[SOLVED] New build so i need some professional help

Nick C.

Reputable
Sep 12, 2019
Hello everybody,
recently i have been experiencing blue screens etc in games by just running them for like 5 minutes so i decided to change my motherboard, cpu and ram for now.

Curently i have fx 8350, dd3 ram 1866 mhz and gigabyte motherboard gigabyte 970a-ds3p rev 2.0

I wanted to upgrade to Ryzen 5 3600, ddr 4 RAM 3200 mhz and a new motherboard but i don't know which one.
Also i play a lot of games and do design so i am still thinking if Ryzen is the way to go? Everybody is saying Ryzen is very good etc but is it good compared to i7 processors?

Also can somebody tell me a good motherboard for this build (i have NZXT x52 liquid cooling and i want to overclock my new processor when i get one)

Solution
And is getting gaming motherboard let's say B450 Strix one, is it worth it being gaming and what's the difference between a motherboard that's nothing and the one that's gaming?
Marketing is the difference! That's all.

nothing major, they just know it sells better to gamers.
If you do get a B450 board, just remember that needs a BIOS update prior to using 3rd Gen Ryzen. So you'd have to verify the seller ships it with the latest BIOS. If it doesn't you will need a previous CPU to update the BIOS.

Other than that, higher end MSI B450 boards like the B450 TOMAHAWK, have a CPU-less BIOS update button so you don't need the CPU and can update it yourself before using the new CPU.

Alternatively the B450 TOMAHAWK MAX...

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Basically Ryzen wins massively on the value perspective at the moment. In gaming, some of the Intel alternatives "just" sneak into the winning spot, for usually for the same or less cost, you have one that is incredibly similar, has a cooler included, and also is much better at multicore processes, so it is perfect for most people.

If you do however go for 3rd Gen Ryzen, they may be little benefit to overclocking. Many tests have shown that AMD did a great job with the turbo clock on the Ryzen chips that performing all core overclocking led to very little change and in fact usually just let to instability. So there is no real need to overclock the 3600 IMO.

What is your budget and currency? (Assuming USD?).
You may find you need a compatible backplate or mounting kit for the NZXT if you change platform.

Also what PSU make and model and GPU do you have?

Depends with which I7 you are comparing it to but yes, it's very good and potent CPU, several orders better than FX for sure also cheaper than i7.
As for MB for 3600, sure fire is any MB with x570 chipset but a good b450 MB would do too providing it's BIOS is updated.
Practically any 3200MHz DDR4 would also work, 2x8GB being best combination.
One more thing which GPU do you have ?

Reactions: PC Tailor

Nick C.

Reputable
Sep 12, 2019
Basically Ryzen wins massively on the value perspective at the moment. In gaming, some of the Intel alternatives "just" sneak into the winning spot, for usually for the same or less cost, you have one that is incredibly similar, has a cooler included, and also is much better at multicore processes, so it is perfect for most people.

If you do however go for 3rd Gen Ryzen, they may be little benefit to overclocking. Many tests have shown that AMD did a great job with the turbo clock on the Ryzen chips that performing all core overclocking led to very little change and in fact usually just let to instability. So there is no real need to overclock the 3600 IMO.

What is your budget and currency? (Assuming USD?).
You may find you need a compatible backplate or mounting kit for the NZXT if you change platform.

Also what PSU make and model and GPU do you have?
Yes i did hear things about overclocking AMD and how it wasn't the best idea, i just wanted to ask.
My PSU is Thermaltake SmarT SE 730 W and my GPU is GTX 1050 Ti STRIX
My budget is let's say around 600 Euros for these components, my friends that know computers ''well'' let's say keep saying to me that getting cheaper motherboard is better for some reason because of the price, but one friend which knows computers really good, tells me that i need to change the GPU too, which i intented to do, but a bit later, cause there game crashes/blue screens are getting really anoying and my fps in games is drasticly low for some reason since i got the new windows.

Nick C.

Reputable
Sep 12, 2019
Depends with which I7 you are comparing it to but yes, it's very good and potent CPU, several orders better than FX for sure also cheaper than i7.
As for MB for 3600, sure fire is any MB with x570 chipset but a good b450 MB would do too providing it's BIOS is updated.
Practically any 3200MHz DDR4 would also work, 2x8GB being best combination.
One more thing which GPU do you have ?
I just want to know if Ryzen 3600 will have a huge impact on my gaming experience, since with this current setup i'm getting too much stutters/lags and just overall crashes and blue screens.
My other option which is a bit more expensive is i7 8700k, but i don't know if getting Ryzen for so much less is better, especially Ryzen third gen.
I have gtx 1050 Ti strix version right now by the way, and is 3200 Mhz good for ddr 4?

I just want to know if Ryzen 3600 will have a huge impact on my gaming experience, since with this current setup i'm getting too much stutters/lags and just overall crashes and blue screens.
My other option which is a bit more expensive is i7 8700k, but i don't know if getting Ryzen for so much less is better, especially Ryzen third gen.
I have gtx 1050 Ti strix version right now by the way, and is 3200 Mhz good for ddr 4?
Yes, specially with CPU heavy games, for other's your GPU may be too slow. Comparing to 8700k it should fare quite good.
There are much faster DDR4 but 3200MHz is good enough for gaming.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Thermaltake SmarT SE 730 W
Well there is one problem. Thermaltake Smart is arguably the worst ThermalTake have to offer, and I've seen it cause problems in multiple systems. So I'd absolutely be upgrading that, especially if you've had it a while. Especially if you're changing GPU.

Agreed with above 3200 is excellent for 3rd Gen Ryzen gaming.

Also would you be looking for a B450 or X570 board? (X470 also possible).

