolution, so I've got that already covered.

I was thinking about just replacing my GPU with (probably) an RTX 2070S or an RX 5700XT, and trying to sell my old GPU, but a friend suggested I should rather sell the whole thing a build a new PC. He bases his opinion on:
  1. Right now my GPU is not worth much by itself and I would get more value if I sell the whole rig.
  2. If I upgrade just my GPU, in the future (say 5 years) when I decide to upgrade again, my other components will be pretty old and I won't be able to sell them.
Should I upgrade just my GPU or start from scratch and make a new build? My specs:
  • MoBo: Gigabyte Z97X Gaming 5 - Socket 1150
  • CPU: Intel Core i7-4790k
  • RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3 1866Mhz CL10 (2x8GB)
  • GPU: MSI GTX 970 4GB 100ME
  • PSU: Seasonic S12G 750W 80+ Gold
  • Storage: 512GB SSD Crucial MX300 + 1TB HDD Seagate Barracuda 7200
By the way, I live in Eruope, more specifically in Spain. Thanks for the advice!

Solution
D
If you want the best performance and money is not a problem, I would recommend you to build a new rig. You should keep the PSU, SSD and hard drive for money saving. New mobo, CPU, and GPU. But if you want to keep on budget you could put higher-end GPU there and it should run fine, only I am not sure about bottlenecking.

WildCard999

Titan
Upgrade the GPU first, if you don't get the desired performance then upgrade the rest. Either 2070S or 5700 XT would be a good choice for 1440P/60hz/Ultra settings although if you go with the 5700 XT find a version with aftermarket cooling (dual or triple fans) as it's much better then the reference blower style.

D

Deleted member 2449024

If you want the best performance and money is not a problem, I would recommend you to build a new rig. You should keep the PSU, SSD and hard drive for money saving. New mobo, CPU, and GPU. But if you want to keep on budget you could put higher-end GPU there and it should run fine, only I am not sure about bottlenecking.

Solution

The Recchi

Reputable
Jul 30, 2015
Upgrade the GPU first, if you don't get the desired performance then upgrade the rest. Either 2070S or 5700 XT would be a good choice for 1440P/60hz/Ultra settings although if you go with the 5700 XT find a version with aftermarket cooling (dual or triple fans) as it's much better then the reference blower style.

Yeah. The only problem with this approach is that I'm planning on snatching some good deals on Black Friday. So if I pass on some of those offers, and later on it turns out that I needed the new components, I'll be losing money big time.

The Recchi

Reputable
Jul 30, 2015

I was thinking something like that. My PSU rocks and my Storage works like a charm, but if I keep those I'm going to be forced to sell the rest of my componentes separately, which is a pain in the ass =/.

Edit: There's also the bottleneck problem if I just upgrade my GPU. None of the options looks like a clear winner. Damn it sucks to be me.

D

Deleted member 2449024

I was thinking something like that. My PSU rocks and my Storage works like a charm, but if I keep those I'm going to be forced to sell the rest of my componentes separately, which is a pain in the ass =/.

Edit: There's also the bottleneck problem if I just upgrade my GPU. None of the options looks like a clear winner. Damn it sucks to be me.

As I said, you could sell the whole rig, you could buy new mobo, CPU and ram, or you could upgrade CPU and GPU of your rig. Which best suits you is up for yourself.