[SOLVED] New case but very confused about whether I can use it fully

Sep 17, 2020
Hello guys,

I'm pretty new to PC building so I'm still learning about all the different components and compatibility of them. With that being said, I recently purchased a new case but failed to think about whether or not I have the necessary hardware on my motherboard to accommodate the front panel I/O. I purchased the new Corsair 4000D Airflow case that has a USB Type-A, USB Type-C, and a combined headset jack (mic and audio). I currently have a GIGABYTE B450M DS3H which doesn't have a USB 3.2 Gen 2 2x2 header on the MOBO so I cannot connect my front panel USB Type-C. I have also noticed that PC Part Picker website says the Corsair 4000D uses USB 3.2 Gen 1 for the USB Type-A on the front panel which I think my MOBO doesn't support. The Corsair site says that the front panel USB Type-A is 3.0 though. Thus I am very confused and don't know what to believe now. So I guess here are my main questions that I need some help on.

1. Will I be able to use the USB Type-A for this case (Corsair 4000D Airflow) by connecting the cable to my current mother board (GIGABYTE B450M DS3H) without having any issues such as USB power, data transfer, etc.

2. What options do I have when it comes being able to use my USB Type-C front panel I/O? Do I have to buy a new motherboard that has the necessary header or would it be best to buy some kind of PCIe expansion card for this capability? If I can just leave the cable unplugged (non-functional) for now and not experience any issue with the rest of the system I am fine with that as well until I get a new motherboard with the supported hardware.

I would prefer to not to return the case so I guess the worst scenario is that I cant use USB Type-C on the front panel which I'm okay with for now. I just need at least the USB Type-A, Headset Jack, Reset switch, and power button to work currently with my MOBO. I have some links below which have conflicting information so I need some expert opinion. Let me know your thoughts and whether or not I'm missing anything to think about.

LINKS TO THE COMPONENTS MENTIONED ABOVE:
Corsair 4000D from Official Corsair Website
Corsair 4000D from PC Part Picker
Gigabyte B450M DS3H Mobo

Solution
1- it's ok use it the pc part picker is wrong on this one
2-if you really need that type c then you need to change the mobo if not don't use the PCIe expansion card most of the time it does not work you can just leave the cable unplugged it's ok

mahmoud2244

Commendable
Jun 16, 2020
1- it's ok use it the pc part picker is wrong on this one
2-if you really need that type c then you need to change the mobo if not don't use the PCIe expansion card most of the time it does not work you can just leave the cable unplugged it's ok

Solution