Question New build stopped booting after 1 week, think it's the PSU??

Dec 27, 2022
Hey all, my new build stopped booting up after 1 week. I already ordered a new PSU, but wanted to test it again. When it was connected and i removed the mb and CPU cables and connected them both to my psu tester it would not even light up.

Now I removed the psu from the case and tested it again. It beeps and shows a number "PG 120-130" blinking any idea what this means?

I found that this is the power good value. But number does not seem too high or too low to me? Normally with a psu with no issues the tester does not beep I believe.

Dec 27, 2022
I am totally distraught. I built this new system and was super excited to have a big speed, memory and graphics upgrade compared to my previous system. Things went pretty OK with the build, no major issues. I installed windows 10, all my apps, used the PC for a week. Then a few days before christmas i went downstairs to turn that baby on and nothing happened. Just dead. The backlights on the motherboard still light up, but no CPU fan, no case fans (with LED) powering on, so I thought it was my PSU.

I have a PSU tester, and tested it, no major red flags, or maybe i'm not understanding my PSU tester well enough.

So thinking still that it could be the PSU i ordered a new one. It finally came today and i used my PSU tester on it, it gave similar results to the existing PSU so i figure maybe its NOT the PSU? I cleared the CMOS. I swapped out my SSD with a spare/fresh one. Still no booting, no fans starting, nothing.

What can I try next? I am semi-tempted to bring this into a PC repair shop and just have them deal with it. I'm at my ends wit, energy, been sick for 3 weeks, family etc. I just have no energy to troubleshoot this. What do you guys think?

Stats:
https://de.pcpartpicker.com/user/mlolm/saved/NQc9CJ

CPU
AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 3.7 GHz 12-Core Processor

CPU Cooler
be quiet! Pure Rock 2 FX CPU Cooler

Motherboard
ASRock B550M Pro4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard

Memory
Kingston FURY Beast 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory

HDD
Seagate Barracuda Compute 4 TB 3.5" 5400 RPM Internal Hard Drive

OPERATING SSD
KIOXIA EXCERIA PRO 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive

Graphics Card
Gigabyte EAGLE OC Rev 2.0 GeForce RTX 3060 12GB 12 GB Video Card

Case
Lian Li O11 Dynamic Mini ATX Mid Tower Case

Power Supply
EVGA SuperNOVA 550 GM 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular SFX Power Supply

Operating System
Microsoft Windows 10 Pro OEM - DVD 64-bit

Case Fan
be quiet! Light Wings PWM 140mm, Triple-Set

OS
Windows 10 Pro

Hey there,

So, there are a couple of issue in my mind. The first is your CPU/Mobo combo. Whilst the B550m is just average, it does not have a robust VRM/Phase set up at all. It's 6 +2. It's really not good enough for the CPU you have for the CPU to perform as expected. It may throttle, when you do get it up and running.

Also, your PSU is the bare minimum to run your CPU/GPU. You've 550w, which is less than the recommended for your system (3060ti is 600w min). Whilst it's a pretty good PSU, and you won't really be pulling 550w all of the time, there are times when it will push past that. So you need to think of an upgrade there.

What are the names and models of both PSU's?

Any bent pins on CPU?

Edit: You cooler is not sufficient for that CPU.

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2022
OK Quick update:

Apparently the plug in my power strip died. I took the PC into a repair shop and it booted up fine and everything was perfect. Came back home, plugged everyhthing all back in again and it wouldnt boot. Even though the motherboard backlighting still came on. So i switched to another power strip and it works fine now.

@Roland Of Gilead :

Yeah the motherboard is a "cheaper" one. I am not overclocking or pushing things to the max much so I think I won't notice if its throttled a tiny bit.

As for the GPU, i have not played any hard hitting games yet. Normally I am not playing the latest graphic card burner at highest settings anyways, so maybe its OK. Really this is a more powerful system than I need for my day to day use, it's more of a futureproof hedge. Plus I plan to play D4, thats about the most graphical intensive game I plan to play in the near future. I'd rather not buy a new PSU, especially since the case can only use SFX, 600W+ SFX PSUs get pricey. For the PSU i have I think i paid 80. 600W I see at 110 (not too bad), 700+ is near 200.

By the way - Long days and pleasant nights! Love your name.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
OK Quick update:

Apparently the plug in my power strip died. I took the PC into a repair shop and it booted up fine and everything was perfect. Came back home, plugged everyhthing all back in again and it wouldnt boot. Even though the motherboard backlighting still came on. So i switched to another power strip and it works fine now.

@Roland Of Gilead :

Yeah the motherboard is a "cheaper" one. I am not overclocking or pushing things to the max much so I think I won't notice if its throttled a tiny bit.

As for the GPU, i have not played any hard hitting games yet. Normally I am not playing the latest graphic card burner at highest settings anyways, so maybe its OK. Really this is a more powerful system than I need for my day to day use, it's more of a futureproof hedge. Plus I plan to play D4, thats about the most graphical intensive game I plan to play in the near future. I'd rather not buy a new PSU, especially since the case can only use SFX, 600W+ SFX PSUs get pricey. For the PSU i have I think i paid 80. 600W I see at 110 (not too bad), 700+ is near 200.

By the way - Long days and pleasant nights! Love your name.

Thankee Sai! :) You read it?

Ah, okay. As long as you don't push it with the CPU it should be okay. If you find it really throttles, you can upgrade to something stronger to let your CPU shine. Your PSU is a good one. Just very little wiggle room.

Here's a little resource for future reference: B550 VRM DB sheet - Google Sheets

Here's a list of most B550's and the ones that would take your CPU with ease. Mainly anything above 10+2 phases.

In your case and with the gaming your doing, you should be okay.

Dec 27, 2022
Thankee Sai! :) You read it?

Ah, okay. As long as you don't push it with the CPU it should be okay. If you find it really throttles, you can upgrade to something stronger to let your CPU shine. Your PSU is a good one. Just very little wiggle room.

Here's a little resource for future reference: B550 VRM DB sheet - Google Sheets

Here's a list of most B550's and the ones that would take your CPU with ease. Mainly anything above 10+2 phases.

In your case and with the gaming your doing, you should be okay.

Read them all. Not only that but The Dark tower has special meaning in our family. My wife recommended the series to me and we both reread it together. We named our first daughter Susannah-Rose.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
Read them all. Not only that but The Dark tower has special meaning in our family. My wife recommended the series to me and we both reread it together. We named our first daughter Susannah-Rose.

Wow! Cool to name your daughter Susannah-Rose. It's a lovely name. Nice to meet a fellow Dark Tower reader and Mid World-ian :) I've loved it and am on a 4th read. Every time I pick up new stuff I missed before.

Good look with the build, and if you need any other help, feel free to post a new thread or drop me a PM.