Mar 9, 2020
I built myself a new computer and everything works great, except I'll get random power cuts and reboots. It can run perfectly fine while playing games, or cut power a couple of times. It survives any stress tests I put it though, but can also cut power even when idling. Here's the component list and benchmarks:

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
Nvidia RTX 2070S (Super)
Gigabyte Aorus NVMe PCIe M.2 2TB
G.SKILL F4 DDR4 3600 C17 2x8GB
CORSAIR RMX Series (2018) RM650x Gold
CORSAIR HYDRO Series H115i PRO Water Cooler
Gigabyte X570 AORUS Elite WiFi Motherboard

Benchmark:
https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/24720816

I've gone through all of the following steps:
  • Ran CPU stress tests (Prime95) - no issue
  • Ran GPU stress tests (FurMark) - no issue
  • Ran RAM stress tests (MemTest64) - no issue
  • Got a replacement motherboard - still experienced power cuts
  • Tried running on one stick of RAM (both sticks) - still experienced power cuts
  • Replaced the RTX 2070 Super for a GTX 1060 - still experienced power cuts
  • Got a replacement power supply - still experienced power cuts
  • Got a 900W UPS - still experienced power cuts

I'm really at a loss here. The only step left I can see is getting a new CPU, but before I fill up my apartment with more Amazon packages, does anyone have any insight here? I cannot for the life of my figure out a proper way to diagnose this issue. Temperatures all seem normal, there no issues when it's running, no symptoms leading up to the crash, just sudden power cut and reboot. The only error code I get is "Windows Event 41: Kernel Power".

Please help me.

Have you tried a different outlet? The situation sounds like it's more your wiring than the computer. Also 900W is super excessive for that build, you don't need more than a 650W. If you plan to upgrade down the line or get 2070 SLI then I guess that's fine. Any who, try plugging into another confirmed working outlet and see if the power cuts are still there.

Mar 9, 2020
Have you tried a different outlet? The situation sounds like it's more your wiring than the computer. Also 900W is super excessive for that build, you don't need more than a 650W. If you plan to upgrade down the line or get 2070 SLI then I guess that's fine. Any who, try plugging into another confirmed working outlet and see if the power cuts are still there.

I haven't used a different outlet, but the UPS was supposed to eliminate that possibility with voltage stabilization and all. Was my assumption wrong there?

PS I know 900W is pretty excessive, but I figured this will last me for any future builds / expansions I have.

I haven't used a different outlet, but the UPS was supposed to eliminate that possibility with voltage stabilization and all. Was my assumption wrong there?

PS I know 900W is pretty excessive, but I figured this will last me for any future builds / expansions I have.

Understandable, the PSU I mean. As for the UPS that should indeed eliminate power failure from the wall temporarily. But perhaps it's the UPS itself that's faulty, or maybe you're exceeding your PSU's power draw limit. Either way, try plugging your computer into a different outlet that the UPS is not plugged into and troubleshoot from there.

Mar 9, 2020
PSU is 650W, UPS is 900W. I have tried it both with and without the UPS. I also have a secondary server computer running off the same outlet and haven't had any power issues with that one.

Mar 9, 2020
It could be one of the sticks of the memory is going bad. I would boot the computer with 1 stick to see if you have the same issue.
Tried that, no dice.

F4-3600C17D-16GTZKW
Qualified for use on Intel motherboards.
F4-3600C17D-16GTZSW
Qualified for use on Intel motherboards.

Ryzen 7 3700X supports DDR4-3200MHz memory out-of-the-box. You might try that speed instead of 3600MHz.
Actually didn't have the RAM clocked up for a while, was running at motherboard defaults (2800 MHz I think) and still had issues. May need to revisit it.

Sounds like only the CPU left
That's what I feared the most.

Looking at my downloads folder, I had two questionable installs that may have been causing issues:

AISO4ALL - audio driver I ended up not needing
f.lux - turns down the blue light levels at night

These seemed like potential troublemakers, so I've uninstalled them.

Praying for some stability. Next steps are RAM tweaks, a clean Windows install, and then a warranty claim on the CPU.

Wish me luck.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS