Jul 17, 2022
I just finished a new build, and when I try to turn it on, it looks like it begins to POST. The fans and system LEDs all turn on. The LEDs on the motherboard turn on and off in order until the BOOT LED, which stays on until the CPU LED turns on, and then the entire system turns off immediately after the CPU light turns on. I’m confused about what the problem could be, because everyone I ask has a different answer.

The thermal paste is a bit spotty and I just used what came pre-applied, and sometimes the PC turned itself off faster in consecutive attempts to turn it on, so I was thinking it might be a heating issue where the CPU reaches a critical temp and shuts itself off. I ordered new thermal paste, but I don’t know how to confirm if this is the case before that arrives, or if that even makes sense with the computer behavior.

Someone suggested that the system is drawing too much power (650W for a 3070 Ti and Ryzen 5900x) which may or may not be the case according to different websites, so I ordered an 850W power supply to be safe. However, I don’t feel like the CPU light should be turning on before the shutdown if this is the case. Is there any way to check this?

Another person suggested that the CPU light means my motherboard or CPU itself is having problems. I have reseated the CPU and it didn’t appear to have any broken or missing pins, but I’m not sure how to check if it is dead otherwise. Additionally, I do not know how I could check if the motherboard is broken, and I’m not sure what would be wrong with it if it turns on properly before shutting down. This is the idea I’m most concerned about, because I’m not sure how to return the CPU if its dead, or even how to tell which part is the problem. Any advice here would be appreciated

The build is an EVGA 3070 Ti, Ryzen 5900x, EVGA 80+ Gold 650W PSU, MSi 570x Gaming Plus motherboard, 16 gb of ddr4 2400mhz RAM (this is an old part, new part got delayed), an m.2 ssd and a hard drive, and a Corsair iCue h100i elite water cooler.

Thanks!

KyaraM

Admirable
I don't think it's the issue here yet, but you definitely should get a better PSU for that system. Suggested PSU size for the 3070Ti is 750W.

On your motherboards box, does it say ''ryzen 3000 ready'' or ''ryzen 5000 ready?''
Shouldn't a new board have a new BIOS version, though? I know mine didn't just get delivered with the very first available for it, but a very recent one from one month prior of order. And that board was a mere 6 months on the market, TC's has been out for two years. Very unlikely to grab old stock.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
I don't think it's the issue here yet, but you definitely should get a better PSU for that system. Suggested PSU size for the 3070Ti is 750W.

Shouldn't a new board have a new BIOS version, though? I know mine didn't just get delivered with the very first available for it, but a very recent one from one month prior of order. And that board was a mere 6 months on the market, TC's has been out for two years. Very unlikely to grab old stock.
Every x570 board Ive owned, Ive had to do a BIOS update for the 5000 series cpu's, it is very hit or miss but yeah, like you say, most new stock should be 5000 series straight out of the box. Here's his board on a UK retailers site and it says only 'ryzen 3000 series ready.' Imgur: The magic of the Internet

Last edited:
Reactions: RodroX

DSzymborski

Titan
There's a lot of old motherboard stock lying around. In the last few months, I've done five 570/550 installs for friends and colleagues and all but one had a BIOS version that was more than 18 months old (and I didn't buy any of the parts, so they were likely bought from an assortment of retailers).

I'd look for a sticker somewhere on the motherboard for BIOS version.

Reactions: RodroX and kurdtnz
Jul 17, 2022
The good news is that your mobo has a Flash Bios button allowing to update the bios without a compatible CPU
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/MPG-X570-GAMING-PLUS/Specification

Yeah, I have tried to flash the BIOS but I’m not sure if it worked. The USB showed that it was transferring data (convenient feature) and the motherboard had a little red light flashing in the top left, but the computer turned off suddenly after ~2 minutes of that, so idk if it finished. Because it keeps randomly turning off, I’m inclined to believe the BIOS flash didn’t work, but it could have worked and other issues just persisted.

