Question New cpu high temperature with thermal paste..

Seacatyew

Reputable
Nov 24, 2015
I just bought a new cpu 2 days ago and it has a very high cpu temp whenever I open games like league for example (should stay at 50c)
The cpu is an i7-9700k and today I bought some thermal paste and thought it would help the temp go down whenever I play stuff and at first it was around 40c whenever I open the pc, I opened league it it rised to around 85-100c.. idk why this is
My cooler is an cooler master tx3 evo and idk if it's enough to cool down the cpu but with thermal paste I ought to see somewhat a difference in heat but I don't :/

Ralston18

Titan
What brand thermal paste did you purchase and how did you apply it?

Poor quality, too much, too little, etc..

As for the cooler "being enough" you need to check the specs: both what is required by the CPU and what the cooler can provide.

And the overall system matters: hardware specs and OS? Airflows, faulty fan, could be some other issue entirely.

Overclocking?

Update your post to include full system hardware specs including PSU.

Do some careful testing starting with low, less intense gaming and work upwards. You may discover some threshold load that triggers the high temperatures.

Seacatyew

Reputable
Nov 24, 2015
What brand thermal paste did you purchase and how did you apply it?

Poor quality, too much, too little, etc..

As for the cooler "being enough" you need to check the specs: both what is required by the CPU and what the cooler can provide.

And the overall system matters: hardware specs and OS? Airflows, faulty fan, could be some other issue entirely.

Overclocking?

Update your post to include full system hardware specs including PSU.

Do some careful testing starting with low, less intense gaming and work upwards. You may discover some threshold load that triggers the high temperatures.
I googled and it says that it's made to support i7 extreme processors like this one. I bought the corsair tm30 thermal paste ^^
For my specs; Win10 64 bit pro 16gb ram gtx 1060 6gb pascal i7 9700k cpu (previously had an i3-8350k which worked perfectly fine with the cooler and no temp issues what so ever. Idk if this is overclocked by default or how I can check it, but when I play a game for example the voltage goes up to 1340 and that is when it raises temp, if it stays at 1300 or so it's perfectly fine temp (around 75)

Seacatyew

Reputable
Nov 24, 2015
@Ralston18 this can't be right, I literally only have youtube up and it's at so high temp..
gWlOwMq.jpg

Ralston18

Titan
Motherboard and PSU specs?

My thought is that one or both may not be up to the task.

Post as much information as you can.

What other games cause the overheating? Are there any games that do not cause overheating.

"Components" is a good category but "PC Gaming" may solicit more specific ideas....

May move this thread accordingly.

Seacatyew

Reputable
Nov 24, 2015
Motherboard and PSU specs?

My thought is that one or both may not be up to the task.

Post as much information as you can.

What other games cause the overheating? Are there any games that do not cause overheating.

"Components" is a good category but "PC Gaming" may solicit more specific ideas....

May move this thread accordingly.
Fractal Design Integra M 450W psu and a msi 360m gaming plus motherboard both are only about 8 months old
And for games, League of legends (85-95c) and syndicate is around 85-90c

Ralston18

Titan
I am leaning towards a power related problem.

Try adding up the wattage requirements of all installed components and add 25%.

How close (either way) is that total to 450?

Even if only 8 months old the PSU may not have been up to the task. Or if it has been pushed it may be degrading and no longer up to the task.

Will move this thread to PC Gaming in hopes of additional insight and suggestion via the Gaming folks.

Ralston18

Titan
No disagreement.

Right on the line and I would think that a from "scratch" matching build would start with a much higher wattage PSU.

Try another two or three similar calculators to look for a concensus.

And if the PSU has degraded it may not even be providing full rated wattage.

My thought would be a new PSU, 600 watts minimum. Known brand with good ratings/reviews.

Good starting point:

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-psus,4229.html

Hopefully someone else following this thread will provide additional comment or ideas. I have no problem with that.

Seacatyew

Reputable
Nov 24, 2015
No disagreement.

Right on the line and I would think that a from "scratch" matching build would start with a much higher wattage PSU.

Try another two or three similar calculators to look for a concensus.

And if the PSU has degraded it may not even be providing full rated wattage.

My thought would be a new PSU, 600 watts minimum. Known brand with good ratings/reviews.

Good starting point:

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-psus,4229.html

Hopefully someone else following this thread will provide additional comment or ideas. I have no problem with that.
I just wanted to say that I went to sweclockers and asked them in swedish and someone said something about push pins coolers and I was like no way that it has to be fully mounted with all pins, i tried it and now my temp is 40c and 35c idle. I'm so happy rn! ;D thanks for ur help too

Dugimodo

Distinguished
Too late to be helpful now that you've fixed it but the cooler mounting is always the first place to start when temps seem too high, followed by heat sink paste application.\
It can be a bit daunting how much pressure some coolers need to mount properly but you should always follow manufacturer instructions on how to mount them.
Push pins are terrible, so easy to get wrong and can look like they are engaged properly when they aren't.

Under normal operation the PSU will not effect CPU temperatures, it would have to be supplying the wrong voltages to do so and seems like a complete red herring in this thread.