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2019
If you want to change the gpu i would recommend rx570 4 or 8gb. if you want more go for rx 580 or rx 590. As for motherboard MSI B450 tomahawk is great. It has nice VRM cooling the bellow video might be useful. Also if it needs bios update then use the flash bios button method.
The CPU is great.

Well there is one problem. Thermaltake Smart is arguably the worst ThermalTake have to offer, and I've seen it cause problems in multiple systems. So I'd absolutely be upgrading that, especially if you've had it a while. Especially if you're changing GPU.

For PSU you may go for some reputable brand and good reviewed models.

Hope this helps:)

Last edited:
Reactions: PC Tailor

Nick C.

Reputable
Sep 12, 2019

Agreed with above 3200 is excellent for 3rd Gen Ryzen gaming.

Also would you be looking for a B450 or X570 board? (X470 also possible).
I didn't know anything about this PSU being bad, i'm just hearing that now, which other psu could i get that is let's say very good for my ''new'' pc?
Also i wanted to ask for new GPU and idk which one should i get, some NVidia but which one should i pare this processor with so it works perfectly fine?
Also about the board, well which one is the best?

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Unfortunately poor quality PSUs are the results of many problems, and often the worst problems as shown here in point 1: Top (not as obvious) mistakes made when selecting parts for a Custom PC. That guide may give you some other insight too.

Well you don't need the BEST board. Just one that suits that processor and your usage of it.
The 3600 can go with most GPUs (if not all GPUs) really. The RX5700XT would be a perfect combination in many cases, but this also depends on your monitor resolution and refresh rate.

PSU would largely depend on what system you get at the end. Really once you've put together your system, then you can identify a good quality PSU to round it all off. But the PSU should be the last thing to go cheap on, and unfortunately most people don't take this into account and end up going cheap on it.

Nick C.

Reputable
Sep 12, 2019
Unfortunately poor quality PSUs are the results of many problems, and often the worst problems as shown here in point 1: Top (not as obvious) mistakes made when selecting parts for a Custom PC. That guide may give you some other insight too.

Well you don't need the BEST board. Just one that suits that processor and your usage of it.
The 3600 can go with most GPUs (if not all GPUs) really. The RX5700XT would be a perfect combination in many cases, but this also depends on your monitor resolution and refresh rate.

PSU would largely depend on what system you get at the end. Really once you've put together your system, then you can identify a good quality PSU to round it all off. But the PSU should be the last thing to go cheap on, and unfortunately most people don't take this into account and end up going cheap on it.
So it's okay if i stay with my curent graphics card until i gather some more money, right?
Because i just wanted to change motherboard, cpu and ram now. I can also get new PSU but as you say i should look into it more.

I wanna ask something more if possible, will i see some big improvements from this fx 8350, because as i said, i just stutter all around in all games right now, i don't even know what's the problem, cause let's say today, i downloaded asassins's creed Odyssey again, i was playing for 5 minutes and it blue screened. I play Fortnite and i stutter ALL around, i have extremely low fps and blue screens. It's like when i play games or put anything heavy on my pc it blue screens.
My main concert is that right now, will all of that above change and will i see some great improvements in gameplay in mater of Fps and all of that.
My second option was i7 8700k but the price is very different, so is Ryzen 5 3600 somewhat similar to it if not even same as far as i heard?

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Yes, the FX8350 is outdated and poorly optimised. The 3600 is an excellent CPU and is on a newer platform with DDR4 for example.

The other problem is the FX series is they have a low throttle temp, and it's quite common that they overheat and cause stop errors if they are not well maintained and cooled effectively. For detailed analysis of the stop errors though (blue screens) we'd have to analyse the dump files to see what is potentially causing it, so I'm speculating at this point. The 3600 is a big improvement over any of the FX series.

The Ryzen will win on value, so their gaming performance is very similar, the 8700K will top it slightly (not massively), however the Ryzen can be half the price for similar performance.

Nick C.

Reputable
Sep 12, 2019
So in your opinion getting ryzen 5 3600 is way better at this point than getting i7 8700k, right?
And how do i see dump files, if you can help with that (other blue screen related stuff)

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
So in your opinion getting ryzen 5 3600 is way better at this point than getting i7 8700k, right?
And how do i see dump files, if you can help with that (other blue screen related stuff)
If you want an upgrade anyway, I would replace hardware first. As you'll end up replacing nearly all the hardware and you will want to clean reinstall windows too. So nearly all potential causes of your BSOD should go away. I can help, but don't see much point if you're going to upgrade, that would be an entirely new thread.

I would personally say the 3600 is way better than the 8700K just based on value. The 8700K is better, but twice the price better? Not IMO.

Reactions: WildCard999

Nick C.

Reputable
Sep 12, 2019
And is getting gaming motherboard let's say B450 Strix one, is it worth it being gaming and what's the difference between a motherboard that's nothing and the one that's gaming?

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Marketing is the difference! That's all.

nothing major, they just know it sells better to gamers.
If you do get a B450 board, just remember that needs a BIOS update prior to using 3rd Gen Ryzen. So you'd have to verify the seller ships it with the latest BIOS. If it doesn't you will need a previous CPU to update the BIOS.

Other than that, higher end MSI B450 boards like the B450 TOMAHAWK, have a CPU-less BIOS update button so you don't need the CPU and can update it yourself before using the new CPU.

Alternatively the B450 TOMAHAWK MAX or any X570 board is out of the box compatible.

Solution

Nick C.

Reputable
Sep 12, 2019
Oh okay, just one more thing, i curently have 2x8 gb 1866 ram but windows reads it like this 16 GB (7.98 usable)
Why?
My motherboard is dual channel supported, and both rams are the same..