Also, after testing some more, the VGA light also stays on with the BOOT light, and I’m not sure if I wrote this in the original post but it never displays anything via HDMI.

KyaraM

Admirable
Yeah, I have tried to flash the BIOS but I’m not sure if it worked. The USB showed that it was transferring data (convenient feature) and the motherboard had a little red light flashing in the top left, but the computer turned off suddenly after ~2 minutes of that, so idk if it finished. Because it keeps randomly turning off, I’m inclined to believe the BIOS flash didn’t work, but it could have worked and other issues just persisted.

Also, after testing some more, the VGA light also stays on with the BOOT light, and I’m not sure if I wrote this in the original post but it never displays anything via HDMI.
At this point I would wait for the new PSU to see if that fixes any problems, since a random switch off during a BIOS flash feels like it is having issues. Not because it is weak, but because apparently fails to deliver enough power for the computer to even stay on. The PC really shouldn't turn off during a BIOS flash and worst case the board is bricked...meaning you might have to RMA it. But let's see what the new PSU does first before panicking.

Jul 17, 2022
At this point I would wait for the new PSU to see if that fixes any problems, since a random switch off during a BIOS flash feels like it is having issues. Not because it is weak, but because apparently fails to deliver enough power for the computer to even stay on. The PC really shouldn't turn off during a BIOS flash and worst case the board is bricked...meaning you might have to RMA it. But let's see what the new PSU does first before panicking.

I ordered it on Amazon and have a pretty good track record so I think I should be fine returning the product if its broken, just sucks to wait. The new PSU and some new thermal paste arrive Wednesday, and I’ve got a friend coming to test an earlier CPU and different PSU before then, so hopefully between all that I can start to rule some stuff out.

KyaraM

Admirable
I ordered it on Amazon and have a pretty good track record so I think I should be fine returning the product if its broken, just sucks to wait. The new PSU and some new thermal paste arrive Wednesday, and I’ve got a friend coming to test an earlier CPU and different PSU before then, so hopefully between all that I can start to rule some stuff out.
That sounds good! Hope the testing lets you find the issue, fingers crossed.

The PSU should be stronger to power for a R9 5900X + RTX 3070TI when both in high usage. But it should not stop the system from getting to post and get into Windows. Another thing OP should do is list the exact brand and model of each part. There are 4 different RTX 3070TI and a lots of EVGA 650 watts PSUs.

Unless OP forgot to plug any power cable, or theres some part that have a problem/issue (like motherboard BIOS not compatible with Ryzen 5xxx series) the system should post, and at least allow OP to enter BIOS.

Reactions: kurdtnz
Jul 17, 2022
The PSU should be stronger to power for a R9 5900X + RTX 3070TI when both in high usage. But it should not stop the system from getting to post and get into Windows. Another thing OP should do is list the exact brand and model of each part. There are 4 different RTX 3070TI and a lots of EVGA 650 watts PSUs.

Unless OP forgot to plug any power cable, or theres some part that have a problem/issue (like motherboard BIOS not compatible with Ryzen 5xxx series) the system should post, and at least allow OP to enter BIOS.

Hi, and thanks for the response.
Here’s to be more specific on the computer parts:
  • The motherboard is an MSi MPG x570 Gaming Plus, which may not be compatible with Ryzen 5th gen out of the box. I tried to flash update it, but its unclear if it worked because it still doesn’t seem to POST and the CPU light followed by a shutdown happened when the flashing light that started from the BIOS flash port was still going, and the PC tried to restart itself multiple (3?) times but instantly shut down each time and eventually stopped trying to turn back on
  • GPU is EVGA RTX 3070 Ti FTW ULTRA, it has LEDs and fans that are turning on so its getting at least some power but the motherboard VGA light stays on until the random shutdown happens
  • M.2 is a samsung 980 1tb
  • HDD is a 3tb seagate, neither of the drives has Windows installed yet because it won’t boot up to BIOS, but the BOOT light also stays on until it randomly shuts down
  • PSU is a 650w EVGA Supernova GT 80+ gold
  • CPU is Ryzen 9 5900x, cooler is Corsair H100i Elite Capellix
  • Case is an NZXT H7 flow
  • RAM is some older DDR4 2400 mhz 8 gb sticks, but they are both working because they’re from my old PC and that still runs after testing the RAM in the new PC. I am getting 32 gb of 3600 mhz DDR4 for my new system but it is coming with the replacement PSU and new thermal paste I ordered for t

