New Graghics card

mgame

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2003
I own a ASUS A7V333 MOBO. AGP 4x my current card is a G3 TI500 64Mg. Thinking of upgrading to a GFX or G4 Ti card. Personally I don't think I need an 8x card when I can't run that fast.

Requeirments for new card.

Can not be MX card.
Should be 4x will except 8x if I have to.
Must be 64Mg or more.
Will not buy freakin ATI.

Thanks

G

Captain Obvious would recommend the good old favorite, the Ti4200, but it wont be much faster than what you have!

The Captain Also recommends you avoid the FX5200, so you could get a FX5600 ultra funds permitting.

Captain Obvious questions your anti-ATI stance though! DirectX9 titles run better on the current ATI cards.

<b><font color=red>Captain Obvious To The Rescue!!!</font color=red></b>

RRAMJET

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2003
Keep your GF 3 Ti500 as i'm sure it cost you a packet and the only card that will realisticly outperform it in the current models is the 5800 and 5900. I dont think you would notice a great deal of difference with a 5600 or Ti4800 so wait till some newer games are released to see what is best for them....

If he doesn't die, he'll get help!!!

ufo_warviper

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2001
Will not buy freakin ATI.

If that's the case, then I'd just hang on to what you have now. At the moment nVidia doesn't have anything decent to offer except their old GeForce Ti line. Anything else nVidia is a waste of your money. Like I said, either hold out with what you have now, & upgrade later, or buy an ATi 9600 Pro card or better. I don't think it'll be too bad if you hold out, the GeForce 3 is still a pretty decent chip IMO.

My OS features preemptive multitasking, a fully interactive command line, & support for 640K of RAM!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You might as well get some kind of GeForce4 card because they don't support DX9. If you bought an FX series card you'd probably have to disable DX9 features individually in each game in order to have it play smoothly.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

mgame

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2003
Thanks for the reply. Mainly I won't get ATI again cause they have crappy tech support. I've also had numerous probs with their cards in the past and present on client computers with the cards not wanting to do anything over 16bit colors. Nvidia has been a piece of cake and technically speaking we gamers can't see a tenth of a nanosecond difference in our games.

Thanks Matt Neufeld

mgame

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2003
Thanks for the reply. I guess I should've added that also. I do need something that will do great with DX9. I have had loads of fun playing Tron 2.0 which uses DX9. ATI hasn't given myself and my clients computers probs where as Nvidia has had 1 problem what so ever.

Thanks,
Matt Neufeld

mgame

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2003
I play Tron 2.0 which does use DX9. I choose to use Nvidia cause ATI has just caused myself more headaches then playing games. Nvidia has not given any probs what so ever since I've been buying their products. I was looking at getting the FX 5600. Technically speaking we can't see a nanosec differnce in a game wether they use DX8 or 9.

Thanks,
Matt Neufeld

speeduk

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2003
Don't play hl2 (when it comes out) or the new tombraider game or the new flight sim game from microsoft or in fact 90% of DX9 games then and you will be fine with any geforce FX. If you do get one though and decide to play any of the previous mentioned games, or any new direct x 9 game that relies on pixel shader performance (most games), don't expect super framerates (compared to a 9800pro or similar) and don't use the latest nvidea drivers unless you want blurry or dark images.

Trust me ive seen a 5900 (non ultra) playing the new tomb raider game at snail pace with the normal det 40's and ok pace but slightly blurry and verryyyy dark with the new drivers. On my pc it plays super fast on my 9700pro and looks just as it should (or rather like the screenshots on the web).

Ati have got their act together BIG TIME. I went from a ATI 64mb ddr card to a geforce 3 and now im using a 9700pro and havnt had any problems at all (except my 300w generic psu wasnt powerful enough). Never had any strange driver issues or random reboots or anything with the omega catalyst drivers (although the standard drivers freeze upon install), but thats because I'm using windows98.

Honestly you will be doing yourself a big favour by taking the risk and getting a 9600pro (which out performs a 5900 in a few games (including half life 2) when using DX9.

Bottom line is this. If you plan on playing the odd DX9 game and don't want the latest drivers, get a 5600FX. If you want to be sure you can play any game at good framerates and use more or less any driver with good image quality, get a 9600pro or better card.

My 1 year old 9700pro (clocked at 9800pro speeds) performs much better than ANY nvidea card out now in 90% of DX9 games!!! Even at stock it would out perform in most games...

