Question new computer build

Jul 6, 2018
Hey guys I was thinking of building a new computer centered around a 1080 ti and amd cpu I would just like to know some recommended parts to get and which kind to get. There is no real budget right now as I'll be buying everything in parts. ultimately what I want is to be able to run modern games at ultra at 1080p or lower in 4k. thanks

Hey guys I was thinking of building a new computer centered around a 1080 ti and amd cpu I would just like to know some recommended parts to get and which kind to get. There is no real budget right now as I'll be buying everything in parts. ultimately what I want is to be able to run modern games at ultra at 1080p or lower in 4k. thanks

Well if you are looking for good value then the Ryzen 5 2600X is a good start. That said, AMD have just announced the new 3000 series CPU's which are quite a bit faster- they come out on the 7th of July so might be worth waiting until then...

Reactions: jjamesbondperez
Jul 6, 2018
Well if you are looking for good value then the Ryzen 5 2600X is a good start. That said, AMD have just announced the new 3000 series CPU's which are quite a bit faster- they come out on the 7th of July so might be worth waiting until then...
Yeah I will be getting everything in parts I don't think I will be done before the year is done. I just wanted to know like a recommended build because I'm rather new to this stuff. stuff like motherboard to get and everything. or will they come with a different motherboard you need to use? and thank you for the suggestion

Yeah I will be getting everything in parts I don't think I will be done before the year is done. I just wanted to know like a recommended build because I'm rather new to this stuff. stuff like motherboard to get and everything. or will they come with a different motherboard you need to use? and thank you for the suggestion

Well AMD are pretty good on motherboards- so you could get a good AM4 motherboard now and it should work with the upcoming 3000 series processors (just make sure it's listed as compatible from the web store when you get the board, many of the older boards will need an update installing to make it work, which is a problem if you don't have an older cpu on hand to get it started up in the first place).

An AMD X470 board would be a good option, or you could look at a new X570 which is also just about to come out (those are designed for the new cpu's so will definitely work, again though you will have to wait a bit).

Processor wise, if you want a decent all rounder the upcoming Ryzen 5 3600 looks like it should be a good choice (the 2600 / 2600X are already good and the new version should be faster all round and AMD has listed MSRP at $199).

I'd recommend investing in a good quality power supply. It doesn't have to have massive wattage (a good 600W unit should handle all of this easily), but you want a supply with good quality components and protections included. Toms do a nice guide on this:
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-psus,4229.html

You also want fast storage, so look for an NVME SSD for the primary drive (these are very fast and used to cost a large premium but aren't too bad these days) and maybe a large Sata SSD for additional storage if you need it.

Edit: Almost forgot, memory: it's a good idea to get fast memory to go with Ryzen. The new Ryzen 3000 parts support DDR4 3200 out of the box so that is the minimum speed I would look at. 16gb is generally enough for most things so a good 2 x 8gb set would be a good starting point- if you get a motherboard with 4 memory slots you can easily add another couple of modules in the future if needed.

Reactions: jjamesbondperez
Jul 6, 2018
Well AMD are pretty good on motherboards- so you could get a good AM4 motherboard now and it should work with the upcoming 3000 series processors (just make sure it's listed as compatible from the web store when you get the board, many of the older boards will need an update installing to make it work, which is a problem if you don't have an older cpu on hand to get it started up in the first place).

An AMD X470 board would be a good option, or you could look at a new X570 which is also just about to come out (those are designed for the new cpu's so will definitely work, again though you will have to wait a bit).

Processor wise, if you want a decent all rounder the upcoming Ryzen 5 3600 looks like it should be a good choice (the 2600 / 2600X are already good and the new version should be faster all round and AMD has listed MSRP at $199).

I'd recommend investing in a good quality power supply. It doesn't have to have massive wattage (a good 600W unit should handle all of this easily), but you want a supply with good quality components and protections included. Toms do a nice guide on this:
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-psus,4229.html

You also want fast storage, so look for an NVME SSD for the primary drive (these are very fast and used to cost a large premium but aren't too bad these days) and maybe a large Sata SSD for additional storage if you need it.

Edit: Almost forgot, memory: it's a good idea to get fast memory to go with Ryzen. The new Ryzen 3000 parts support DDR4 3200 out of the box so that is the minimum speed I would look at. 16gb is generally enough for most things so a good 2 x 8gb set would be a good starting point- if you get a motherboard with 4 memory slots you can easily add another couple of modules in the future if needed.
Thank you so much! I think I will wait for those main parts to come out and get my RAM first do you think that this RAM would work for me? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GL6CLT...olid=3ME787YN686CT&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Jul 6, 2018
sorry for taking so long to reply. and would it work on the ASRock X570 Taichi?
Also for NVME ssd would one of these work and if so which one is better
https://www.amazon.com/Crucial-MX50...21011&rnid=6797515011&s=pc&sr=1-1-spons&psc=1
and
https://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-Rock...21011&rnid=6797515011&s=pc&sr=1-2-spons&psc=1
sorry I'm rather new to this stuff. so I would also like to know if it would work with that new motherboard and how exactly they slot in.

Buying in parts over time may not be the best idea, what if something does not work and you are outside of the return window? Then you need to go through the warranty support instead of the Amazon return process which is usually a lot easier. Plus if you wait you will end up with newer parts being released which can be a better value.

Instead of buying parts a bit at a time, just put away the money and buy the thing in one order.