New Community Trophy Contest

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TripleHeinz

Reputable
Aug 29, 2014
Trophy: Oopsie
Description: Delete a post within 5 minutes after creating it.
Icon: A roll of toilette paper (like expressing you are cleaning your...posts). Alternative: Outlines/Sillouette of a broken glass pattern (like expressing you commited an accident).
Notes: This is easily and programatically able to do because the forum registers the post's timestamp.

Seriously, I hope somebody among you actually puts some thought into some of these suggestions. I'm quite sure there are some really good ideas possible for new trophies but currently mostly all I'm seeing are nonsensical or unrealistic suggestions. I know some of you guys can do better than that. Keep in mind that this is a tech, and primarily computer focused forum, and take a look at what trophies already exist by clicking the link Colif posted above, and see what seems to be missing that you would ACTUALLY like to see included, or that just plain SHOULD be included because it's the elephant in the room in absentia.

Reactions: Jsimenhoff
Seriously, I hope somebody among you actually puts some thought into some of these suggestions. I'm quite sure there are some really good ideas possible for new trophies but currently mostly all I'm seeing are nonsensical or unrealistic suggestions. I know some of you guys can do better than that. Keep in mind that this is a tech, and primarily computer focused forum, and take a look at what trophies already exist by clicking the link Colif posted above, and see what seems to be missing that you would ACTUALLY like to see included, or that just plain SHOULD be included because it's the elephant in the room in absentia.
It's hard to make things up when you are put on the spot... o_O

boju

Titan
Ambassador
We have two categories, components and systems. After years of seeing what both categories often entail they both could be branched and replaced with individual categories creating new trophy achievements.

Psu's was a good one by Darkbreeze

Think system builders category deserves a place.

Rgb section also.

Possibly for keyboard and mouse/mouse pads specifically. Seeing esports is popular why not?

Helping those think of ideas, including myself.

I suggested an RGB category already Boju. In five years, I probably haven't seen fifty threads for keyboard and mouse that weren't specifically related to gaming, and so those questions are probably best answered from within that category or systems. Maybe create a more defined, but still catch all category for peripherals, called peripherals, to include keyboard, mouse, printers, etc., that is nested under the components category. Or not nested. I don't particularly like the components category anyhow, since CPUs, graphics cards, cases, memory and power supplies ARE all components, but need their own categories. I think peripherals or something like it to catch a few items that don't fall well into other categories but don't have a lot of threads dedicated to them might be good.

A category specifically for "builds", as in, "Suggested builds" or "builder's guild" where all of the "please give me a PCPP build that meets my criteria", which is a high amount of total forum threads, can be housed, would be a good idea.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
how about something for commenting specifically on news articles. not sure exactly the names of levels but maybe....

news hound, 100 article comments
commentator, 500 article comments
talk show host, 1000 article comments

i'm sure someone can do better for the actual names, i have a theme in my head but can't put it into words right now. something to do with bloggers and talking heads that spend their time commenting on others in the news while doing nothing original themselves. something to that effect anyway

Feb 21, 2019
An overall trophy combining all best-answers in hardware to form a 'Computer Genius' trophy.
(cause y'know, all those form a computer, amirite? Heh..he.. okay...)

Jan 20, 2019
The "Loose Screw" Trophy
Users must answer at least 10 assembly/disassembly/reassembly questions
giphy.gif

Jan 20, 2019
Force of Nature
Users must successfully produce 30 useful answers to 30 different questions within a month.
KHZH.gif

Feb 22, 2019
EVGA RTX 2080 Ti King Pin Edition as a trophy. User may be able to get if his reply to a thread was rated as the most useful one/the best one on 1000 threads.

I have any idea not so much for a new trophy, but that would apply to ALL trophies, as they are earned; although this could also spawn a new trophy, for "Swag." Appearance would be one of those plastic "convention" bags, with an increasing number of lumps visible in it.
"Member:" earn any two trophies; Community will send you a case badge, decal, or similar swag item (member chooses ONE).
"Sustaining Member:" earn any five trophies. Selection of swag includes a keychain, pen, 8GB thumbdrive (member chooses ONE, or two of lesser category)
"Beacon Member:" earn any ten trophies. Selection includes a Tom's Hammer, cap, or flashlight (member chooses ONE, or two of lesser categories)
"Patron Member: " earn any twenty trophies. Receive a polo shirt, sweatshirt, or two items from lesser categories.

This idea probably needs some fleshing-out, such as how to count trophies in a procession, or if total points rather than trophies should be used. Perhaps should award "swag points," which can be redeemed from a list.

Jacob_198

Prominent
Jun 3, 2017
Tech Genius
Have the best answer to a question in 5 different categories (GPU,CPU, Memory, etc.)
Icon: Black Glasses with an eyebrow raised.

Master Builder
Build 3 different PC's with different specs.
Icon: Hammer and Anvil.

s1mon7

Reputable
Oct 3, 2018
I think an elephant in the room is that there's no trophy for liking other people's posts. A "spread the love" trophy (or series of trophies) for liking posts in X amounts of thread (so people don't just spam like every post in a single thread) would be nice. For instance "liked posts in 100 threads".
That's a very positive trophy, since there's a lot of hate sometimes, but people aren't liking posts anywhere as much, making others feel like their opinion isn't appreciated or isn't good while it really is - just nobody has much to add to it or comment.
I have no idea if someone posted this before and I don't care - it's just a good idea.

Reactions: R0GG

Colif

Win 11 Master
I have any idea not so much for a new trophy, but that would apply to ALL trophies, as they are earned; although this could also spawn a new trophy, for "Swag." Appearance would be one of those plastic "convention" bags, with an increasing number of lumps visible in it.
"Member:" earn any two trophies; Community will send you a case badge, decal, or similar swag item (member chooses ONE).
"Sustaining Member:" earn any five trophies. Selection of swag includes a keychain, pen, 8GB thumbdrive (member chooses ONE, or two of lesser category)
"Beacon Member:" earn any ten trophies. Selection includes a Tom's Hammer, cap, or flashlight (member chooses ONE, or two of lesser categories)
"Patron Member: " earn any twenty trophies. Receive a polo shirt, sweatshirt, or two items from lesser categories.

This idea probably needs some fleshing-out, such as how to count trophies in a procession, or if total points rather than trophies should be used. Perhaps should award "swag points," which can be redeemed from a list.

Onus just trying to save on Xmas presents :D

Points are final form, badgers and BA all get converted into TP so perhaps total would be best idea.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
another thought i had was a trophy to award participating in discussions. lots of trophies for being helpful but how about a more relaxed theme for enjoying a fun discussion. maybe something like:

icebreaker
2 cents worth
life of the party

probably some middle levels could be added but that's all i got for the moment.

There is already a trophy for number of comments in conversations. It's called Discourse.

The idea of a trophy for liking posts, while I can see your point, is not well thought out. EVERYBODY would have a master achievement in that category within days because they'd simply go around liking everybody's posts, even if they were not worthy of a like. There would be no way to police the placing of likes on unworthy posts, so in essence it's a worthless metric for determining "the love" in any meaningful way.

Reactions: Banned by Net
Status
Not open for further replies.