<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=7000747" target="_new"> 3D-2001 </A>
<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=1284380" target="_new"> 3D-03 </A>
<font color=red> 120% overclocker </font color=red> (cheapskate)

cleeve

Illustrious
You're looking for a Radeon 9800 PRO... oh, er. Sorry. You can't have that.

It's too good for you. Buy a GeforceFX 5900 ULTRA. Spend as much money on it as you can! Over $500 if possible.

(By the way, I will get better framerates than you in Half Life 2 with my $80 Radeon 9500 PRO)

------------------
Radeon 9500 (modded to PRO w/8 pixel pipelines)
AMD AthlonXP 2400+ (O/C to 2600+ with 143 fsb)
3dMark03: 3586

G

Captain Obvious says his fine senses detect a whiff of sarcasm!

<b><font color=red>Captain Obvious To The Rescue!!!</font color=red></b>

cleeve

Illustrious
Very astute of you, cap'n...

------------------
Radeon 9500 (modded to PRO w/8 pixel pipelines)
AMD AthlonXP 2400+ (O/C to 2600+ with 143 fsb)
3dMark03: 3586

ufo_warviper

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2001
We'vw done our best for you, we really have. If you want full DirectX9 Image Quality on the newer games, "Freakin' ATi" is your <b><i><font color=red>ONLY</b></i></font color=red> boat. If you are stuck on nVidia some reason, then now is not the time to upgrade. With a GeForce 3 Ti500, it's probably not time to upgrade anyway. I recently had a Radeon 8500LE that I loved to death, but I had to sell it to my Grandpa because he needed a new Graphics card. Your best option is to wait.

My OS features preemptive multitasking, a fully interactive command line, & support for 640K of RAM!

OzzieBloke

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2001
Meh... I wouldn't bother with an upgrade. ATI is the only way to go *currently*, and unless nVidia pull something amazing out of their recently rather lusterless hat, you'll be doing nothing except shooting yourself in the foot. Hang out for a bit, or buy an ATI card and learn how to twaek your system appropriately... or, wait around a bit for an XGI card... they look half decent.

-

I plugged my ram into my motherboard, but unplugged it when I smelled cooked mutton.

ufo_warviper

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2001
Just keep in mind that the Tron 2.0 barely touches on any of the new Graphic Features that Direct X 9 has to offer.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
That's why I recommended a DX8 card. nVidia's FX series doesn't properly support DX9. In fact, to make them run smoothly in DX9 games, the game either has to be modified to support "mixed mode" of DX8 and DX9 (with other things completely screwed), or you have to manually turn off certain DX9 features. With nVidia, a DX8 card will run faster than a DX9 cards at stock settings in unaltered DX9 games, because DX9 features will be automatically turned off! Yes, DX9 games run on DX8 cards, in fact I run them on my old DX7 card.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

bandikoot

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2003
I know that, and that is also probably the reason why I don't remember noticing hardly any differences between the game run on my card and my friend's gf4ti4200. I just saw Tron 2.0 and felt like making a comment. :smile:

ufo_warviper

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2001
What is your old DX7 card? I do alot of gaming on my laptop and it has the Mobility Radeon 7500C. Is that one basically half of a regular radeon 7500? Even If it is, well I have to say this laptop's card ain't so bad because I haven't installed a game yet that won't run well on a decent settiing.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I using a Radeon LE DDR TVO. Basically a slightly stripped down version of the Radeon DDR VIVO. Same PCB, half the RAM, some features disabled or downclocked. Mines overclocked to retail speed using RAMsinks, and has the disabled features re-enabled through reg hacks.

ufo_warviper

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2001
Do the Mobility Radeon 7500c's have trimmed down pipelines, etc? I've heard that Mobility Radeons are basically "Half of a Radeon" before. So, I am wondering if the Mobility Radeon 7500C is half of a Radeon 7500 Add-in card.

addiarmadar

Distinguished
May 26, 2003
Well may just wanna stick with wat you have. Could get the ti4600 but Im not totally convinced that it would be fully worth it.

F-DISK-Format-Reinstal DO DA!! DO DA!!

ufo_warviper

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2001
It would certainly be faster, but definitely not worth it. I'd say get a 9800 or stick with what he's got & pray that the NV40 is not as bad of a turd as the NV3X.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I don't know, I've never looked into it before.