I have tried unplugging and plugging back in the power cables on both ends, nothing seems to have changed. The CPU, Motherboard, SATA for HDD, SATA for LED controller on water cooler, and GPU all have power cables running to them. The motherboard has a 8+4 pin set for the CPU and I only have the 8 pin plugged in because the PSU didn’t come with an additional 4 pin, but from what I’ve read this shouldn’t be the issue.

The system has never displayed anything on a connected computer screen, and I have tried the HDMI on the GPU and the one from the motherboard (this was probably dumb seeing as the CPU has no integrated graphics). I press the power button, the system turns on, fans and LEDs are working on every part (cooler, fans, GPU) and the system flashes through the lights in what looks like a normal POST to me. Then, the VGA and BOOT lights stay on for a variable amount of time (usually 30s to a minute max, but it stayed on for about 2 minutes when I tried to flash the BIOS the first time) and then they go out right when the CPU light comes on, and the whole system turns off. When I turn on the computer multiple times in a row, consecutive shutdowns are faster. When I wait a long time between trying to turn it on, it runs for longer but still always shuts down. It never attempted to restart itself after turning off except after the 2 minute period it was on during the BIOS flash, but it instantly turned back off each time it tried to restart.

If there are any other details that might be helpful, please let me know. Thanks!

Hi, and thanks for the response.
Here’s to be more specific on the computer parts:
  • The motherboard is an MSi MPG x570 Gaming Plus, which may not be compatible with Ryzen 5th gen out of the box. I tried to flash update it, but its unclear if it worked because it still doesn’t seem to POST and the CPU light followed by a shutdown happened when the flashing light that started from the BIOS flash port was still going, and the PC tried to restart itself multiple (3?) times but instantly shut down each time and eventually stopped trying to turn back on
  • GPU is EVGA RTX 3070 Ti FTW ULTRA, it has LEDs and fans that are turning on so its getting at least some power but the motherboard VGA light stays on until the random shutdown happens
  • M.2 is a samsung 980 1tb
  • HDD is a 3tb seagate, neither of the drives has Windows installed yet because it won’t boot up to BIOS, but the BOOT light also stays on until it randomly shuts down
  • PSU is a 650w EVGA Supernova GT 80+ gold
  • CPU is Ryzen 9 5900x, cooler is Corsair H100i Elite Capellix
  • Case is an NZXT H7 flow
  • RAM is some older DDR4 2400 mhz 8 gb sticks, but they are both working because they’re from my old PC and that still runs after testing the RAM in the new PC. I am getting 32 gb of 3600 mhz DDR4 for my new system but it is coming with the replacement PSU and new thermal paste I ordered for t
I have tried unplugging and plugging back in the power cables on both ends, nothing seems to have changed. The CPU, Motherboard, SATA for HDD, SATA for LED controller on water cooler, and GPU all have power cables running to them. The motherboard has a 8+4 pin set for the CPU and I only have the 8 pin plugged in because the PSU didn’t come with an additional 4 pin, but from what I’ve read this shouldn’t be the issue.

