Jaxon

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
hey hey
opinions on the following please
amd 1 gig and abit k7ta-raid??
i guess you figured it , i'm going to build my first computor , yup your right.
all help would be greatly appreciated

G

You'll need to provide a bit more info if you want help.
You want help in selecting components or need instructions on how to build your system?
Is this system intended mainly for gaming or else?
What's the budget?

- We'll if you really should need RAID, get two good HDD like IBM's 75GXP Series of HDDs. If not get one.
- Get a GeForce2 Ultra 64 DDR
- SBLive! X-Gamer 5.1
- 256Mb PC133 CL2 Crucial RAM (rather cheap right now)
- Nice set of speakers like Altec Lansing or Boston Accoustics
- Get a DSL or Cable connection for online gaming.

- Better go Green than Blue!

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I can't argue with that hardware. (Not that much was listed to be able to argue with...)

The question is: Do you want RAID to actually use it as RAID? Or do you just want the four onboard IDE controllers? :)

These RAID motherboards are the best things that have come out yet. Now I can fill my tower without having to install a SCSI or IDE card. He he he he he. Ha ha ha ha ha. Ho ho ho ho ho.

- Sanity is purely based on point-of-view.

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Build a real Intel PC, you will be much happier.

Just flip back a few pages on this forum and most of the problem posts are about AMD and thermal problems, Incompatabilities, fragile core issues with heatsinks, power supplies problems, ...

AMD people will deny that, but just take a min and flip back =)

For a first time builder, its hard to go wrong with Intel.
Get a 800EB PIII and Asus CUSL2 motherboard. you will be very happy. That CPU will overlclock to 1Ghz easy.

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Fugger, you do have a point. AMD systems do have all sorts of weird and annoying errors at times that Intel systems (with an Intel chipset motherboard) don't have. But most of that is VIA's fault. Heh heh.

So yeah, for a first system an Intel chip might be safer. The AMD system might run perfectly fine. Then again, it might not. And if you're not used to doing hardware maintanance at the drop of a hat, that stability might be worth the extra money.

Oh, and for overclocking, wouldn't it be better to use the 100MHz FSB P3 750 and just up the FSB to 133? Then you'd have a 1GHz chip.

Jaxon

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
ok you all got me thinking . thanks!!!!
will go for p111 800 now
but , what would be the BEST mobo for that
mainly gaming
many thanks guys
jaxon
am looking at abit now

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I'd say that just about any motherboard with an Intel 815 chipset will be a good one. You'll probably want the 815E because of the ATA100 support. Personally I don't see how this really matters since that faster support will only last as long as the cache memory on the HD lasts. No hard drive even reads fast enough to actually challenge the ATA66 without using the cache yet. So the difference currently is minimal at best. But for future expansion, ATA100 will be useful. So I'd suggest any motherboard with an Intel 815E chipset.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Go for the 700E, it is cheaper and will make it above 133MHz more easily. Most PIII's (even the "slow" ones) can make it to about 980MHz. With the 700E. 980 would come at 140MHz bus speed. With the 800E you would only be at 122MHz to get 976. This is where the motherboard comes in.
The best availble motherboard for overclockers right now is the Asus CUSL2-C. Few people dissagree with that fact. It uses the 815E/815EP chipset, and support sytem bus speeds over 200MHz!
The tricky thing is this-PCI/AGP dividers. At both 100MHz FSB and 133MHZ FSB the PCI/AGP frequencies are stock. This is because the dividers switch from 1/3 and 2/3 to 1/4 and 1/2 when the 133MHz bus speed is reached. So anything BETWEEN 100 and 133 overclocks both PCI and AGP. And anything OVER 133 does the same. At 132MHz, the PCI bus is 44MHz, which cause some cards not to work. But at 133, the divider switches and PCI bus is back to 33MHz.
We know that the faster we run the system/memory bus the better the computer performs. So using a 700 is preferable to using the 800 at the same speed because the system bus will be running faster. Even at the stock 133MHz system bus, the 700 is running at 933. The 800 at a similar speed (936) would only have a 117MHz system bus. So your memory would run much slower and your PCI bus much faster-not a good deal.
Since the 700 will overclock as far as the 800, but at a higher bus speed, it is proeferable. But MOST PIII's have a dificult time achieving 1000MHz. If that were not the case, the 750 would be the best choice. But since it is, get the 700!

Suicide is painless...........