jedirene

Prominent
Jun 25, 2020
Hello. I badly need help. Yesterday, I bought a new WD My Passport 2TB External Hard Drive. I went home without checking if it works from the store. When I tried using at home, it loads very slowly, and my Windows 10 can only read it as a 'Local Disk' drive. I tired plugging it in on my Windows 7 laptop too but no changes. I have tried chkdsk several times with my Win10, but it won't work.

I went back to the store today, replacing it with a new unit after checking by the staff. This time, before I left the store, I checked the external hard drive with my own Windows 7 laptop, and the Windows 10 laptop available at the store. It works perfectly fine. When I got home, I plugged it in excitedly on my WIndows 10 PC, but after a few minutes, it transferred files very slowly, so I unplugged and plugged it in again. Now it can only be read as 'Local Disk' too. Take note that this is a completely brand new WD My Passport External Hard Drive. I have tried things I've read from the internet but sadly, nothing works.

I hope you can help me. I can't even do anything with it, except using CMD. It kills my windows explorer, even if I just right click on it.

Solution
I'm thinking that you're unplugging the drive while it was busy was the issue. Always cancel and wait for the drive to finish before unplugging it. Additionally I suggest using the Eject feature on your USB status down in the system tray or from the rt click (on the drive) menu on in explorer... These are mechanical devices and the heads need to have power to park themselves into a safe area so they don't get damaged by hitting the spinning platters.

if you cannot initialize the drive in Disk Management then I suspect it's damaged.

I have returned the unit to the store. It turns out that it was a new model of My Passport, and it was the first release. Both units are faulty and I will not recommend buying it. Please don’t buy...

jedirene

Prominent
Jun 25, 2020
And how is it working on the Win7 laptop now?
It may be damaged from being unplugged while it was writing to the platters.

I have tried plugging it in on my Windows 7 this morning. And it shows up as Local Disk and keeps on loading like it did on my Windows 10. The External HDD that I have replaced has the same issue. I'm thinking my Windows 10 is the issue?

popatim

Titan
I'm thinking that you're unplugging the drive while it was busy was the issue. Always cancel and wait for the drive to finish before unplugging it. Additionally I suggest using the Eject feature on your USB status down in the system tray or from the rt click (on the drive) menu on in explorer... These are mechanical devices and the heads need to have power to park themselves into a safe area so they don't get damaged by hitting the spinning platters.

if you cannot initialize the drive in Disk Management then I suspect it's damaged.

jedirene

Prominent
Jun 25, 2020

I have returned the unit to the store. It turns out that it was a new model of My Passport, and it was the first release. Both units are faulty and I will not recommend buying it. Please don’t buy it. The WD My Passport Ultra Slim.

I have replaced the WD unit with a Seagate, and it works fine. Problem solved!

Solution