The system has never displayed anything on a connected computer screen, and I have tried the HDMI on the GPU and the one from the motherboard (this was probably dumb seeing as the CPU has no integrated graphics). I press the power button, the system turns on, fans and LEDs are working on every part (cooler, fans, GPU) and the system flashes through the lights in what looks like a normal POST to me. Then, the VGA and BOOT lights stay on for a variable amount of time (usually 30s to a minute max, but it stayed on for about 2 minutes when I tried to flash the BIOS the first time) and then they go out right when the CPU light comes on, and the whole system turns off. When I turn on the computer multiple times in a row, consecutive shutdowns are faster. When I wait a long time between trying to turn it on, it runs for longer but still always shuts down. It never attempted to restart itself after turning off except after the 2 minute period it was on during the BIOS flash, but it instantly turned back off each time it tried to restart.

If there are any other details that might be helpful, please let me know. Thanks!

Thank you for the great detail.

- Are you positive you donwloaded and unzipped the right BIOS into de USB drive? Did you followed the instructions on page 30 (meant to link the manual lol....)?

Just so you know, when the manual said "No other components are necessary but power supply. " It really means that, you dont need the CPU on the socket, nor the RAM, not any SATA devices, no GPU, nothing at all, only the motherboard, the power cables mention on the insructions and the usb drive with the right format and BIOS file (and name).

- Have you tried booting with only 1 stick of RAM.

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2022
Thank you for the great detail.

- Are you positive you donwloaded and unzipped the right BIOS into de USB drive? Did you followed the instructions on page 30 (file:///F:/TioChuchuV2/Descarga/MPGX570GAMINGPLUS.pdf)?

Just so you know, when the manual said "No other components are necessary but power supply. " It really means that, you dont need the CPU on the socket, nor the RAM, not any SATA devices, no GPU, nothing at all, only the motherboard, the power cables mention on the insructions and the usb drive with the right format and BIOS file (and name).

- Have you tried booting with only 1 stick of RAM.

I have tried booting with only 1 stick of RAM, for both sticks. Did not seem to make a difference (I will note that I am using the 2nd and 4th slots from the left, which is what I thought the manual told me to do). The error light for DRAM has never come on except flashing momentarily as it does normally (at least I hope that’s normal?) when initially turning a motherboard on, and the RAM works perfectly well in the other computer, so I’m thinking that both the RAM and slots on the new mobo are fine.

Based on what you said should I try updating the BIOS with only the power supply? And if that also fails to work, that narrows down the issue to just the motherboard and PSU?

I did follow the instructions correctly as far as I can tell— FAT32 formatted USB drive, downloaded the latest BIOS on the official MSI website page for my motherboard, renamed the BIOS file to MSI.rom (I might have used lowercase? And there were two files when I unzipped the download, but the other was a .txt file with the changelog for the update so I assume the other file was the correct one to rename) and when I inserted it, the LED near the BIOS flash USB port did start blinking. The LED did not ever stop blinking if I remember correctly, so I’m thinking that maybe the CPU light /shutdown thing happened before the update finished.

I have a friend who was kind enough to offer to help me test using a Ryzen 3600 and a 750w power supply later tonight, so that might also shed some light on this. I’m currently at work, so I can’t physically access the build right now, but if you have any other suggestions to narrow down what is wrong, that’s greatly appreciated. Thanks for all your help and input so far.

Reactions: kurdtnz
Jul 17, 2022
Yes the file thats not the changelog (.txt), is the one that need it rename.

Let me see if I understood correctly, The PC was turn Off, right ?, you insterted the usb drive into the correct usb port, and then pressed the BIOS flash button ?

Yes, that’s right. I put the USB with only that file into the Flash BIOS USB port, and I pressed the Flash BIOS button. The computer turned on after a short delay, and then the motherboard LED near that port starting blinking, which shows it was updating according to the manual. But then, while the LED was still blinking, the CPU error light turned on and the computer shut off. It turned itself back on, but shut off again instantly, and tried to turn itself back on 2 more times. Then it was off like normal. I think that means the update was interrupted, but I’m not sure.

