New build turns on, but no picture?

sorox

Honorable
Aug 24, 2012
I'm not sure if this is the right place to put this, but i can't think of anywhere else and I'm scared I might have broken something.

Today, i finally got all my parts in the mail to build a computer. I put it all together using the instructions, common sense, and a video guide. After doing everything to the directions, i plugged it into a cRT monitor via the DVI port on my m0therboard, and it started up.... but nothing showed up on the monitor. It would show blocks of color until I turned the computer on which tells me it notices the computer is connected, but 30 seconds after the blocks go away, the green light showing me the monitor was on and connected to a computer, would turn orange which means the computer is off but the monitor is on. The orange light would come on even when the computer was still on.

Now, essentially, the question I'm asking is this.

Is this a problem with my CRT monitor (it's one of the bulky late 90's ones), or did i screw up when putting the parts together?

These are the specs:

CPU: Intel Pentium Dual-Core G860 3.0 GHz
Motherboard: ASRock H61M-DGS LGA 1155 Intel H61 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
RAM: G.Skill 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3 1333MHz
Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 7770
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 500 GB SATA III
Power supply: Cooler Master Elite 460W ATX +12V V2.31 SATA, PCI-E Power Supply RS460-PSARI3-US
Case: GAMMA Classic Series ATX Mid Tower Interior Steel Chassis (Black)

You connected the monitor to the DVI port on the motherboard?

If so, you need to connect it to the 7770. You won't see anything from the monitor with it connected to the motherboard when you have a discreet GPU installed.

With the GPU installed, the signal goes through the GPU output, not the motherboard output (that's the default, anyway).

Also, a CRT monitor with a DVI connector? That's odd, if true. Are you sure that it's not a VGA connector (since the motherboard has one of those, as well)?

If it is a VGA connector and your 7770 didn't come with a DVI to VGA adapter (and the XFX 7770's that I saw don't), then you'll need one of these to connect your monitor to the 7770. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814999201