lucidrainbow

Honorable
Sep 15, 2012
Hello all! I have a budget of MAX $680. I was looking to build a gaming PC, and I would like to know if either of these builds provide a good value. I am a bit of a stranger to overclocking, but the Intel K series processors are generally recommended. I also wanted to fit in a HD7870, while not having a too-cheap case. I would like to know if these builds are decent enough for the price. I'll be doing some gaming(LoL, SC2, BF3), light video editing and 3d modeling(Maya, Premiere Pro). I already have a copy of Windows 7.
thank you!

Build 1- Supports OC, 2GB VRAM
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/lXYA

Build 2- No OC, better case, 1GB VRAM, about 40 bucks cheaper
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/lJrv

Solution
OC'ing does nothing to the lifespan of the CPU if done correctly and the temps are monitored. There are people on these forums that have OC'ed CPU's for years, running 24/7. I'm obviously not one of them with my locked i3 lol. I do however run my Radeon 6850 overclocked whether I'm checking email or killing zombies in Left 4 Dead 2 for 6-16 hours a day.
Some. I noticed some difference in mine, but if I had to do it over again I probably would have bought one that didnt overclock to save money.

If you keep your computers for a long time (I intend to keep mine for another 3 years the way it is) it might be worth it and pay itself off, but if you are the kind of person who upgrades every time the new generation of technology comes out, its not really worth it.

dscudella

Honorable
Sep 10, 2012

I couldn't find any hard evidence or benchmarks using an i5 at stock & OC'ed speeds. The consensus was 2-5fps from the stock 3.4ghz to OC'ing. It's hard to say exactly how much of a performance gain you'll get because OC'ing isn't a sure thing. You might be able to reach 4.6ghz on air, maybe only 4.2ghz.

lucidrainbow

Honorable
Sep 15, 2012
Eh, I'm not so sure about OC'ing then. It decreases processor lifespan, and I really don't want to go through that much trouble for 5FPS or an extra Gigahertz.
Besides, I'm upgrading from a Core 2 Duo. Any speed would be an upgrade for me, haha.
Would there be any better builds for this same price range?

dscudella

Honorable
Sep 10, 2012
OC'ing does nothing to the lifespan of the CPU if done correctly and the temps are monitored. There are people on these forums that have OC'ed CPU's for years, running 24/7. I'm obviously not one of them with my locked i3 lol. I do however run my Radeon 6850 overclocked whether I'm checking email or killing zombies in Left 4 Dead 2 for 6-16 hours a day.

Solution

lucidrainbow

Honorable
Sep 15, 2012
I see... But is it worth the price for a better heatsink/motherboard/CPU?

OC'ing graphics cards? How does the 6850 run? I was considering one before upping my budget to accommodate a better card...

dscudella

Honorable
Sep 10, 2012

The 6850 pairs nicely with my i3-2100. That's why I got it (plus it was cheap). That's also why it's OC'ed 24/7 (basically 6870 performance, not that much of a boost). Don't skimp on the graphics.

To effectively OC you'll need an aftermarket cooler (you already know this). The best bang for the buck is the CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Evo/+. There's a 1 degree difference between the two, get whatever is cheaper (usually $20-$30). Is that extra 2-5fps worth it? We can't answer that for you. Is it worth it to me? Yes.

The other thing to take into consideration when OC'ing is your case cooling. Having sufficient Intake / Outtake for your case is just as vital as the cooler on the CPU.

lucidrainbow

Honorable
Sep 15, 2012
Ahhh, understood. So I should probably OC my 7850 for 7870 performance... or wait until 2013 for Haswell and Sea Islands/GK110(too long). xD

How many case fans/what case do you use? I was considering a HAF922 or a Bitfenix Shinobi.

If overclocking is done correctly, then it should not decrease the life of the processor. The temps would also need to be monitored as well. My GPU (used to) run overclocked all the time, I just have to re-configure it, as I reinstalled Windows...again.

My processor runs at 4.4 all the time, and my temperatures barely ever break 60C when gaming. I leave my computer on for at least 12 hours per day and the idle temp is around 42C.

Given, my case is an Antec Sonata.

dscudella

Honorable
Sep 10, 2012

Exactly my point. You were agreeing with me right? Confused.