Yes, that’s right. I put the USB with only that file into the Flash BIOS USB port, and I pressed the Flash BIOS button. The computer turned on after a short delay, and then the motherboard LED near that port starting blinking, which shows it was updating according to the manual. But then, while the LED was still blinking, the CPU error light turned on and the computer shut off. It turned itself back on, but shut off again instantly, and tried to turn itself back on 2 more times. Then it was off like normal. I think that means the update was interrupted, but I’m not sure.

Out of curiosity, Did you have the CPU/RAM installed on their socket ?

Jul 17, 2022
That sounds good! Hope the testing lets you find the issue, fingers crossed.

As a quick update: we tested with my friend’s Ryzen 3600 CPU, and it booted! Turns out the BIOS version was already correct but we reinstalled the newest version for safety (though the version installed might’ve been unfinished or corrupt due to the computer turning off during my first attempt at flashing the BIOS). Every component was detected and we were able to install windows and chrome and connect to the internet etc.

When we took out that CPU and replaced it with the 5900x, it failed to boot again. We used new thermal paste each time, so the heating shouldn’t have been a factor. When I say failed to boot, it was even different from how it was before we successfully booted with the 3600. When the 5900x was in, the system had lights turn on for a second and all the error LEDs flickered before it turned off (on for less than a second total). Sometimes, it seemed to flicker twice as if it was trying and failing to turn itself back on. I’ve ordered a replacement CPU and am returning the original, so hopefully that fixed it. However, I’m worried that the behavior was different than it was before. Does this mean the CPU breaking happened between when we tested the new one and the issue was something else? Could the behavior be explained because we successfully booted the computer and ran the BIOS and OS for the first time? I’m just not sure if I should trust it, and I’m worried something else has gone wrong and will impact the new CPU or build in general. Any feedback is appreciated.

As a quick update: we tested with my friend’s Ryzen 3600 CPU, and it booted! Turns out the BIOS version was already correct but we reinstalled the newest version for safety (though the version installed might’ve been unfinished or corrupt due to the computer turning off during my first attempt at flashing the BIOS). Every component was detected and we were able to install windows and chrome and connect to the internet etc.

When we took out that CPU and replaced it with the 5900x, it failed to boot again. We used new thermal paste each time, so the heating shouldn’t have been a factor. When I say failed to boot, it was even different from how it was before we successfully booted with the 3600. When the 5900x was in, the system had lights turn on for a second and all the error LEDs flickered before it turned off (on for less than a second total). Sometimes, it seemed to flicker twice as if it was trying and failing to turn itself back on. I’ve ordered a replacement CPU and am returning the original, so hopefully that fixed it. However, I’m worried that the behavior was different than it was before. Does this mean the CPU breaking happened between when we tested the new one and the issue was something else? Could the behavior be explained because we successfully booted the computer and ran the BIOS and OS for the first time? I’m just not sure if I should trust it, and I’m worried something else has gone wrong and will impact the new CPU or build in general. Any feedback is appreciated.

Probably the new behavior is related to the newest BIOS version installed using the R5 3600.

And yes at this time, getting a new R9 5900X and returning the old was, for me, the way to go.

When you get your system runing with the new R9 5900X, remember to stop by AMD website and download the newest chipset driver for your motherboard (Drivers->Chipset->Socket AM4->X570). Make sure you pick the right OS, since they have Windows 11 options too.

Jul 17, 2022
Probably the new behavior is related to the newest BIOS version installed using the R5 3600.

And yes at this time, getting a new R9 5900X and returning the old was, for me, the way to go.

When you get your system runing with the new R9 5900X, remember to stop by AMD website and download the newest chipset driver for your motherboard (Drivers->Chipset->Socket AM4->X570). Make sure you pick the right OS, since they have Windows 11 options too.

Sounds good to me. I really do hope the behavior difference is nothing else going wrong and that the new CPU will fix it, but I do still have a new PSU on the way so hopefully between the two of those there will be no more issues. Thanks for ur help.

Reactions: RodroX

TRENDING THREADS