[SOLVED] NEW case suggestions please - rx7900xtx cooking

freercurse

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2016
Hi there,

I recently changed my graphics card in my corsaird carbide 100D,
i have a 120mm AIO on my ryzen 5600x, 1 120mm fan as intake and using the rad as exhaust, its bad i know, but i thought i could get away with it, and i did with my gtx 1070.

my new rx 7900 xtx is not so forgiving cooking my entire case, air flow is just too poor. cpu hitting 90s quite easily with and AIO very hot

so i have to options move my rad and get a better exhaust or get a new case. my case is getting quite old its been a few years so is probably due an upgrade.

current considerations are a aformentions 120 mm rad aio
asus prime x570 pro
rx 7900 xtx
2 3.5 HDD raid 0
1 3.5 SSD
Cooler Master V1300 Platinum 80 PLUS Rated 1300W PSU

not too fussed about front IO but saturating the usb 3.0 would be nice, and i do have a planned upgrade in the future to AM5, but a new monitors comes first.

NZXT-H710 is my thoughts , any help is appreciated

Last edited:
Reactions: Why_Me
Solution
i have a 120mm AIO on my ryzen 5600x, 1 120mm fan as intake and using the rad as exhaust, its bad i know
120mm AIO/CLCs should NOT be used as exhaust, but intake, precisely because of their low thermal capacity(compared to larger coolers).
They have to cope with heat energy from everything in front of it - not just the cpu it's on - and there's no cooler room air getting to it back there, in part due to users taking any out before it gets there(top exhaust case fans).
The new gpu with potentially ~2.5 times higher power consumption than the previous, didn't help here.

Get a case with a front mesh panel that'll allow you to mount the radiator at the front, or it'll easily get warm again.
The H710 isn't it, chief; these coolers...

Lutfij

Titan
Happy New Year!

i have a 120mm AIO on my ryzen 5600x,
What is the make and model of the 120mm AIO? That's the root of your problems, you'd be best served with a 240mm AIO at the very least or a mid-high end air cooler.

NZXT H710
Up until now, all cases NZXT have in the past 5 years lack any proper intake for the innards in their chassis'. Yes they look sleek but due to that aesthetics over function move, they're the root cause of all thermal issues.

Can you gain access to Fractal's range of cases? You might want to state where you're located, what your preferred site for purchase is and your budget for the case purchase.

You will find many sites that actually test the cooling of cases. It does not seem there is a actual "best" since there are other factors like say what video cards and radiators will fit.

All though look nothing like the one you have or are looking at. Key is lots of area for air to get in and out of the case. Yours has metal panels with basically thin slots for the air to pass through. Even the h710 you are looking at has a similar design/look.
All the recommended cases pretty much are some kind of mesh front and top.

The thing you can do temporary while you look for a case is to just remove the side panel. The video card dumps a lot of the air out the top which should send it right out the side of the case for now.

freercurse

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2016
Happy New Year!

i have a 120mm AIO on my ryzen 5600x,
What is the make and model of the 120mm AIO? That's the root of your problems, you'd be best served with a 240mm AIO at the very least or a mid-high end air cooler.

NZXT H710
Up until now, all cases NZXT have in the past 5 years lack any proper intake for the innards in their chassis'. Yes they look sleek but due to that aesthetics over function move, they're the root cause of all thermal issues.

Can you gain access to Fractal's range of cases? You might want to state where you're located, what your preferred site for purchase is and your budget for the case purchase.

Hi im currently running a Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML120L V2.
Im in the UK so yes i can get fractal cases. OCUK and ebuyer are my usual go to's

im hoping to spend around £100 maybe some more, if the value is there.

Last edited:
Reactions: Why_Me
Hi im currently running a Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML120L V2.
Im in the UK so yes i can get fractal cases. OCUK and ebuyer are my usual go to's

im hoping to spend around £100 maybe some more, if the value is there.
These cases hit the US about three weeks ago so they should be arriving in the UK any day now.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/?query=lian%20li%20lancool%20216 <-- pre order

https://lian-li.com/product/lancool-216/

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/lian-li-lancool-216-review

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykbhuv6yLBc&t=512s

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
i have a 120mm AIO on my ryzen 5600x, 1 120mm fan as intake and using the rad as exhaust, its bad i know
120mm AIO/CLCs should NOT be used as exhaust, but intake, precisely because of their low thermal capacity(compared to larger coolers).
They have to cope with heat energy from everything in front of it - not just the cpu it's on - and there's no cooler room air getting to it back there, in part due to users taking any out before it gets there(top exhaust case fans).
The new gpu with potentially ~2.5 times higher power consumption than the previous, didn't help here.

Get a case with a front mesh panel that'll allow you to mount the radiator at the front, or it'll easily get warm again.
The H710 isn't it, chief; these coolers do best when installed against mesh panels/grilles.
The H7 Flow - if you want to stick with that style - on the other hand, sure.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS