William-Tech

Reputable
Mar 5, 2017
Hey, so I am building a new computer for my mother to replace her old laptop. I believe I have done everything correctly and when I plug it in, the LED power light to the case is on but the PC itself will not turn on. I have checked the motherboard and case manual to check the diagrams for the front panel headers and I'm pretty sure it's all plugged in correctly... I'll attach pictures of the build, the manuals, and links to the parts I'm using. Any guidance for this issue would be greatly appreciated, thanks. (Note this PC does not have a GPU)
PSU
Chasi
Ram
CPU
CPU Cooler
Fans
M.2
MOBO

[Photos]

Solution
The chassi and motherboard are Mini-ITX so there are only 4 mounting points. I can't find anything about standoffs within the manual, they seem to be built in.

Here is a picture of the built in standoffs... Photo

Removing the ram sticks or the M.2 doesn't change anything... The PSU wouldn't be dead because the LED light for power is on so current is running through the motherboard (Atleast I believe)

I also tried taking everything out of the case--still nothing.

A few years ago I built my personal and current computer inside a different Mini-ITX case. It would be a really big hassle and risk to take out the CPU from this one and test it because everything is jam packed into this case and I'd rather not mess with it. (The...
Hey, so I am building a new computer for my mother to replace her old laptop. I believe I have done everything correctly and when I plug it in, the LED power light to the case is on but the PC itself will not turn on. I have checked the motherboard and case manual to check the diagrams for the front panel headers and I'm pretty sure it's all plugged in correctly... I'll attach pictures of the build, the manuals, and links to the parts I'm using. Any guidance for this issue would be greatly appreciated, thanks. (Note this PC does not have a GPU)
PSU
Chasi
Ram
CPU
CPU Cooler
Fans
M.2
MOBO

[Photos]
Are you sure that:
  1. the risers below the motherboard have been placed
  2. the 24 pin power connector is fully pushed (that can take some force)
  3. the 8 pin power connector for the CPU pushed
  4. the CPU-FAN connector correctly placed (the electric connector for the CPU fan cooler)
  5. this is a modular PSU. Are you sure that the cables are in the correct connector on the PSU side

William-Tech

Reputable
Mar 5, 2017
Are you sure that:
  1. the risers below the motherboard have been placed
  2. the 24 pin power connector is fully pushed (that can take some force)
  3. the 8 pin power connector for the CPU pushed
  4. the CPU-FAN connector correctly placed (the electric connector for the CPU fan cooler)
  5. this is a modular PSU. Are you sure that the cables are in the correct connector on the PSU side
Everything is fully pushed in... I don't have anything plugged into "perif" or "vga" on the PSU since I'm using modern fans and no GPU. The chassi didn't come with risers and it seems like they are built in. I'll link some pictures of the manual which doesn't show any steps involving risers. One of the 4 screw holes is unable to secure a screw which is why I don't have one in there. (The PC still won't turn on even if I just drop a screw in there)

I'm pretty confident in my part-picking skills but if someone with more experience could look through all the parts I linked and confirm that they are alright that would be great, thanks!

Photos

Everything is fully pushed in... I don't have anything plugged into "perif" or "vga" on the PSU since I'm using modern fans and no GPU. The chassi didn't come with risers and it seems like they are built in. I'll link some pictures of the manual which doesn't show any steps involving risers. One of the 4 screw holes is unable to secure a screw which is why I don't have one in there. (The PC still won't turn on even if I just drop a screw in there)

I'm pretty confident in my part-picking skills but if someone with more experience could look through all the parts I linked and confirm that they are alright that would be great, thanks!

Photos
I looked in the manual for your chasi. And there is an accessory box containing various things and there are 7 motherboard standoffs . These are the 'risers'. Did you put them Under the motherboard in the holes of the case ? If not, there is your problem, you have a short. If yes, it is Time to take everything out and try to boot outside the chasi, anyway.
One thing you could try is to take out the RAM sticks. If no change that rules out these sticks. Same thing with the SSD.
Remains the PSU, motherboard, CPU in that order of frequency.
Or a problem with your building: I still bet for that category, these are all high quality components and are compatible.
Next thing would be test with another PSU

Last edited:

William-Tech

Reputable
Mar 5, 2017
I looked in the manual for your chasi. And there is an accessory box containing various things and there are 7 motherboard standoffs . These are the 'risers'. Did you put them Under the motherboard in the holes of the case ? If not, there is your problem, you have a short. If yes, it is Time to take everything out and try to boot outside the chasi, anyway.
One thing you could try is to take out the RAM sticks. If no change that rules out these sticks. Same thing with the SSD.
Remains the PSU, motherboard, CPU in that order of frequency.
Or a problem with your building: I still bet for that category, these are all high quality components and are compatible.
Next thing would be test with another PSU
The chassi and motherboard are Mini-ITX so there are only 4 mounting points. I can't find anything about standoffs within the manual, they seem to be built in.

Removing the ram sticks or the M.2 doesn't change anything... The PSU wouldn't be dead because the LED light for power is on so current is running through the motherboard (Atleast I believe)

A few years ago I built my personal and current computer inside a different Mini-ITX case. It would be a really big hassle and risk to take out the CPU from this one and test it because everything is jam packed into this case and I'd rather not mess with it. (The GPU is actually too big for the case and if I try to take it out and then fit it inside again it could damage some hardware)

If that is my only option left then I guess it is possible because the CPU is LGA1151, BUT, I'm not sure if this newer motherboard will support this older gen CPU. (I believe it is an i5 6600k)

A few years ago I built my personal and current computer inside a different Mini-ITX case. It would be a really big hassle and risk to take out the CPU from this one and test it because everything is jam packed into this case and I'd rather not mess with it. (The GPU is actually too big for the case and if I try to take it out and then fit it inside again it could damage some hardware)

If that is my only option left then I guess it is possible because the CPU is LGA1151, BUT, I'm not sure if this newer motherboard will support this older gen CPU. (I believe it is an i5 6600k)
Several points:
  1. The photo appears to show build-in standoffs
  2. The i5-6600k is NOT compatible with your new motherboard. Although is uses also LGA1151, it is of a completely different generation with different electric connection
  3. The fact that the light goes on means nothing. In the PSU there are different rails for different voltages (12, 5, and 3.3 volts). The main is 12 volts and could be damaged with the other functioning correctly.
  4. Don't mess with the GPU it is no needed
  5. You have a simple system. At this point it is either the PSU, the motherboard, or the CPU in that order of frequency
  6. When you said that you took everything out of the case, you really mean that you took the motherboard completely out the case, put it on a carton, and try to boot by touching the two pins where you connect the Start button on th mobo with a small screwdriver. This is equivalent of pushing the button (it just closes the circuit). Only touch for 1 or 2 sec and than release.
  7. If all this fails to start the PC, you need to use another PSU for testing

Last edited:
Solution

William-Tech

Reputable
Mar 5, 2017
Several points:
  1. The photo appears to show build-in standoffs
  2. The i5-6600k is NOT compatible with your new motherboard. Although is uses also LGA1151, it is of a completely different generation with different electric connection
  3. The fact that the light goes on means nothing. In the PSU there are different rails for different voltages (12, 5, and 3.3 volts). The main is 12 volts and could be damaged with the other functioning correctly.
  4. Don't mess with the GPU it is no needed
  5. You have a simple system. At this point it is either the PSU, the motherboard, or the CPU in that order of frequency
  6. When you said that you took everything out of the case, you really mean that you took the motherboard completely out the case, put it on a carton, and try to boot by touching the two pins where you connect the Start button on th mobo with a small screwdriver. This is equivalent of pushing the button (it just closes the circuit). Only touch for 1 or 2 sec and than release.
  7. If all this fails to start the PC, you need to use another PSU for testing
Okay so I ended up taking apart my entire PC and testing the PSUs with each motherboard (since all the other components are not compatible) what I noticed was the front panel headers were in a slightly different spot on my personal motherboard. I then looked at the new one and noticed they were in the same spot. I took a screw driver and connected the pins and it turned on! There were two spots that had the same identical 4 pins with 5 pins behind it... Both had some tiny "LED/Power" labels too--very confusing. In the future I now know to look for multiple spots where the front panel headers could be. I put the whole thing together then and did some cable management. The computer is all setup with Windows 10 and my mother loves the new setup!

I was also able to fix some things in my own PC like use a smaller CPU cooler that fits in the case (My previous one stuck out and I replaced it with the one that came with the new CPU) I also discovered the reason one of my fans wasn't spinning is because it seems to have some sort of gunk making it not spin well so I'll just buy a new one. Thanks for all your help, I really appreciate it!